2018 JL 2.0 *BLOWN TURBO* update....Outraged!.....Lawyers

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I have a 2018 JL. Long story short, I went to drive one day and my steering wheel was totally locked up. I couldn’t turn it at all. It took a ton of force to break it free. After doing some research on here and in some of the Facebook groups, I found that I wasn’t the only one out there with this steering locking issue. It was intermittent. The dealer couldn’t get it to duplicate but Jeep Cares was aware of the issue. The fix was the 2021 steering box. So far no issues.
Too bad they can't honestly tell u what exactly was the cause of the lockup but at least now I think i have a better idea since u mentioned the steering gears
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Doesn’t matter if it’s common or not....that’s not the point! FCA is not performing as required by the Act. The problem is OP would need to hire a lawyer...which would be expensive with unknown outcomes. I would certainly research as nothing else is working....
Sea lawyers everywhere....

Katemc6

First Name
Katherine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Too bad they can't honestly tell u what exactly was the cause of the lockup but at least now I think i have a better idea since u mentioned the steering gears
I wish the dealer was able to duplicate it to know for sure what was going on. I was told the new steering box corrects “the vast majority” of cases. Here’s hoping no further issues. At the very least, the steering is way tighter now. No more dead spot or wander in the steering.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I wish the dealer was able to duplicate it to know for sure what was going on. I was told the new steering box corrects “the vast majority” of cases. Here’s hoping no further issues. At the very least, the steering is way tighter now. No more dead spot or wander in the steering.
Went under hood a few days ago on mine and the the box had play like a 300k mile car .. Ive never under stood this 'oh its a jeep thing"

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

Two guys were doing this when I was picking up my rig. It went on for about 15 minutes then two cops showed up and arrested them. Refusing to leave private property is trespassing.

Everyone clapped when the cops walked them out. I'd imagine their plan sounded good in their head but didn't go as planned.
Wow, so sounds like this dealership really stinks. Maybe just go to another at this point?

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, so sounds like this dealership really stinks. Maybe just go to another at this point?
No experience with the service dept but the sales experience was great.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Two guys were doing it when I was picking up my rig. It went on for about 15 minutes then two cops showed up and arrested them.
Good! Doing it in public and in front of the public out in the open was just dumb. What did they think was going to happen?

As for the OP, is trading in the vehicle in for another an option?

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This is so wrong on so many levels. A simple turbo replacement, really? Would love a diesel or 4xE, but I’m sticking with the mechanical simplicity of a stick shift. I hope and pray you’re up and running soon. Happy Thanksgiving.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
IN DIRE NEED OF HELP!!!

My 46k mile 2018 JL 2.0 Turbo Rubicon developed some strange noises after a road trip at the end of summer. I took it to the Jeep dealership where I originally ordered and purchased it. After some diagnosis they told me there was a crack in the cast iron turbine housing part of the turbo. The leak from the crack is eating away at part of the wiring harness as well. They said they’d order a new part for me so it can be fixed under my 100k mile powertrain warranty. Overall I can tell the folks at the dealership do want to help and fix the issue.

However the problem lies with Jeep and their willingness to supply the replacement parts. After 30+ conversations with their customer service department it’s apparent that Jeep is waiting for enough people to pile up with this problem so they can order a batch of turbos from the manufacturer. I’ve continued to make my monthly payments even without having the car. They’ve made zero promises, and have pretty much hung me out to dry with not even a loaner. Every phone call I’m receiving the run around from their agents and my Jeep which I’m still paying for is sitting at the back of a dealership taken apart in pieces waiting for a part that Jeep doesn’t want to produce. They decline my offer to bring them another used turbo to replace it saying my warranty will be void this way.

It’s a completely stuck dead-end situation. While the dealership has been helpful, I’m extremely frustrated with the company. They took it in on September 21st and It’s now November 24th.

No one knows anything and nobody wants to promise anything. Jeep themselves told me the next update on the part will be on December 23rd which is ridiculous if you ask me.

I’m reaching out on this forum in hopes of someone else out there with a similar issue or any advice on what to do at this point. Maybe there’s a person out there who is versed in the subject who can help.
Thank you for your interest!

6186D715-EBAA-4016-9878-B4F245E0143A.jpeg
Sounds to me like Jeep is just waiting for your warranty to run out??

• Haha
Reactions: GtX

Sponsored

JeepinInIdaho

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 3500, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I don't know if this has already been stated but this is a clear cut case for Lemon Law if your state has one, or Magnuson–Moss. Either way you'll have to deal being without a vehicle for the next couple of months but your issue will be addressed with a buy-back or replacement vehicle. It's a rather straight forward process but I suggest you reach out to an attorney for help.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Unless you reached out to any of those places and actually confirmed stock, then I wouldn’t guess they have them either. Pretty much all the Mopar parts sites will show the part on their site, but unless it’s something common that they normally stock, they have to order it just like the dealer where the Jeep currently is.
I called two of them today as both open, one has 19 units in stock, the other have 11 units in stock.

So parts availability is not the issue.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Jeep cares is a typo. It's Jeep scares.

Blackey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon JL
Mention and research the lemon law . I’m not sure if it applies but it might especially after three repairs For the same item. It might cover them not repairing it until it is convenient for them a good lawyer is past due.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi @aleko,

We are sincerely sorry to learn about the poor experience you've had the past couple of months. I have looked into your case number, and I see that there have been updates to your case within the last 24 hours. If you would like to discuss further, please send our team a private message.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Sponsored