2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 3.6l Engine Knock

Vansjl

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Hello and TIA! I have a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara w/ the 3.6l, auto trans, at 88k miles, mostly highway. This Jeep has been babied and never abused. It started with a hollow knocking noise from the front. I initially suspected it was the cam chain tensioner/guides (had similar sound from a Charger I owned and was the tensioner and guides). Two days later, the knocking got much worse and louder. Took it to the dealer, they initially thought cam, lifter, tensioner as well. They wanted $900 to open it up but stopped as the shop foreman said it wasn't worth it, it now has upper and lower knocking. Very rough running, now burning oil (oil change 350 miles ago and now black), oil filter shredded, flashing cel, and of course now the cat is fouled and needs replaced. Pulled the codes: P0420, P0300, P0301, P0303, V0109, and P025A. Last two don't make sense as it still runs. Pulled #1 and #3 spark plug, both oil fouled but not damaged. So, long story short, has anyone had an engine failure like this? FCA touts this engine very well, but to have a catastrophic failure like this seems unreasonable. BTW, no warranty left...

Just looking for some opinions about cause (I know wide open subject)? I'm going to call the regional FCA rep for starters on Monday, but would like some more info before I do and what to tell them and ask for, other than a new engine.

Thanks for your time!
Sponsored

Mike hart

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jk
Hello and TIA! I have a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara w/ the 3.6l, auto trans, at 88k miles, mostly highway. This Jeep has been babied and never abused. It started with a hollow knocking noise from the front. I initially suspected it was the cam chain tensioner/guides (had similar sound from a Charger I owned and was the tensioner and guides). Two days later, the knocking got much worse and louder. Took it to the dealer, they initially thought cam, lifter, tensioner as well. They wanted $900 to open it up but stopped as the shop foreman said it wasn't worth it, it now has upper and lower knocking. Very rough running, now burning oil (oil change 350 miles ago and now black), oil filter shredded, flashing cel, and of course now the cat is fouled and needs replaced. Pulled the codes: P0420, P0300, P0301, P0303, V0109, and P025A. Last two don't make sense as it still runs. Pulled #1 and #3 spark plug, both oil fouled but not damaged. So, long story short, has anyone had an engine failure like this? FCA touts this engine very well, but to have a catastrophic failure like this seems unreasonable. BTW, no warranty left...

Just looking for some opinions about cause (I know wide open subject)? I'm going to call the regional FCA rep for starters on Monday, but would like some more info before I do and what to tell them and ask for, other than a new engine.

Thanks for your time!
I’m dealing with something like that for the past month. Has a misfire Had the p0301,p0302 code Replaced plugs, coils, injectors. Then start hearing a tapping. Replaced the lifters rockers and cam phasers. Bad lifters on cylinders 1 and 2. Still runs rough and taps. Have you found out what your problem is

OP
OP

Vansjl

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I’m dealing with something like that for the past month. Has a misfire Had the p0301,p0302 code Replaced plugs, coils, injectors. Then start hearing a tapping. Replaced the lifters rockers and cam phasers. Bad lifters on cylinders 1 and 2. Still runs rough and taps. Have you found out what your problem is
Its got the same thing along with damaged cams. Pulled the pan off and found a fine mix of sludge like what you would find in a worn out transmission. Very fine shiny material. Had a Chrysler Jeep tech look at it, probably all aluminum. It is an aluminum engine which means it's all toast. Bearing pockets are machined into the block so no bearing inserts like a steel block engine. Tapping could be the cam chain and tensioners but may be piston rods bearings or main bearings. Only way to tell is to take it all apart. We are going to get a long block for ours... Sorry for the bad news...

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
What oil have you been using and what mileage between services? Bad news for you, sorry, but it might be good to know.

OP
OP

Vansjl

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
What oil have you been using and what mileage between services? Bad news for you, sorry, but it might be good to know.
Using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0-20( think that's right off the top of my head), MFR spec weight. Changes about 3k to 3.5k miles.
Sponsored