Sponsored

2018 JL Wrangler 3.6L Dyno Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
It will all be a mute point when the only unleaded gas available will be premium, but that won’t be for another 15 plus years.
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
So is the engine weak or just a "I wish it had more" affair.

My understanding is the Sport and other non-ruby models come with 3.40 or thereabouts gears. This could be the culprit in an effort to get their mpg numbers up. Wonder if the Rubicon owners with 4.10's feel different about their motors and if not did they put bigger tires on and not regear?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Ruby and likely go 37s and I will regear. Likely 4.88s

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
My Sahara with the 8-speed auto pulls nicely. Im surprised every time I floor it to pass on the highway that it can take a 4500 pound vehicle from 70-90 that quickly! I dont hit 90 often but when I need it it is there. We have super-speeder laws here in GA, so I try to be judicious with my over 85 MPH events.

Is it my old beemer fast??? no, but you cant take that up the side of a mountain either.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So is the engine weak or just a "I wish it had more" affair.

My understanding is the Sport and other non-ruby models come with 3.40 or thereabouts gears. This could be the culprit in an effort to get their mpg numbers up. Wonder if the Rubicon owners with 4.10's feel different about their motors and if not did they put bigger tires on and not regear?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Ruby and likely go 37s and I will regear. Likely 4.88s
No, I wouldn't say it's weak. It's low on torque, but then again a lot of V6 engines are these days as automakers are choosing to focus on horsepower and fuel economy instead. I find that the JL Pentastar is actually pretty fast on stock tires, and with 34" aftermarket tires and wheels which are heavy it still drives fine and will reach 60 miles per hour in plenty of time.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
yes the manual makes the extremely poor torque of these engines very apparent. any driving below 2000 rpm. sucks !
And I thought I was crazy. I find myself shifting waaaay more in the JL compared to the JK. Both manual trans 6 speeds. Is the hp/torque curve different in the JL compared to the JK? Did something get tweaked? I'm getting much less power in low rpms and much more power (it seems) in higher rpms. Benefit? I seem to be getting way better gas mileage in the JL.

Sponsored

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
yes the manual makes the extremely poor torque of these engines very apparent. any driving below 2000 rpm. sucks !
I have to admit, the low end tq on the 3.6 is not impressing me. It's almost like it's running on 5 cylinders until it hits 2K, then preforms fairly well. I really don't think it's actually only running on 5, but it's probably the rpm the variable valve timing makes a change. It's almost like at 2K, there's a mechanical or electrical timing change that kicks in.
Or I guess it may be possible it's pulling timing away due to low octane fuel when it's <2K rpm. I'll put a few tanks of 93 octane through it and see if it makes any difference (along with fuel mileage.)

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I have to admit, the low end tq on the 3.6 is not impressing me. It's almost like it's running on 5 cylinders until it hits 2K, then preforms fairly well. I really don't think it's actually only running on 5, but it's probably the rpm the variable valve timing makes a change. It's almost like at 2K, there's a mechanical or electrical timing change that kicks in.
Or I guess it may be possible it's pulling timing away due to low octane fuel when it's <2K rpm. I'll put a few tanks of 93 octane through it and see if it makes any difference (along with fuel mileage.)
I agree to a point, but there's a simple solution: Downshift when you need more torque and higher rpms.

A Jeep isn't a muscle car, a sports car or a stump-pulling monster 4x4.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I think the engine is awesome. Like @Biscuit said, its not a muscle car. For this V6 that people are complaining about to be able to get a 4500 pound brick from 0-60 in 6.5 seconds is pretty incredible.

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
I agree to a point, but there's a simple solution: Downshift when you need more torque and higher rpms.
Wow...I'll have to try that...:cwl:
I was just noting, there seems to be a dramatic difference in tq right @ 2k rpm.

Jeepcity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon tj rubicon yj cj 8 cj 7 cherokee
Off roaders need torque to recover from shock loads, l use this jeep off road.That is what it is designed for,shifting down breaks traction .

Sponsored

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
For this V6 that people are complaining about to be able to get a 4500 pound brick from 0-60 in 6.5 seconds is pretty incredible.
I tried searching and reading several websites that came up and the 0-60 times mentioned in the jlwranglerforum tend to be at least 1 second quicker than what others find. Are you talking about the JL or the JLU?

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
Just curious about it, but would it be possible that they let the weaker low end range window as it is because they intended for BSG to go with the V6 all along?

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
To me, the 3.6 feels completely different in the auto. In the manual it feels slow and heavy. In the auto it feels much lighter on its feet. Great engine with wonderful reliability. Although just changed spark plugs in the wifes JK and that was a PITA. 120,000 miles and no problems other than a cracked thermostat housing which took 20 min to replace.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I think the engine is awesome. Like @Biscuit said, its not a muscle car. For this V6 that people are complaining about to be able to get a 4500 pound brick from 0-60 in 6.5 seconds is pretty incredible.
A JL would only hit 0-60 in 6.5 seconds if it was pushed out the back of an airplane.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.