Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel Mule Spied with DEF Tank

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Disagree. The global performance automobile market still begs for more power. The pentastar is quite frankly under powered for the JKU, and the main reason I bought the 2008 WK CRD last year. A JL Ecodiesel fills my needs, so I can haul crap and overland with enough power to pull, but still get the MPGs of a crappy Subaru. If my desire for power outweighed MPGs, I'd have a Raptor without question.
Could not agree more ..... my #1 complaint about my JKU is its waaaaaaaay under powered. It also the reason I have not looked at 4Runners as well. Right now if the JT doesn't fit my needs I will end up with most likely a 2500 Ram or Raptor instead.

As for the 4cyl diesel ..... I highly doubt it would be brought over as they would have to certify it here which costs big $ ..... the V6 VM Diesel is already done and used in (2) other vehicles and I would be willing to bet FCA can make a deal with the Trump Admin to resolve any issues.
Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Could not agree more ..... my #1 complaint about my JKU is its waaaaaaaay under powered. It also the reason I have not looked at 4Runners as well. Right now if the JT doesn't fit my needs I will end up with most likely a 2500 Ram or Raptor instead.

As for the 4cyl diesel ..... I highly doubt it would be brought over as they would have to certify it here which costs big $ ..... the V6 VM Diesel is already done and used in (2) other vehicles and I would be willing to bet FCA can make a deal with the Trump Admin to resolve any issues.
Approx what does the full certification process cost ?

Frank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jk
Vehicle Showcase
Speriamo di vedere presto il motore 2l turbo in azione.

Frank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jk
Vehicle Showcase
Posseggo la jk 2.8crd diesel e vorrei passare alla jl 2.0l turbo benzina da 300cv sperando in un motore più silenzioso e potente.Cosa ne pensate?????

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
I can't see FCA bringing one of their euro 4 cyl diesels into the US either. Like you say it probably costs too much $ to get compliance and certification, but on top of that FCA has been accused of cheating on those engines also! http://www.autonews.com/article/201...a-accused-by-germany-of-using-emissions-cheat.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Posseggo la jk 2.8crd diesel e vorrei passare alla jl 2.0l turbo benzina da 300cv sperando in un motore più silenzioso e potente.Cosa ne pensate?????
Translated;
I own the jk diesel 2.8crd and I would go to the jl 2.0l turbo petrol 300 hp hoping for a quieter engine and potente.Cosa you think ?????

Rockcrawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and Bikes
The VM6 was planned early on, it's the only one I ever saw listed.
@Milous I read somewhere that the JL is getting 2 diesel engines being the 3.0L VM6 and a 2.2L diesel but that the 2.2 may be for the Euro region. Would you happen to know?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Any idea as to the price they might ask for the diesel? How's the reliability of the 3.0 Ecodiesel?

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
@Milous I read somewhere that the JL is getting 2 diesel engines being the 3.0L VM6 and a 2.2L diesel but that the 2.2 may be for the Euro region. Would you happen to know?
I hope the American market gets the option to choose the 2.2 EcoDiesel, for maybe $1500 extra. I bet the mileage would be insane.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm on the fence with the diesel. First, if the JL is indeed lighter, if unchanged, the 3.6 will have a better power to weight ratio than it does now. Second, I want a manual transmission. I hope the diesel doesn't require an auto. That probably means at least 4 grand more for a diesel/auto than a 3.6/manual, but I'm betting 5 grand is more realistic. You'd have to save a lot of fuel over the years to make up for that, not even counting the price of the DEF. Having to wait a couple extra years bugs me, too. It is going to be hard enough waiting for year two for a JL. I don't think I'd want to wait until year 3. (I avoid first year vehicles, particularly with Fiat/Chrysler. They even muffed year 1 with a proven engine, the 3.6, in the 2012 JK.)

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
I'm on the fence with the diesel. First, if the JL is indeed lighter, if unchanged, the 3.6 will have a better power to weight ratio than it does now. Second, I want a manual transmission. I hope the diesel doesn't require an auto. That probably means at least 4 grand more for a diesel/auto than a 3.6/manual, but I'm betting 5 grand is more realistic. You'd have to save a lot of fuel over the years to make up for that, not even counting the price of the DEF. Having to wait a couple extra years bugs me, too. It is going to be hard enough waiting for year two for a JL. I don't think I'd want to wait until year 3. (I avoid first year vehicles, particularly with Fiat/Chrysler. They even muffed year 1 with a proven engine, the 3.6, in the 2012 JK.)
I hope that the ecodiesel Grand Cherokee being offered with only automatic transmission isn't a sign of things to come with the JL/JT diesel model. Would be nice to see a diesel JL or JT prototype spied with a manual transmission one of these days.

$4-5k over the 3.6L model wouldn't surprise me at all. But for most guys I don't think they'll justify that extra cost on how much fuel you'll save (though that'll help the decision) but it'll be justified by all that extra torque you get!

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yea the fuel economy is nice, but the TQ, increased range, and towing capacity is all of what makes it a better package IMO.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Yea the fuel economy is nice, but the TQ, increased range, and towing capacity is all of what makes it a better package IMO.
Abso-friggin-lutely!

Those three things, plus passing power over mountain passes.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I'm on the fence with the diesel. First... Second, I want a manual transmission. I hope the diesel doesn't require an auto.
Ecodiesel is unlikely to get a manual transmission without seriously crippling it for two reasons;
A) Torque output is way above the ratings for current 6-speed 200+ NM too much) and all other 6-speed option in its area (70NM beyond the specs for the Mustang/Camaro/Cadillac NV in Camaro guise [which maxes at 500NM but at the cost of tighter gear spread and lower first gear ratio])
B) Fuel efficiency (and maybe towing) will be the mainfocus of the diesel, despite enthusiasts other reasons; and the 8-speed auto with its large spread with multiple taller overdrive gears (escpecially vs an NV6) has better efficiency and is more predictably efficient in real world, also that 8-speed also improves towing numbers as well both for handling and efficincy under load.

That probably means at least 4 grand more for a diesel/auto than a 3.6/manual, but I'm betting 5 grand is more realistic. You'd have to save a lot of fuel over the years to make up for that, not even counting the price of the DEF.
Don't forget more oil for oil changes (11Qts vs 6Qts), fuel filters, etc. And bigger battery if you own it long enough to need to replace that too. It all adds up, and usually nowadays the cost saving of operation are usually close to a wash even before calculating initial price premium, unless the vehicle is in heavy use (50K+ mileage a year). If this were for commercial application sure, but for people usually putting on 10-20K miles per year, not gonna make much of a difference economically, and definitely not enough to make up a GC level premium, let alone a $5K price hit.

The benefits of the torque are obvious, though the Pentastar isn't as weak as some portray it. Personally diesel is a non-started due to severe cold, but that new 5.7L crate Hemi with almost as much torque and twice the HP would suit me fine... although that's not likely in OEM garb even with possible striping of every regulation on the books, more likely to see that future looking rumoured forced-air Pentasstar instead. Hemi weighs about as much as th Ecodiesel though (SC/turbo Penta lighter), so would be nice to see them make use of the support required to get the 3.0L to work applied to a gas application.
Sponsored