JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
i'd loveit, if it was like my RAM "STINGER YELLOW"-

She's got elex RACK/PINION and there's no "dead" spots, immediate control and NO PLAY, so

I'm pretty spoiled--maybe not !

Whatever

JIMBO
Sponsored

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Intrigued how many reporting this are first time Wrangler owners.

It's pretty normal to have a good bit of play in the steering wheel. If you take it off road, especially in rocks, but even falling off a rut in the mud, you'll appreciate that play and the fact it doesn't snap as hard.
Agree to that !
People with a background of driving cars only will definitely feel weird...
I learned how to drive in the French army on that vehicle in the pic, and definitely felt like in that gif
Lol
Bottomline is my JL drives great ! :)

48FC961F-05B2-458D-887D-1546E6E76F4F.jpeg

D31AE593-1F48-4F53-A268-99AD02C35481.gif

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
First time owner, I agree it felt odd at first. Took about 3 days to get used to it and now it feels normal. 1500 miles in and it’s nothing. It just takes some getting used to! We’re all used to direct steering, for obvious reason this isn’t like that. Now, I can’t tell the difference from any typical car vs the Jeep. The only difference I feel is the electric assisted steering which is significantly smoother than hydraulic power steering!

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Agree to that !
I learned how to drive in the French army on that vehicle in the pic, and definitely felt like in that gif
Lol
Bottomline is my JL drives great ! :)

48FC961F-05B2-458D-887D-1546E6E76F4F.jpeg

D31AE593-1F48-4F53-A268-99AD02C35481.gif
Would love to have one of those Mercedes G-Wagons...

Rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep j l 2016 Ram R T
This is a new JL with 200 miles on it and the steering feels loose (Jeep wanders), While driving it feels like there is a “dead spot” in my steering from about center point of the steering for about 1/2" on either side of center. Has any one else had this issue with their JL. Any help would be awesome. Thank guys!
Had similar issues My J L had 75 miles when wife and I went on a short trip to Indian Town Gap , not bad on way up like driving on windy day , but no wind. On way back 10 times worse
constantly correcting drift from side to side and when making a long sweep around corners, at end had to tug on wheel to strengthen out same way going straight while drifting left or right , trip was only 150 miles but seened like 1000 miles. Had jeep out once since then, no problems drove like all my others just fine.

Sponsored

Texcal

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Mine had 47lbs in the tires from the dealer, which is 10lbs over the door jam sticker. I have lower the pressure down to 37 then 35 then 32 to try and find a spot where it felt better with very little luck. But any pressure below 35 will set off the tire pressure warning lamp. I find it hard to anyone would just live with this, my one ton truck drive better.
Mine as well. I had 47lbs in all four. JL Rubicon. Cruising at 37lbs all around now.

My steering feels pretty good at all speeds. Very responsive. That said, this is my first wrangler. I had a 01 Grand Cherokee and it was a bit more loose but consistent.

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
Daily drive a 2001 Cherokee and had an 04 rubicon.

Test drove a 2018 JKUR and today a JLUR.

I noticed the steering issue as noted by OP.

Not terrible but I preferred the JKUR steering/driving but way prefer the styling of JLUR..

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
While driving it feels like there is a “dead spot” in my steering from about center point of the steering for about 1/2" on either side of center.
All Jeeps I have driven have a bit of play , so we can take our time while at play . You wouldn't want a little push by your dog to send your Jeep of a cliff , lol .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Merci beaucoup pour votre service militaire .

OP
OP

IPSCOJL

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018SRT
All Jeeps I have driven have a bit of play , so we can take our time while at play . You wouldn't want a little push by your dog to send your Jeep of a cliff , lol .
It's called Backlash and the jeep has to much in the steering box, and its adds to the wandering this jeep does. You can say "IT A JEEP THING" but its not right, and need to be address by Jeep.

Sponsored

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
giphy.gif

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
After reading some other posts it seems Jeep will replaced the steering box for you if it's bad enough. So, if you're not comfortable with it or it feels unsafe or can't be driven with one hand then I'd recommend seeing your dealer about it. For me, I can drive comfortably with one hand and have no issues. It does wander some, but not enough to where I can't keep it going straight. Even my 20yr old son drives it and doesn't mind although he looks more like the cat in the previous post. He doesn't drive much anyway.

OP
OP

IPSCOJL

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018SRT
After reading some other posts it seems Jeep will replaced the steering box for you if it's bad enough. So, if you're not comfortable with it or it feels unsafe or can't be driven with one hand then I'd recommend seeing your dealer about it. For me, I can drive comfortably with one hand and have no issues. It does wander some, but not enough to where I can't keep it going straight. Even my 20yr old son drives it and doesn't mind although he looks more like the cat in the previous post. He doesn't drive much anyway.
It's the only thing i really dislike about the jeep, I'm just waiting for Jeep to step up and fix it. The dealers around here just say it a jeep thing, but there are to many JK owners who also say it has way more wandering then their JK have or had. Do Not know why the dealer do not want to fix the issue as they get paid by JEEP for warranty work. I had ask two local dealer two days after buying the JL to check the alignment, but said they would only do it on my dime because all the other JL's on the lot drive the same and I'll bet they all have 47PSI in the tires too. That just tell me they do not have a clue about this new JL and I do not trust them to get anything right.

DanPop

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Unlimited Sport S
Intrigued how many reporting this are first time Wrangler owners.

It's pretty normal to have a good bit of play in the steering wheel. If you take it off road, especially in rocks, but even falling off a rut in the mud, you'll appreciate that play and the fact it doesn't snap as hard.
To those thinking the problem is noobie Wrangler owners, I invite you to load up your precious family in my JL and take them across country, I promise you after 100 miles you will be pulling a U turn. This is a safety issue that can not be passed on.
Sponsored