Sponsored

2018 JL 2dr sport coolant leak.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
I thought I had one of the "good ones" as I've had no issues until today. 8600 miles. I noticed I've had to add a little coolant a couple times. Not too much, a couple ounces here and there. Well today I was draining out the bonus quart of oil the dealer gave me and I found coolant residue under the engine. See pics. Looks like it's leaking out the front of the engine somewhere.

IMG_20190507_195712.jpg

IMG_20190507_200259.jpg
Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Found the leak. From under the hood it looks like it's leaking under the alternator where a tube is pressed in. See pics.

IMG_20190507_205522.jpg

IMG_20190507_205515.jpg
yup, mine is too and has only 12 miles where it's leaking as I call it the thermostat bypass the sad part is it's on back order .Personally I think it's a very poor design but what do I know . You might get lucky enough your Dealer has it in stock mine didn't I found 2 Dealership with it in stock but they wouldn't give it up do to being so scarce . Good Luck is all I can say !

Last edited:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
yup, mine is too and has only 12 miles where it's leaking as I call it the thermostat bypass the sad part is it's on back order .Personally I think it's a very poor design but what do I know . You might get lucky enough your Dealer has it in stock mine didn't I found 2 Dealership with it in stock but they wouldn't give it up do to being so scarce . Good Luck is all I can say !
They wouldn’t give it up? What, are they worried they won’t be able to fix another Jeep so they don’t fix yours instead? Dealers are so full of shit.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
They wouldn’t give it up? What, are they worried they won’t be able to fix another Jeep so they don’t fix yours instead? Dealers are so full of shit.
I don't have a clue but to purchase another FCA down the road I really would have to think hard on that one. I've had 26 new GM vehicles and one new Ford never had anything major where they were out service. This is a supplier issue not the UAW Assembly Workers they did a great job building my Rubi craftmanship is awesome and I personally thank them for a job well done !

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Jeep Informant did a video on the same leak:

OP
OP
SurprisedOutlet
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Update: Took my Jeep to the dealer yesterday. They ordered parts to fix the coolant leak and a steering damper. Parts should be in Thursday. I'll post after the repairs are done.

DURSO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Any update? Im dealing with a coolant leak now. Just wondering what the fix was and how it is going now.

StingGrayRhino

First Name
Eliez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
Also had this problem. The dealership ordered a new pump for me. If the problem is what the guy in the video said then its going to be a reoccuring problem. But yeah have white stuff all over the bottom of my car and crazy amount of red coolant from the pump

OP
OP
SurprisedOutlet
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Yes everything is fixed now. The parts took longer than expected. I took my Jeep in Monday and picked it up yesterday morning. The replaced the steering damper and the leaking parts. The dealer was great and didn't hassle me at all.
Sponsored