Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel Mule Spied with DEF Tank

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
Yea that's definitely a turbo :) This whole time I thought it was NA. That explains the impressive torque.
Sponsored

Superwinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon, Yamaha Raptor 660
Fair point but does it really matter what is creating the gains in torque and mpg if all modern diesels have turbos built in? I can't speak from personal experience since I've never owned one but I trust its reliability more than a regular NA engine with turbos slapped on in the aftermarket. The gains I read about in the Grand Cherokee are impressive even for turbo. That and the fact it will come with a factory warranty is a big draw.

Sport11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Can't even get a 2017 ecodiesel yet and we're hoping for a diesel 2018 Wrangler? Fat chance of that IMO. My guess is whenever the diesel Wrangler is announced it'll be delayed coming to market due to certification. I remember the Grand Cherokee diesel launch was delayed for months because the EPA also took forever to certify it. And that was even before the whole VW scandal.

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
I wonder if there was ever any consideration by engineers of putting the VM 4-cyl or FPT diesel into the Wrangler instead of the VM V6?

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
sssssshhhhhhh! Dont bring up more 4 cyl. :p Need more power!

Sponsored

Milous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
I wonder if there was ever any consideration by engineers of putting the VM 4-cyl or FPT diesel into the Wrangler instead of the VM V6?
The VM6 was planned early on, it's the only one I ever saw listed.

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Doubt it. The VM V6 makes so much more sense than those others. The Wrangler is a heavy car so it can use all the power possible. Also, dealers already have the training, tools, and replacement parts for that engine.

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Doubt it. The VM V6 makes so much more sense than those others. The Wrangler is a heavy car so it can use all the power possible. Also, dealers already have the training, tools, and replacement parts for that engine.
Besides being down on power to the VM V6 diesel, the four-cylinder VM or FPT diesel also weren't ideal because of extra expense of certifying for US emissions.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Superwinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon, Yamaha Raptor 660
Uh oh. I hope this turns out to be nothing but the EPA is about to accuse Fiat Chrysler of using software that allowed excess diesel emissions, including in the Ram 1500 and Grand Cherokee (which has the V6 ecodiesel that's supposed to go into the JL) :(

Hope it doesn't delay the diesel Wrangler somehow!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...r-of-using-diesel-emission-cheating-software/
The VM6 was planned early on, it's the only one I ever saw listed.
Terrible timing. I'm guessing this is going to have a huge effect on the engine getting certified if not canceled outright? Ugh. I was just watching the video of Sergio talking up all the benefits of diesel too.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Terrible timing. I'm guessing this is going to have a huge effect on the engine getting certified if not canceled outright? Ugh. I was just watching the video of Sergio talking up all the benefits of diesel too.
If I were Sergio, I would launch with a 4Cyl diesel option, capable of passing any test with no defeat device needed, and with truly great fuel economy.

This market is there far more than they think for a very fuel efficient diesel, with the trade off being less snappy acceleration, but most are fine with that. It's an off road truck, for Christ's sake.

OHldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Ford Bronco, 2013 Ford Flex, Former JK owner
If I were Sergio, I would launch with a 4Cyl diesel option, capable of passing any test with no defeat device needed, and with truly great fuel economy.

This market is there far more than they think for a very fuel efficient diesel, with the trade off being less snappy acceleration, but most are fine with that. It's an off road truck, for Christ's sake.
100%. It'll have good low end torque and good MPG which is what most wanting the diesel are after. These companies need to stop shooting themselves in the foot with diesel scandals. Just build it right and get it in the hands of buyers, the rest will take care of itself.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
100%. It'll have good low end torque and good MPG which is what most wanting the diesel are after. These companies need to stop shooting themselves in the foot with diesel scandals. Just build it right and get it in the hands of buyers, the rest will take care of itself.
What the boys at Fiat are probably overly concerned about is the ingrained image of the US market endlessly demanding bigger engines with more power (at the behest of better fuel economy). I assume whether admitted or not the older heads in positions of consequence, do not have great fuel economy on the radar as much as it truly is in the demand of the market of PROSPECTIVE FIRST TIME WRANGLER BUYERS

Times change Sergio. Do the right thing son !!!

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Disagree. The global performance automobile market still begs for more power. The pentastar is quite frankly under powered for the JKU, and the main reason I bought the 2008 WK CRD last year. A JL Ecodiesel fills my needs, so I can haul crap and overland with enough power to pull, but still get the MPGs of a crappy Subaru. If my desire for power outweighed MPGs, I'd have a Raptor without question.
Sponsored