2018 JL Rubicon - Loose/dead stop in steering

TeeravX

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
@JIMBOX you were totally right. The Jeep I picked up yesterday had way more defined turning than the one I happened to test drive several weeks before.

There was a mild bit of play initially, then I dropped the tire pressure to spec (45 -> 37) per your recommendation, and it's exactly the kind of steering I was looking for.

I feel for all the people that have the steering problems and hope they keep on it. Having driven one with the problem, I can't stress how irritating it is.
Sponsored

Jerolife

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep jl sport
Occupation
Has waste process engineering
This is a new JL with 200 miles on it and the steering feels loose (Jeep wanders), While driving it feels like there is a “dead spot” in my steering from about center point of the steering for about 1/2" on either side of center. Has any one else had this issue with their JL. Any help would be awesome. Thank guys!
Same thing with mine and now it feels like the front wheel is going to all off when I drive over sharp bumps

tom1000

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
To those thinking the problem is noobie Wrangler owners, I invite you to load up your precious family in my JL and take them across country, I promise you after 100 miles you will be pulling a U turn. This is a safety issue that can not be passed on.
I agree having to constantly move the steering wheel up to four inches to make a minor directional change to keep the vehicle between the lines is most certainly a safety issue and must be addressed. Thanks for the post. Tom

Dbafundo

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon unlimited
Normal and everyone will get used to it in there own time. I felt the same way when we bought our first JKU years ago after driving cars for a long time. Enough of a dead zone to keep you alert on road and your hands safe off road. I personally don't want a tight over sensitive steering feel in a Wrangler.
Must be a dealer.

Seriously have you driven one?”jl”?

I had a 2006 rubi that had 3in lift and 37’s didn’t drive like my 19 rubi with 2 in lift and 35’s..

Nowhere near normal..

Dbafundo

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon unlimited
you guys/girls should have driven my old CJ-7s. They were known to have extremely loose steering as time went on. I swear I had a good 1 1/2" dead spot to either side of center. I was used to it but man, was it fun watching others try driving it for the first time!
Haha wish it was inch and a half.. I can move mine from 10 o’clock to 2 o’clock and not have the vehicle move a millimeter..

But when I don’t adjust it’s all over the fucking place.

Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Haha wish it was inch and a half.. I can move mine from 10 o’clock to 2 o’clock and not have the vehicle move a millimeter..

But when I don’t adjust it’s all over the fucking place.
That doesnt sound driveable ! Park it and go snook fishing !

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JlUR 2016 GT350 2017 Laramie
That doesnt sound driveable ! Park it and go snook fishing !
I have a 2020 JLUR same thing, noticed it immediately...lowered the pressure from 41 to 36, much better but on hte highway with crosswinds, I'm constantly adjusting back and forth through the 1 inch deadzones until it bites. My JKU was tight, my GT350 tighter...I just want consistancy I think, I don't like that disconnected feeling I get at 11:30-12:30

Even if it is intentional make it a toggle -onroad-offroad

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I just picked up our 19 JLUS and had driven a ‘20 the day before that drove like any other car/truck to me. The one I could come to a deal on has what feels like slack in an old steering gearbox but it’s not too bad. Maybe a 1/2” of slack where the ‘20 required effort left and right like normal. The dead spot let me drift a little and feeling like I’m overcorrecting at times to get it where I wanted in the lane.

Does this sound like backlash and can it be taken up with an adjustment like old steering gearboxes to my liking?

Thanks

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I just picked up our 19 JLUS and had driven a ‘20 the day before that drove like any other car/truck to me. The one I could come to a deal on has what feels like slack in an old steering gearbox but it’s not too bad. Maybe a 1/2” of slack where the ‘20 required effort left and right like normal. The dead spot let me drift a little and feeling like I’m overcorrecting at times to get it where I wanted in the lane.

Does this sound like backlash and can it be taken up with an adjustment like old steering gearboxes to my liking?

Thanks
There are thousands of posts on this. The JL box should NOT be adjusted according to the factory. The sector shaft adjusting screw has red Loctite on it, so heat it up if you're going to try and make adjustments. Some steering boxes have seen improvement from adjustment, while others have not. I had an older rev AC box and no amount of sector shaft adjustment helped it. The slop was probably in the bearing pre-load. IMHO, the steering boxes on the JL are crap, and cause most of the steering problems after correcting loose ball joints and tire pressure.

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
This is a new JL with 200 miles on it and the steering feels loose (Jeep wanders), While driving it feels like there is a “dead spot” in my steering from about center point of the steering for about 1/2" on either side of center. Has any one else had this issue with their JL. Any help would be awesome. Thank guys!
That's a Jeep thing sorry to tell yuh.

There is nothing you can do to get rid of that.
(You can tighten the "feeling" just a hair with an adjustable stabilizer but even that wont do much)
Sponsored