2018 JL Wrangler Engine Bearing Failure

loganbsummers

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler 4 Dr, 2018 on order
I have a 2018 Wrangler with 37,000 miles on it. Engine light came on back in Sept 2020. Dealer found nothing wrong and reset the light (the code indicated multiple cylinder misfires). Forward to early May 2021 and the engine light came on again. Took it to the dealership and again they found nothing and reset the warning (same cylinder misfire code). Left the dealership and 2 miles later the light came back on along with an intermittent loss of engine power. Brought it back to the dealership and got a call the next morning asking me for oil change records. Said the engine "sounded like it was on its last legs." Thankfully I did have all records and sent them. FCA asked the dealership to tear down the engine to diagnose the issue and they found a failed engine bearing. Engine is toast. FCA is covering a replacement engine and a loaner. Parts are on backorder so there is no timeframe for getting my Jeep back.

The dealership has been helpful I have no complaints there -- just wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue...
Sponsored

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Back in the 3.8 JK days bearings caused a lot of motors to go out, but nearly all of them were from an oil consumption problem. Curious if you ever checked the oil level?

OP
OP

loganbsummers

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler 4 Dr, 2018 on order
Back in the 3.8 JK days bearings caused a lot of motors to go out, but nearly all of them were from an oil consumption problem. Curious if you ever checked the oil level?
Honestly I didn't -- just got the oil changed when the oil life was low. When I spoke to the mechanic who's done all of the oil changes, he said the prescribed oil change interval is about twice what he thinks it should be. My changes were roughly at every 10,000 miles.

Sponsored

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Honestly I didn't -- just got the oil changed when the oil life was low. When I spoke to the mechanic who's done all of the oil changes, he said the prescribed oil change interval is about twice what he thinks it should be. My changes were roughly at every 10,000 miles.
Iā€™ve heard quite a few respected mechanics say that the 10k oil changes are bullshit. I stick with 3k on my conventional change for my jk.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Iā€™ve heard quite a few respected mechanics say that the 10k oil changes are bullshit. I stick with 3k on my conventional change for my jk.
With oil consumption specs as high as they are these days on most vehicles, I wouldnā€™t ever go 10k.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
At FedEx they just doubled the oil change interval and still stay in warranty. 72,000 miles now between oil changes! Including the first one. Oil lasts longer than most think.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military

Having the oil changed every 10,000 miles will not have anything to do with any part of the engine failing. Oil lasts much longer than most people expect.
It doesnā€™t hurt and makes people feel better to change it at shorter intervals, but completely unnecessary. Your oil changes are just fine.
The problem is the engine. Thereā€™s been lots of issues with the 3.6 engine in the JL.
Surprisingly, the most reliable engine in the JL so far is the 2.0 turbo. Who woulda thunkā€¦.

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Issue with 10K changes and if the engine uses oil, say a qt every 4K, ( allow a qt every 1000), it will be 2.5 qts low by the 10K oil and that is the problem, most folks never check oil anymore.

And at my local store, go in the shop all the time and have only scene a few older 3.6's getting anything major done. Now the Fiat Multi air 2.4, well folks run em out of oil all the time going 10K oil changes LOL

Change your damn oil at 5K dont go thru all this BS to say a few bucks!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
At FedEx they just doubled the oil change interval and still stay in warranty. 72,000 miles now between oil changes! Including the first one. Oil lasts longer than most think.
that could not possibly be less relevant.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Thanks for pointing it out.
These forums last forever, and are likely the first pages to be found when a person searches for information on their vehicle. The last thing they need is to think that they can go 10x the OCI without issue.