2018 JL Clutch Recall

ssgorbs

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I have a 2018 Wrangler Sport JL with less than 20k miles on it. I got the clutch recall notice and brought it in right away (May 7, 2020). It only took a day, the dealership gave me a loaner and when I went to pick it up they said they didn't replace anything but added a "sleeve". In the following weeks I noticed the clutch felt like it was slipping (ever so slightly) and when I described this issue to someone at the dealership they said "if the check engine light isn't on it should be safe to drive". Oh and other problems that arose after I brought it in May 7 are 1). Cruise Control is not working correctly, I can set it to a speed but if I try to increase my speed using the button on the steering wheel cruise control completely disengages. 2). Auto Stop/Start does not work 3). The back up camera works when it feels like it. I was told I couldn't get a loaner car again (due to Covid) unless it was for one day only due to a recall. Fast forward to 3 days ago driving a windy mountain road 70 miles from home, the RPMs go all the way past 5 in 4th gear, I hear a clunk/rattle/bang and all of a sudden my clutch pedal no longer works. Somehow I was able to roll into a turn-out that ended up being big enough for the tow truck too. I had it towed 70miles back to the dealership that did the recall "repair" and it has taken them 3 days to tell me "it's bad, there is a hole in your transmission". I was under the impression this was one of the main reasons for the recall "the clutch pressure plate could become overheated from friction, which could cause the pressure plate to fracture, which in turn could crack or fracture the transmission case". They are currently "trying" to get me another vehicle because "this is going to take awhile". Up until today they were telling me I would have to cover the cost of the rental and that FCA would eventually reimburse me. I have an FCA case and case manager right now but they are also pretty dang hard to get a hold of. This car has already had a handful of other recalls and it only JUST turned 2 years old! And maybe this disclaimer isn't needed but I have only had manual cars for the past 16 years, and have never experienced anything like this.

Sorry about the essay, I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone else out there has experienced any of this OR if anyone has advice. I am leasing the vehicle (new to leasing) and wonder if any of this warrants a buy back.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Any dealer that says a slipping clutch isn't a problem doesn't know what the hell they're talking about, especially with the recall. Sorry man, that sucks. I also highly doubt a slipping clutch would cause the check engine light to come on.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have a 2018 Wrangler Sport JL with less than 20k miles on it. I got the clutch recall notice and brought it in right away (May 7, 2020). It only took a day, the dealership gave me a loaner and when I went to pick it up they said they didn't replace anything but added a "sleeve". In the following weeks I noticed the clutch felt like it was slipping (ever so slightly) and when I described this issue to someone at the dealership they said "if the check engine light isn't on it should be safe to drive". Oh and other problems that arose after I brought it in May 7 are 1). Cruise Control is not working correctly, I can set it to a speed but if I try to increase my speed using the button on the steering wheel cruise control completely disengages. 2). Auto Stop/Start does not work 3). The back up camera works when it feels like it. I was told I couldn't get a loaner car again (due to Covid) unless it was for one day only due to a recall. Fast forward to 3 days ago driving a windy mountain road 70 miles from home, the RPMs go all the way past 5 in 4th gear, I hear a clunk/rattle/bang and all of a sudden my clutch pedal no longer works. Somehow I was able to roll into a turn-out that ended up being big enough for the tow truck too. I had it towed 70miles back to the dealership that did the recall "repair" and it has taken them 3 days to tell me "it's bad, there is a hole in your transmission". I was under the impression this was one of the main reasons for the recall "the clutch pressure plate could become overheated from friction, which could cause the pressure plate to fracture, which in turn could crack or fracture the transmission case". They are currently "trying" to get me another vehicle because "this is going to take awhile". Up until today they were telling me I would have to cover the cost of the rental and that FCA would eventually reimburse me. I have an FCA case and case manager right now but they are also pretty dang hard to get a hold of. This car has already had a handful of other recalls and it only JUST turned 2 years old! And maybe this disclaimer isn't needed but I have only had manual cars for the past 16 years, and have never experienced anything like this.

Sorry about the essay, I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone else out there has experienced any of this OR if anyone has advice. I am leasing the vehicle (new to leasing) and wonder if any of this warrants a buy back.
If you would like us to look into your case for you, please feel free to send us a private message with your VIN.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer

JoeFromPA

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 M3
Whoever told you "If the Check engine light doesn't come on it should be fine to drive" knows nothing about cars. I'm sorry for your experience.

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Whoever told you "If the Check engine light doesn't come on it should be fine to drive" knows nothing about cars. I'm sorry for your experience.
Maybe they need a "check clutch" light! Wow, what were these people thinking?

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I just had the clutch recall fixed, that's what they did for me, installed a "sleeve". It never felt weird before and it feels the same now, so I can only guess whether that's a real fix or a cheap way out for FCA.
Sponsored