Sponsored

2018 JL , LED headlights - aftermarket available?

YNWA

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler sport four door JL
Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket LED lights available yet for the JL wrangler, four door. The dealer wants 900 plus install for the headlights and 300 for the fog lights plus install. The fog lights are even available yet I have been told..
Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I think one of the forum sponsors Diode Dynamics is working on it. In a couple months I'm sure there will be a couple options.

Firecracker Rubi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I hope they think twice about making replacement bulbs for the halogen prisms. I want to run everyone one of those cars with HID and LED retrofits off the road. The prisms are not designed for these bulbs and all it does or blind on coming driver's. Do it right, or don't do it at all. There is a reason HIDs and LEDs all use projector lenses.

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I think one of the forum sponsors Diode Dynamics is working on it. In a couple months I'm sure there will be a couple options.
No one has yet confirmed whether these are a standard 7” round headlight or if it’s a Jeep specific design? It’d be disappointing if they’ve employed a Jeep specific design for the headlight.

On a side note, not sure if they’ve improved the light pattern or reflector optics with the standard JL headlights. If they haven’t throwing a brighter bulb in the stock housing won’t do too much except blind oncoming traffic because the headlights are throwing light everywhere but where it’s needed.

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
No one has yet confirmed whether these are a standard 7” round headlight or if it’s a Jeep specific design? It’d be disappointing if they’ve employed a Jeep specific design for the headlight.

On a side note, not sure if they’ve improved the light pattern or reflector optics with the standard JL headlights. If they haven’t throwing a brighter bulb in the stock housing won’t do too much except blind oncoming traffic because the headlights are throwing light everywhere but where it’s needed.
I talked on the phone with hid projectors. He said the way the headlights mount on is different and they are making a bracket that will allow the standard 7in lights. He also said the connection is different depending if you have LED or none LED lights.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I talked on the phone with hid projectors. He said the way the headlights mount on is different and they are making a bracket that will allow the standard 7in lights. He also said the connection is different depending if you have LED or none LED lights.
That’s definitely a knock against the aftermarket that they changed the buckets to something unique to this Jeep. I could see it as their way of trying to push people to their own either by choosing that option package or by upgrading through Mopar parts. While it should surprise me about the different wire harnesses it actually doesn’t as I’ve seen similar differences with other brands and models.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I hope they think twice about making replacement bulbs for the halogen prisms. I want to run everyone one of those cars with HID and LED retrofits off the road. The prisms are not designed for these bulbs and all it does or blind on coming driver's. Do it right, or don't do it at all. There is a reason HIDs and LEDs all use projector lenses.

Yep...

I was thinking about getting the LED “bulbs” for the standard housing, but didn’t want to be “that guy” on the road at night. I ended up getting a set of Philips +100’s. I had the +80’s on my JK and it made a HUGE difference, so I figured these new +100’s would be even better, especially since the JL halogens are actually good to begin with. TOTALLY shocked and impressed with how good they look. A MUCH more full and bright low beam, and high beams that look like the old KC Daylighter driving beams I had on my JK. So good in fact, that I’m thinking about omitting a set of off road driving beams and just adding a set of Rigid side shooter Hyperspots by themselves and calling it good.

The Philips +80 and +100’s (now called xtremevision I think) have filaments that are more tightly wound, smaller gauge, and slightly longer to reshape light output. Still the DOT legal wattage and lumen output. I did have to re-aim the lenses though (as I did with the JK) since the beam is more intense and projects out a bit further. A couple twists down is all it took, and now the low beam pattern is noticeably more intense with no hot/ dead spots, and projects down the road a bit further with a well defined cut off and no glare/ scatter.

Merica!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully JLU
Occupation
Future breaker of JL Wrangler parts!
Yep...

I was thinking about getting the LED “bulbs” for the standard housing, but didn’t want to be “that guy” on the road at night. I ended up getting a set of Philips +100’s. I had the +80’s on my JK and it made a HUGE difference, so I figured these new +100’s would be even better, especially since the JL halogens are actually good to begin with. TOTALLY shocked and impressed with how good they look. A MUCH more full and bright low beam, and high beams that look like the old KC Daylighter driving beams I had on my JK. So good in fact, that I’m thinking about omitting a set of off road driving beams and just adding a set of Rigid side shooter Hyperspots by themselves and calling it good.

The Philips +80 and +100’s (now called xtremevision I think) have filaments that are more tightly wound, smaller gauge, and slightly longer to reshape light output. Still the DOT legal wattage and lumen output. I did have to re-aim the lenses though (as I did with the JK) since the beam is more intense and projects out a bit further. A couple twists down is all it took, and now the low beam pattern is noticeably more intense with no hot/ dead spots, and projects down the road a bit further with a well defined cut off and no glare/ scatter.
Do you have any pics?

Sponsored

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Amen to that, it's not an "upgrade". It's a road hazard.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Amen to that, it's not an "upgrade". It's a road hazard.
Yes it is. The people doing this may be able to see great but they are blinding every driver in front of them and passing them in the opposite direction. Most don't even try to make any adjustment with at least aiming them in a better way as to NOT blind other drivers. They just slap them in and say "look how bright my lights are now!".

As Firecracker Rubi said "Do it right, or don't do it at all."

I mostly went with the Sahara because I wanted the LEDs. I did not need a Rubicon and the Sport S meets all my requirements except LEDs. When comparing the other things I am gaining by upgrading to a Sahara vs installing LEDs to a Sport down the road PROPERLY the price difference was very small compared with all the other upgrades you get with the Sahara.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Do you have any pics?

No before shots, and ISO settings on cameras don't do actual real life representations well with headlights unless you have a nice DSLR (I don't).

The low beams, after I re aimed them, have the same footprint, but it more white, full, and intense. No hot spots, and no dead spot between the fogs and low beams. High beams are much whiter, and much more intense with a few hot spots.

They are usually $60, but I got mine on sale on amazon for $25.

aqualung

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JKU
I guess the JK fogs fit the JL per Quadratec. Jk 7” headlights are going to need a bracket of sorts to fit the head lamp, saw that on a Qtec video.
So I have my KC gravity headlamps and fogs from my JK that are going on my JLU sport.
I wish my JK Tuffy rear deck and underwear security box fit.