2018 JL sport power door locks

kdotv23

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Sport
That install is very clean! Can you please shoot over the links for the universal switches used?
Thanks! The switch was from the installer. I'm sure a lot of car audio/alarm install places have them which is where I got my locks and switch installed.

Whats also nice about getting power locks is they programmed the keyless alarm to unlock the driver door by pressing the key fob once and unlocks all doors with another press. Auto lock also programmed when all doors are closed and engine is turned on, while also unlocking the doors when you put it back to park and turn off the engine.

I don't mind not having power windows but not having power locks was such a hassle.

Now waiting on the latch for the rear gate which they already wired up, I just need to pop off the panel and install.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Thanks! The switch was from the installer. I'm sure a lot of car audio/alarm install places have them which is where I got my locks and switch installed.

Whats also nice about getting power locks is they programmed the keyless alarm to unlock the driver door by pressing the key fob once and unlocks all doors with another press. Auto lock also programmed when all doors are closed and engine is turned on, while also unlocking the doors when you put it back to park and turn off the engine.

I don't mind not having power windows but not having power locks was such a hassle.

Now waiting on the latch for the rear gate which they already wired up, I just need to pop off the panel and install.
Did you use same keyless alarm I used in my blog? I didn’t wire mine like but now wish I had, to open drivers first. I may do it like you did but for the rear hatch. Who knows. Honestly I don’t mind just opening all doors at once though.

kdotv23

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Sport
Did you use same keyless alarm I used in my blog? I didn’t wire mine like but now wish I had, to open drivers first. I may do it like you did but for the rear hatch. Who knows. Honestly I don’t mind just opening all doors at once though.
I did not. The dealer installed a Voxx Pursuit alarm and the lock installer was able to program it.

I like having the driver door unlock with just one press, more of a safety feature. A little paranoid about having all doors unlock if its just me driving but especially when my girlfriend drives it by herself.

Thanks for the write up Ruben!

Btw, I asked the dealer who installed the alarm which is also the place we bought our JL from and they had to ask a 3rd party to do the install. They quoted me $1347 for 4 doors and tail gate. I passed on that with a quickness and found my own 3rd party installer who had a lot of excellent reviews on yelp and google.

Kapoosh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just finished up my install last night. Used a viper keyless/alarm system and it all works great minus the tailgate. I'll have to order the power latch for the tailgate and get it installed. Should be a simple swap since everything is already wired.

Has anyone gotten their hands on the power latch for the tailgate or is it really on backorder?

Sponsored

Kapoosh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm fairly certain you could use the passenger front latch as it looks identical to the one in the tailgate...my dealer said that's also back ordered though.

winkopp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
I'm fairly certain you could use the passenger front latch as it looks identical to the one in the tailgate...my dealer said that's also back ordered though.
I would agree, the only difference I can see comparing the two parts are the attachment points for the bolts. One has a slight depression for cone shaped boltheads and the other has a flat plate for the bolt plates.

20190227_100103.jpg

winkopp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
My dealer finally found a tailgate power latch, installed and working. Job complete.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Thats good to hear Gentlemen, even though my write-up was not the greatest, glad you were able to benefit from it.

Sponsored

Fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
I did not. The dealer installed a Voxx Pursuit alarm and the lock installer was able to program it.

I like having the driver door unlock with just one press, more of a safety feature. A little paranoid about having all doors unlock if its just me driving but especially when my girlfriend drives it by herself.

Thanks for the write up Ruben!

Btw, I asked the dealer who installed the alarm which is also the place we bought our JL from and they had to ask a 3rd party to do the install. They quoted me $1347 for 4 doors and tail gate. I passed on that with a quickness and found my own 3rd party installer who had a lot of excellent reviews on yelp and google.
Hi Kevin,

I live in Phoenix as well and want to pursue power locks on my JL. Would you please share who the 3rd party was that you used? Thank you.

JLWranglerJL

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
I just finished installing OEM power latches on all 5 doors and I wired them to the BCM. I installed new door panels that I bought on eBay. The door panels have the OEM lock switches which I also wired to the BCM. The lock switches unlock and lock the doors fine without any BCM programming. I called a local dealership and they said they can program my BCM to have speed sensitive locks and they can program a new fobiks with the lock and unlock button. I'll probably get this done in a week or two. At the same time I also installed power windows on all four doors. This took me around 10-12 hours of work.

zachart96

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport
I just finished installing OEM power latches on all 5 doors and I wired them to the BCM. I installed new door panels that I bought on eBay. The door panels have the OEM lock switches which I also wired to the BCM. The lock switches unlock and lock the doors fine without any BCM programming. I called a local dealership and they said they can program my BCM to have speed sensitive locks and they can program a new fobiks with the lock and unlock button. I'll probably get this done in a week or two. At the same time I also installed power windows on all four doors. This took me around 10-12 hours of work.
What was the rough cost on all of it?

JLWranglerJL

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
It cost $270-300 for the power latches for power locks and around $800-900 for the all parts needed to do the power windows. Then you have to buy a wires. I bought the wire color that the wiring diagram shows and the correct pins to insert to the appropriate connector. That cost me around $100. It was costly but it turned out great. Since I inserted pins to the OEM connectors when I'm taking the doors off I'm still only taking that single connector off not multiple. If someone needs a parts list message me. I believe I still have everything in a word file. Also another thing to note is that body harness is already wired to run power locks and power windows to the rear doors and swing gate. Basically you only need to run wires for the front two doors.
Sponsored