Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel Mule Spied with DEF Tank

Flite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKR, Porsche 911 Turbo, F-350, Mazda Miata RF
I'm curious why all the demand for the diesel other than the "cool" factor. I'm waiting for the JL to buy my first Jeep, I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that it will NOT be a diesel.
Sponsored

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
I'm curious why all the demand for the diesel other than the "cool" factor. I'm waiting for the JL to buy my first Jeep, I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that it will NOT be a diesel.
Diesels usually deliver excellent torque. And considering what a lot of owners use the Wrangler for, torque is even more useful than a lot of HP.

I wonder though if this whole VW diesel scandal backlash will dampen diesel Wrangler sales.

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
Diesels usually deliver excellent torque. And considering what a lot of owners use the Wrangler for, torque is even more useful than a lot of HP.

I wonder though if this whole VW diesel scandal backlash will dampen diesel Wrangler sales.
I dont think so. There's been a ton of built up demand for a diesel Wrangler for years now. It's the type of car where diesel just makes sense -- it fits the image and also delivers the performance.

Last edited:

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
The JL/JT Wranglers will get what's called a "next gen diesel" according to the Wrangler product map. That might take back the advantage compared to the turbo engines.

Flite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

In my experience, most Wrangler owners use them to drive back and forth to work.
But I understand the designed purpose of the vehicle. It's an off-road vehicle. Even so, what advantages does the diesel offer?

Sponsored

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
But I understand the designed purpose of the vehicle. It's an off-road vehicle. Even so, what advantages does the diesel offer?
Definitely better torque. The EcoDiesel in the Grand Cherokee outputs 420 lb-ft compared to the Pentastar's 260 lb-ft.

It also gets a few MPG better. 30 HWY MPG for the diesel vs 26 HWY MPG for the Pentastar in the Grand Cherokee

Flite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely better torque. The EcoDiesel in the Grand Cherokee outputs 420 lb-ft compared to the Pentastar's 260 lb-ft.

It also gets a few MPG better. 30 HWY MPG for the diesel vs 26 HWY MPG for the Pentastar in the Grand Cherokee
There gets to be a point of diminishing returns though. I'll give it the torque advantage, but what is the point in a Wrangler? The number is there, but the real world result is a slower vehicle.
The chassis isn't meant to tow much, so regardless of the torque, it's still never going to be a good tow rig. Although maybe they'll make some chassis changes to the JK that allow it to tow more, specifically in the truck.
And finally, even with a moderate increase in MPGs, that's more than offset by the fact that diesel is more expensive than gas, it will require DEF, it will require fuel filter changes regularly, and oil change costs increase substantially.

If we were talking a simple diesel like the old Toyota Hilux, I'd be all in. But a modern diesel is a much more difficult decision. Unless you NEED one, I can't see the point in owning one. And the Wrangler just isn't a vehicle that will ever need one as far as I can tell.

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
In my experience, most Wrangler owners use them to drive back and forth to work.
I think some of it has to do with image and perception. Diesel just fits the rugged SUV / truck image. Plus we've never had a diesel Wrangler before so there's the new and unique aspect to it.

Flite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think some of it has to do with image and perception. Diesel just fits the rugged SUV / truck image. Plus we've never had a diesel Wrangler before so there's the new and unique aspect to it.
I agree 100%. It's "cool", and based just on the cool factor, I'd want one too. I just wonder how many people will buy the diesel option and then sometime down the road wish they hadn't.

Rockcrawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and Bikes
There gets to be a point of diminishing returns though. I'll give it the torque advantage, but what is the point in a Wrangler? The number is there, but the real world result is a slower vehicle.
The chassis isn't meant to tow much, so regardless of the torque, it's still never going to be a good tow rig. Although maybe they'll make some chassis changes to the JK that allow it to tow more, specifically in the truck.
And finally, even with a moderate increase in MPGs, that's more than offset by the fact that diesel is more expensive than gas, it will require DEF, it will require fuel filter changes regularly, and oil change costs increase substantially.

If we were talking a simple diesel like the old Toyota Hilux, I'd be all in. But a modern diesel is a much more difficult decision. Unless you NEED one, I can't see the point in owning one. And the Wrangler just isn't a vehicle that will ever need one as far as I can tell.
It's never about "need" tho is it? If they offer it as a choice there will be many who choose it and it has definite advantages on trails. The question is what your intended use is and it varies a lot among owners.

If you are hitting trails, the diesel has massive low end torque advantage perfect for crawling. It also has better longevity although repairs are far more complicated and costly. If you are primarily on the road (and probably 90% are) the gas engine makes more sense. Don't underestimate the MPG increase with diesel either. My friend picked up a '14 diesel grand cherokee and loves it, getting 21 city and 28 highway.

Sponsored

Flite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's never about "need" tho is it? If they offer it as a choice there will be many who choose it and it has definite advantages on trails. The question is what your intended use is and it varies a lot among owners.

If you are hitting trails, the diesel has massive low end torque advantage perfect for crawling. It also has better longevity although repairs are far more complicated and costly. If you are primarily on the road (and probably 90% are) the gas engine makes more sense. Don't underestimate the MPG increase with diesel either. My friend picked up a '14 diesel grand cherokee and loves it, getting 21 city and 28 highway.
I guess that's kind of where I'm coming from... there is no "need" for one for most people.
I just read people's and talk to people that are interested in a diesel Wrangler and most justify it somehow as the practical option. I personally think a lot of those people will be disappointed.

Now, if the honest answer is because someone thinks the diesel option is "cool", and that's their only real justification, I get that. And to be honest, "cool" is the only reason most people buy Wranglers. I know that's the only reason I'm looking to buy one.

I love diesels, I just wish we wouldn't have ruined them with federal regulations.

Superwinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon, Yamaha Raptor 660
I think diesel + 6speed manual would be an ideal combination and welcome it because truthfully it would give jeep a chance to be considered for military use again plus give the wrangler a better fuel economy. When a full size diesel 1 ton truck gets better fuel mileage than a wrangler there’s something wrong.

doh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 wrangler
Isn't it the use of forced induction often with diesels that are giving it the impressive torque and power delivery numbers? serious question.

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
Isn't it the use of forced induction often with diesels that are giving it the impressive torque and power delivery numbers? serious question.
Not necessarily. Good ole naturally aspirated diesels output tons of torque too. Like @RobNY said FCA's own V6 ecodiesel manages 420 lb-ft torque without use of turbocharging.

sportcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars? A Jeep isn't a "car"
Not necessarily. Good ole naturally aspirated diesels output tons of torque too. Like @RobNY said FCA's own V6 ecodiesel manages 420 lb-ft torque without use of turbocharging.
There is definitely a turbo in modern diesels. The 3.0L Ecodiesel is no exception. See picture, that is a turbo in the back of the engine.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel Mule Spied with DEF Tank {filename}
Sponsored