2018 JL Radio and USB port dead?

acaiozzo

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I've got a 2018 JLU with 30k mi - last night I pulled into my garage and shut off my Jeep normally. Started it an hour later - radio/display is 100% dead (including backup camera) and the USB port is as well - though the LED around the USB ports do flash periodically.

I've pulled F11 and 97 - together, separately and have also disconnected the battery - to no avail. I've checked the fuses - swapped them out for spares - no dice. Have also tried soft reset using the volume and tune dials/ buttons and have driven it a couple of times today hoping that it would magically come back to life - not so much. I've got a service appt set up for next Weds but would love to figure this out on my own first.

Any other ideas out there as to how to diagnose this before I start taking my dash apart?

TIA!
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Any other ideas out there as to how to diagnose this before I start taking my dash apart?
Nothing else you can do. Leave it be until your appointment.

OP
OP

acaiozzo

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
:( What about if it wasn't under warranty? What would one do then?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Sad to hear your radio died, it does happen sometimes. Search the Marketplace for a replacement, maybe even an upgrade. Not sure which radio you currently have but all the various models show up for sale there. There are a few aftermarket replacements available to but I have no experience with them.
Gregj

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
:( What about if it wasn't under warranty? What would one do then?
Pay.

Did you disconnect/remove power to "both" batteries? If you disconnect only the main battery, the aux battery still is connected depending on the control relays. You could try a Uconnect reset with is different than the volume/tune reset.

Sponsored

OP
OP

acaiozzo

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Pay.

Did you disconnect/remove power to "both" batteries? If you disconnect only the main battery, the aux battery still is connected depending on the control relays. You could try a Uconnect reset with is different than the volume/tune reset.
Negative - I did not. How does one easily disconnect power to the aux battery? Is it as simple as pulling the fuse bank? Or is there another way without taking out the primary battery to access it?

And how does one do a Uconnect reset in a Wrangler that doesn't involve a volume / tune reset? Online I can only find the volume / tune process - as well as the option to use the upper right hand corner of the touchscreen - but that doesn't work for me either.

TIA!

OP
OP

acaiozzo

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Sad to hear your radio died, it does happen sometimes. Search the Marketplace for a replacement, maybe even an upgrade. Not sure which radio you currently have but all the various models show up for sale there. There are a few aftermarket replacements available to but I have no experience with them.
Gregj
Not quite there yet - as this is under warranty... but would like to figure out if it's a head unit issue or something else a bit more nefarious.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Negative - I did not. How does one easily disconnect power to the aux battery? Is it as simple as pulling the fuse bank? Or is there another way without taking out the primary battery to access it?

And how does one do a Uconnect reset in a Wrangler that doesn't involve a volume / tune reset? Online I can only find the volume / tune process - as well as the option to use the upper right hand corner of the touchscreen - but that doesn't work for me either.

TIA!
To disconnect both batteries, disconnect the negative battery cable from the main battery. Then disconnect the aux negative battery cable from the main battery negative cable. It is just an extra step. As for the Uconnect reset/restore, go into the "settings" menu and scroll down and one of the menus will have the option to reset/restore.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
To disconnect both batteries, disconnect the negative battery cable from the main battery. Then disconnect the aux negative battery cable from the main battery negative cable. It is just an extra step. As for the Uconnect reset/restore, go into the "settings" menu and scroll down and one of the menus will have the option to reset/restore.
I understand OP's radio is "dead" as in no response, screen is blank.
Gregj

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

but would like to figure out if it's a head unit issue or something else a bit more nefarious.
Unfortunately you are pretty much SOL at this point and the radio will need to be replaced. There is nothing else you can do or check at this point.

OP
OP

acaiozzo

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I've got a 2018 JLU with 30k mi - last night I pulled into my garage and shut off my Jeep normally. Started it an hour later - radio/display is 100% dead (including backup camera) and the USB port is as well - though the LED around the USB ports do flash periodically.

I've pulled F11 and 97 - together, separately and have also disconnected the battery - to no avail. I've checked the fuses - swapped them out for spares - no dice. Have also tried soft reset using the volume and tune dials/ buttons and have driven it a couple of times today hoping that it would magically come back to life - not so much. I've got a service appt set up for next Weds but would love to figure this out on my own first.

TIA!
Took it to the dealer - code said that the vehicle lost contact with the head unit. They're replacing that - as well as all of the harnesses that feed the USB ports under warranty (which I have exactly 30 days left on - so timing was perfect!!!)
Sponsored