Sponsored

2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon Recon Edition??

Tomthebomb

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 unlimited
Was all set to purchase 2017 recon until I seen artistic Concepts of JL. I wanted the ability to put 35 inch tires on it without a lift. Does anyone know if the JL will also have a “recon” edition?
Sponsored

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Was all set to purchase 2017 recon until I seen artistic Concepts of JL. I wanted the ability to put 35 inch tires on it without a lift. Does anyone know if the JL will also have a “recon” edition?
You'll be able to 35's on a standard Rubicon without a lift. However no "recon" model yet. That being said the standard JL Rubicon comes much more loaded then a JK recon. You'll get the following standard items:

hood vents, raised front fenders, better MPG, 8 speed auto, 4.10 gear ratio's, 33's (which can probably be sold more easily then the old rubi tires if you go with 35's) better interior with larger screen, back up camera, and more importantly a new design that looks modern and aggressive.

Just some food for thought.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
It would almost make sense to offer a 35" tire option as that would be one of the first things I would change. Oh unless that severely impacts their CAFE ratings.....

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Will the optional strengthened tail gate hinges be able to handle 33"/35" wheels? 10 years ago, my Wrangler came with 'over-sized' OEM wheels. Within two years, the tail gate had warped enough that I had to have the hinges cut out and replaced with oversized strengthened ones.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
It was many years before any special editions came out for the JK. The first one for the rubicon was the call of duty and that was five years in I believe.
I was in same boat as you about recon and was about to buy one, but like others said the JL adapted many things recon came with plus more! Get the JL, it will be able to handle 35s. Look at the new photos how much space you have under the high line fenders. Can probably do it stock and if you want more articulation a 2” will be cheap eventually!

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
However, as the Rubicon is celebrating it’s 15th Anniversay, it’s quite possible that there is a Rubi Special Edition next March.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Recon will most likely come with the HiLine fenders which hopefully will allow for 35s.

Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR

Beachcomber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
The JK Rubicon Recon edition will eat the lunch of any 2019-2020 JL Rubicon. Period end of story. That was the strongest most capable vehicle ever produced by the Chrysler “Wrangler” dept.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The JK Rubicon Recon edition will eat the lunch of any 2019-2020 JL Rubicon. Period end of story. That was the strongest most capable vehicle ever produced by the Chrysler “Wrangler” dept.
The recon didn’t have any real advantages over a JK rubicon at the time besides some decent looking unique body mounted sliders. Sure, it was “lifted” from the factory, but nobody was crawling a stick JK, and a JL rubi puts it to shame.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
The recon didn’t have any real advantages over a JK rubicon at the time besides some decent looking unique body mounted sliders. Sure, it was “lifted” from the factory, but nobody was crawling a stick JK, and a JL rubi puts it to shame.
It also had a stronger front axle. It came with a unique version of Ultimate Dana 44. So it had thicker tubes and better C's than the standard Rubicon.
Sponsored