Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and Sahara (JLU) Roof Exposed!

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
"What would be nice is if the new factory Rubicon wheel had the specs of the AEV wheels, so that 35s were a "plug-n-play" affair as far as the wheels go."

Looking at the spy pics, you might just get your wish.
Sponsored

JCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
With the current factory tire sizes I don't really see them moving to a wider wheel. It'd be nice though. But even if they did, there's still the backspacing issue with wider tires, ie: 35x12.5s, which necessitates either wheel spacers, or new wheels with less backspacing (at which point you make the move to a wider wheel).

Edit: What would be nice is if the new factory Rubicon wheel had the specs of the AEV wheels, so that 35s were a "plug-n-play" affair as far as the wheels go.
Good point on the backspacing. AEV-spec'd wheels would be perfect.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yea the 7" width on current stock wheels is a annoying for larger 12.5" tires .... I mean the still work, but I would rather see a 8-9" width stock
The current wheels are 7.5" wide, which is plenty for the 255 series tires they are currently running. In fact, 7.5" works great up to a 285 width but my guess is that the Rubicon will be the only model that gets that size so they will have special wheels for the Rubicon models that are a little wider..

JBlackoutK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
Same old long metal antenna :( Was hoping to get a stubby flexible rubber antenna that is more durable for the trail and doesn't hit everything from the garage door to trees.

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Same old long metal antenna :( Was hoping to get a stubby flexible rubber antenna that is more durable for the trail and doesn't hit everything from the garage door to trees.
I like the long metal antenna. If the Glock jams my backup plan is to rip it off and beat my attacker to death with it:confused:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Umm, stubby rubber antennas are direct replacement and all of $20. If you want one, do it.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The long steel antennas work better and are far more durable. That's why they are still in use.

Short stubby antennas are prone to failure at the plastic base where they screw on, and they also perform poorly for pulling in FM radio stations.

Having the antenna molded into the windshield glass would be a far better option if people don't really care about FM reception. Personally, I'll take my steel mast antenna anyday.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
I switched to a stubby antenna a few months after getting mine and couldn't pick up half the radio stations without static so I went back to the metal one. Yea it's not the best looking thing but it is durable and does its job.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
I switched to a stubby antenna a few months after getting mine and couldn't pick up half the radio stations without static so I went back to the metal one. Yea it's not the best looking thing but it is durable and does its job.
Same experience here. Swapped on a stubby, couldn't get clear reception on many of the stations I listed to, so I swapped back to the factory antenna.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Might have to wait for aftermarket top options. This one, based on the pic, is definitely the same as the old. Don't get the doors off/top on thing though.
Thus far, that would seem to be the case with the Freedom hard top, although we expect that an update to the roof design, materials and release mechanism will make it easier to take on & off, and ultimately store.

As just posted in the JL info thread, here are the terms we have been able to verify for the JL/JLU top.
  • "Single top package"
  • "Dual top group"
  • "3-piece hard top:
  • "Soft top"
  • "Freedom panel storage bag"
We've also spoken to some supplier/vendor sources that indicate the Bestop Trektop NX Glide will have major JL implications.

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Thanks for the info Admin. I assume they will include the Mopar t-top panel storage bag for the front 2 panels. I was hoping the hard top would have more removable parts in the rear to make it lighter for one person to remove.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
We've also spoken to some supplier/vendor sources that indicate the Bestop Trektop NX Glide will have major JL implications.
Yeah, that was the early talk too, it's a great choice for shape as it's taper design would reduce drag greatly and improve the MPG numbers.
Hopefully it would also improve self-cleaning of the rear window, as well as reduce the tendency of the flat back to suck road grim onto the window.

It's understandable why it's not carried over in the hard-top but it both looks good and has advantages in the soft-top, of course you lose some storage space in the process.

However, none of the test mules look like this sofar, so still not as confident of the implications.

Still prefer the Trektop Pro with the glass panel, sliding windows, and rear wiper.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, man! The removable panel & back glass feature is what I want on my JLUR hardtop! That is SWEET!

Swartz2017

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Durango, 2016 Cherokee 75th
I have not given up on the removable panel and removable glass per allpar patent reveals.

Just show us already!! Not like I don't bother my dealer repeatedly enough (they've now resorted to sending the newest salesman out to see me- resulting in 15 min of me educating him more than FCA reps do!)
Sponsored