First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Hey can you share how you wired these up? I have the locks and harnesses but wasn’t sure if I could actually use the harness with a viper box (expecting to retrofit it). Or if I should do some custom solution. Thanks!
I posted a crappy write up on my blog here POWER LOCK INSTALL

I have the wiring diagrams if you need them. Basically all doors except driver side have a 4-pin Connector that goes into the LOCK ACTUATOR> You only need to concern yourself with the Unlock and Lock. On all 3 doors + Swing gate(which already contains a power lock actuator, so no need to buy) The Unlock is pin 1 and Lock is Pin 2. For the Driver side door its a 8-pin connector and the UNLOCK is pin 5 and LOCK is pin 6.

You also need the 451m Relay to go with the viper alarm. So basically what I did was bought 50 feet of Green Wire and 50 ft of White. I used Green for UNLOCK and White for Lock. Basically they all splice in together and you connect it to the UNLOCK of the 451m relay and the whites for LOCK all SPLICE into the LOCK wire of the 451M relay.

Where in Tx are you located? If you need help on how i switched out the pins and harness I can do a video. its so hard to explain typing.
Sponsored

Tragdor

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I’m in Austin. Let me spend some time with your write up but I may take you up on that offer for a video. Thanks a ton for explaining this!

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
I’m in Austin. Let me spend some time with your write up but I may take you up on that offer for a video. Thanks a ton for explaining this!
Absolutely. When you actually tear into it and need help pm me your number or I’ll give you mine so we can talk or you can text me pics of where your at.

cnolff

First Name
Cyntia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I bought a JL about 3 weeks ago. I also wanted Auto locking doors since we already locked our keys inside, luckily we were home and used the spare to get in. I broke down and am having a professional company install door locks. These are OEM door locks because they said the aftermarket locks are having problems jamming after they are installed. The cost is $800.00 but worth it.
Hello, would you mind telling me the name of the company that installed your power door locks? I already locked myself out a few times, power locks would be great. Thank you so much.

Joe kenzo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jl
Did you make any videos about that

I have the wiring diagrams if you need them. Basically all doors except driver side have a 4-pin Connector that goes into the LOCK ACTUATOR> You only need to concern yourself with the Unlock and Lock. On all 3 doors + Swing gate(which already contains a power lock actuator, so no need to buy) The Unlock is pin 1 and Lock is Pin 2. For the Driver side door its a 8-pin connector and the UNLOCK is pin 5 and LOCK is pin 6.

You also need the 451m Relay to go with the viper alarm. So basically what I did was bought 50 feet of Green Wire and 50 ft of White. I used Green for UNLOCK and White for Lock. Basically they all splice in together and you connect it to the UNLOCK of the 451m relay and the whites for LOCK all SPLICE into the LOCK wire of the 451M relay.

Where in Tx are you located? If you need help on how i switched out the pins and harness I can do a video. its so hard to explain typing.[/QUOTE

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Yes. I’ll try to find it when I get to office.

Professor JL

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I’m about to attempt this install too. Would love to see a video. Thanks so much for your very thorough write up!

algoo31

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
What was the rough price in parts to do the install yourself?? Looking for a good winter break project. :)

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
I attached my carts for the Door Latches and the wiring jumpers. The Wiring jumpers are not the ones for each door, i basically bought those to just pull the actual Plugs.

I'd say after its all said and down I was under 250 in parts.

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 3.51.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 3.47.00 PM.png

Sponsored

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase

aklino

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Concerning the giant key fob that everyone hates, would this same system work to disable the ignition, thereby allowing the fob to be safely buried in the dash somewhere? The biggest annoyance for me (granted, I've only had my JLU for 5 days) is carrying that monster in my pocket. Remote lock/unlock would be super cool (great write up, BTW), but being able to eliminate the necessity of carrying that massive pocket boulder would be life changing.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Concerning the giant key fob that everyone hates, would this same system work to disable the ignition, thereby allowing the fob to be safely buried in the dash somewhere? The biggest annoyance for me (granted, I've only had my JLU for 5 days) is carrying that monster in my pocket. Remote lock/unlock would be super cool (great write up, BTW), but being able to eliminate the necessity of carrying that massive pocket boulder would be life changing.

Well for sure you can keep the fob hidden somewhere int he jeep, just keep in mind if someone were to break in they could just drive off.

However, I didn't do this, but you could technically WIRE the alarm to act as a KILL SWITCH so that if someone did break in while alarm was going off etc, they couldn't drive off. I'm still waiting for the Day that someone makes a programmable key fob that can function as a door lock and unlock PLUS have the built in CODE to use Keyless start.

aklino

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Well for sure you can keep the fob hidden somewhere int he jeep, just keep in mind if someone were to break in they could just drive off.

However, I didn't do this, but you could technically WIRE the alarm to act as a KILL SWITCH so that if someone did break in while alarm was going off etc, they couldn't drive off. I'm still waiting for the Day that someone makes a programmable key fob that can function as a door lock and unlock PLUS have the built in CODE to use Keyless start.
The reason I ask is because the alarm system you used is titled as "Avital 3100LX 3-Channel Keyless Entry Car Alarm with Remotes and Failsafe Starter Kill-Set". That got me to thinking, if it has the starter "killed" while the system is armed, then I wouldn't need the OEM fob on me. I'd simply need to disarm the system, and drive away. I guess I'll go look at the product documentation myself. I was just asking in case you already knew the answer. Thanks again for the awesome write-up -- I'm definitely going this route one way or another!

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Oh I agree. Yes you can certainly do that. I just don't know how on a push to start system you would accomplish that. I'm pretty sure with enough research you could find out which wire you need to tap into and it would work. Let me know what you find out.
Sponsored