Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and Sahara (JLU) Roof Exposed!

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
LOVE the new Rubicon wheel design! Much better and tougher looking than current wheels and beats the looks of most aftermarket wheels even. I don't know if I'll be picking up a Rubicon but getting these wheels for sure.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and Sahara (JLU) Roof Exposed! {filename}

versus

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and Sahara (JLU) Roof Exposed! {filename}

No contest!
Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
BINGO! ^ THIS ^

Lots of rumors were pegging the top of the hard top to have 4 panels - 2 freedom top panels over the front seats then the roof over the rear seats and cargo area split into two separate parts. It could still happen, but we've yet to see anything resembling that in the spy photos.

The full length rain gutter could point towards the rear part of the hard top being three pieces though - two removable sides and then the 'full length' top. This could be what's been meant by the hardtop being a "3-piece" design. (which would technically be 5 pieces if you included the two freedom panels). If nothing else, it would make light duty roof racks a LOT easier since you could use gutter mounts all around.
If they don't offer the 3-sunroof storable-in-trunk-area removable roof like on the clay model, I will not buy a JLU.

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
Tail lights don't look like the ones from the dealer event leaked images at all. So either the images from that event aren't accurate to the production lights or the lights on this prototype are not final.

Yea I think those dealer presentation images have pretty much been proven to be just representative images based on the JK. That looks like a current JK Rubicon spare on the back of that dealer image. The new Rubicon prototype in this thread already showed us the wheel design will be all new and I’d be surprised if any JL/JLU shares any wheel design with the JK/JKU.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Also, is anyone hoping this isn't the final bumper design ? I thought it was going to be a euro style bumper which extended up flush with the fenders?

Sponsored

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
Also, is anyone hoping this isn't the final bumper design ? I thought it was going to be a euro style bumper which extended up flush with the fenders?

Maybe the fenders won't be extended to meet the front bumper after all?

These fenders feature the new LED DRL strips so I'd think they’re likely the production fenders?

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
I'm glad it doesn't extend up to be flush with the fenders. It'll cause all kinds of clearance and design/alignment issues with aftermarket fenders and just wouldn't look right in my opinion. These look to be about the same as the JK. I just hope for a nicer finish that doesn't get all gray and ashy looking so easily.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
These look to be about the same as the JK. I just hope for a nicer finish that doesn't get all gray and ashy looking so easily.
I hope these are the JK bumpers and the JL prove totally different. I also hope Jeep® Offers monochrome paint option whic includes body-matched fenders, bumpers, side steps, and top. That alone eliminates nasty ashy cheap charcoal plastic finish.

I'm glad it doesn't extend up to be flush with the fenders. It'll cause all kinds of clearance and design/alignment issues with aftermarket fenders and just wouldn't look right in my opinion.
Surely you must agree that Jeep® would be foolish not to have Euro Bumper as an option on all JL/JLU models, for all the people who don't want aftermarket fenders ? (Which is probably 75%+ of market)

MotorCityJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2015 200S AWD
I hope these are the JK bumpers and the JL prove totally different. I also hope Jeep® Offers monochrome paint option whic includes body-matched fenders, bumpers, side steps, and top. That alone eliminates nasty ashy cheap charcoal plastic finish.

Surely you must agree that Jeep® would be foolish not to have Euro Bumper as an option on all JL/JLU models, for all the people who don't want aftermarket fenders ? (Which is probably 75%+ of market)
It would be foolish for them to use it here. It's a more expensive bumper to manufacture. Why use it here if it's not required? Most decisions come down to dollars and cents. I would gather most people DON'T like that version. If you want a fully integrated hard top and front fascia, you should probably buy a Grand Cherokee.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
It would be foolish for them to use it here. It's a more expensive bumper to manufacture. Why use it here if it's not required? Most decisions come down to dollars and cents. I would gather most people DON'T like that version. If you want a fully integrated hard top and front fascia, you should probably buy a Grand Cherokee.
I want the ability to have full open air roof, with all the panels loaded in the cargo area, so if it rains I can throw them right back on.

I also want to take my doors off. So Wrangler it will be. I guess I will just wait and see what the other roof options will be, and delay purchase until I can get Diesel engine, three equal panel roof stowable in rear cargo, and doors that are quicker/easier to remove than the JK/JKU

Sponsored

MotorCityJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2015 200S AWD
Might have to wait for aftermarket top options. This one, based on the pic, is definitely the same as the old. Don't get the doors off/top on thing though. If you're leaving doors at home why not the top? Or go soft top for all but winter (our's is a dual top)? Last one we ordered premium soft top only and she missed the glass rear window and wiper in the winter.

I don't see how you could get the doors removed any quicker either. It's one electrical connector. I removed the hinge nuts 5 minutes after getting our's home and they don't go back on unless we turn it in (this is our 4th JKU, third JKUR). It takes me maybe 15 minutes solo if my wife decides she wants the Jeep naked to have the top down and doors hanging in the garage, and we mount Harley Davidson mirrors to the hinges.

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
LOVE the new Rubicon wheel design! Much better and tougher looking than current wheels and beats the looks of most aftermarket wheels even. I don't know if I'll be picking up a Rubicon but getting these wheels for sure.

versus

No contest!

Agree. No offense to any rubi owners with stock wheels but they’ve always reminded me of teddy bear wheels :D

The new incoming Rubicon wheels are much better.

JCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Do we know if any of the stock wheels will be 8" wide? That has always seemed like the ideal width to me, at least aesthetically.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Do we know if any of the stock wheels will be 8" wide? That has always seemed like the ideal width to me, at least aesthetically.
Yea the 7" width on current stock wheels is a annoying for larger 12.5" tires .... I mean the still work, but I would rather see a 8-9" width stock

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
With the current factory tire sizes I don't really see them moving to a wider wheel. It'd be nice though. But even if they did, there's still the backspacing issue with wider tires, ie: 35x12.5s, which necessitates either wheel spacers, or new wheels with less backspacing (at which point you make the move to a wider wheel).

Edit: What would be nice is if the new factory Rubicon wheel had the specs of the AEV wheels, so that 35s were a "plug-n-play" affair as far as the wheels go.
Sponsored

Reactions: JCC