Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and Sahara (JLU) Roof Exposed!

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The 2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited has just been spied again and this time our photographers snagged the first photos of the new hard top design!

The overhead view shows a 3-piece hard top with 2 small panels in the front passenger area and a larger rear top panel that starts from the end of the front doors. It's unclear whether the rear top panel stretches all the way to the tailgate since the latter edge of the roof and rear of the vehicle is covered by heavy camouflage.

The panels look smaller compared to that of the JKU's Freedom Top, with the biggest difference being that the edge of the JLU's new roof panels appear to end abruptly about 6-8 inches from the door. If what we are seeing is not an optical illusion created by the camouflage, this would mean there is a a substantial solid frame flanking the front and rear panels. This frame appears to connect from the A and B pillars, up to the drip rails and extend to the top of the roof where the outgoing sport bar currently resides.

The front panels have two ridge lines each instead of the three on the current Freedom Top, necessitated by their smaller size. The cut lines between the front and rear panels are also slightly straighter and this, combined with what appears to be much smaller/lighter panels, should make it easier to stack the new JL roof panels on top of each other for storage.

This 3-piece hardtop is only one of the roof options we expect for the new Wrangler, which should also include a power soft top and optional hard top glass panel.

Wrangler.roof.g1.KGP.ed.jpg
Wrangler.roof.g1b.KGP.ed.jpg
Wrangler.roof.g2.KGP.ed.jpg
Wrangler.roof.g2b.KGP.ed.jpg
Wrangler.roof.g3.KGP.ed.jpg
Wrangler.tm01.KGP.ed.jpg
Wrangler.tm02.KGP.ed.jpg
Wrangler.tm03.KGP.ed.jpg
Wrangler.tm04.KGP.ed.jpg
Wrangler.tm05.KGP.ed.jpg
Wrangler.tm06.KGP.ed.jpg
Wrangler.tm07.KGP.ed.jpg
Wrangler.tm08.KGP.ed.jpg
Wrangler.tm09.KGP.ed.jpg
Wrangler.tm10.KGP.ed.jpg
Wrangler.tm11.KGP.ed.jpg
Wrangler.tm12.KGP.ed.jpg
Wrangler.tm13.KGP.ed.jpg
Wrangler.tm14.KGP.ed.jpg

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Roof-Exposed-1.JPG
2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Roof-Exposed-2.JPG
2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Roof-Exposed-3.JPG
2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Roof-Exposed-4.JPG
2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Roof-Exposed-5.JPG
2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Roof-Exposed-6.JPG
2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Roof-Exposed-7.png
2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Roof-Exposed-8.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

dylansalrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 jeep tj
ill tell you what that looks like. Fiat succumbing to federal regulations that ruin the jeep legacy... those are removable panels up top and show the end of the hardtop/softtop we all love. No more open jeep. no more money from me. What a joke. Now it really is a crappy SUV...

Brandonjjon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE (Granite)
ill tell you what that looks like. Fiat succumbing to federal regulations that ruin the jeep legacy... those are removable panels up top and show the end of the hardtop/softtop we all love. No more open jeep. no more money from me. What a joke. Now it really is a crappy SUV...
Man I sure hope not. I really hope that at least the side windows in the back are removable somehow. I may be headed to the dealership sooner than I was planning.

Alvin R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Strange how the back panel is one with the C pillar.. and why is the C pillar so prominent? We need answers.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Looks exactly like the JK hardtop. Wow Dylanslarin, you haven't even seen the whole thing and you're mad. Must be a ZJ owner.

Sponsored

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
I'm sure that the freedom panels extend all the way to over the door, just like on the current JK. If you look at the photos in the other thread:

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...rab-handles-signs-of-foldable-windshield.673/

A few of them clearly show the 'cut' line in the top just above the B-pillar.

In the above photos, the camo starts on the 3rd roof rib on each side.

The freedom top panel design is also clearly visible in the overhead spy photos of the JL test mule.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Strange how the back panel is one with the C pillar.. and why is the C pillar so prominent? We need answers.
I noticed that too, but I think they just wrapped the camo over the hard top AND onto the body below making it appear as a seamless body panel. If you look at the spy shots in other threads the 'belt line' between the rear hard top and body tub is clearly visible.

MattP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1985 CJ-7, 1949 Jeep Truck, 1948 CJ-2a
I have been following this forum for a while and reading studying all the info/rumors about the upcoming JL that I can find. From what I have seen and read I have to disagree with the prediction that the JL will have a new "fixed top" configuration with removable panels in place of the traditional hard top/soft top set up Jeep has used on previous CJ and Wranglers.

I believe that the latest spy shots indicate that it will continue to have a top design very similar to the current set up. In the photo below you can see the seam between the front freedom top panels and the rear top section and where the rear top section meets the body above the rear wheels, just like the currant set up.

Of course I may be wrong but this is what I think based on what I have seen...

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and Sahara (JLU) Roof Exposed! {filename}

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BINGO! ^ THIS ^

Lots of rumors were pegging the top of the hard top to have 4 panels - 2 freedom top panels over the front seats then the roof over the rear seats and cargo area split into two separate parts. It could still happen, but we've yet to see anything resembling that in the spy photos.

The full length rain gutter could point towards the rear part of the hard top being three pieces though - two removable sides and then the 'full length' top. This could be what's been meant by the hardtop being a "3-piece" design. (which would technically be 5 pieces if you included the two freedom panels). If nothing else, it would make light duty roof racks a LOT easier since you could use gutter mounts all around.

MattP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1985 CJ-7, 1949 Jeep Truck, 1948 CJ-2a
BINGO! ^ THIS ^

Lots of rumors were pegging the top of the hard top to have 4 panels - 2 freedom top panels over the front seats then the roof over the rear seats and cargo area split into two separate parts. It could still happen, but we've yet to see anything resembling that in the spy photos.

The full length rain gutter could point towards the rear part of the hard top being three pieces though - two removable sides and then the 'full length' top. This could be what's been meant by the hardtop being a "3-piece" design. (which would technically be 5 pieces if you included the two freedom panels).
My guess is that they extended the rain gutter to allow the use of rain gutter mounted roof rail towers, like the ones from Thule or Yakima, on the full length of the top. They might even be planing a rain gutter mounted roof rack system from Mopar.

Sponsored

Deacon Blues

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Man I sure hope not. I really hope that at least the side windows in the back are removable somehow. I may be headed to the dealership sooner than I was planning.
The lease on my 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara is up next April. The more "Spy shots" that I see, the more convinced I am to lease a last minute 2017 JK. Not really liking what I am seeing. I especially don't like the ESS that is mandated with the "optional" V6. I kind of like my Jeep the way it is. I may just upgrade to a Recon and be done with it. I'm getting really tired of fun killing political correctness.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
It's way too early to get all "emotional" about what it may, or may not have. The JL will be produced alongside the JK, plus the actual Debut will be fairly soon. Then you can choose, based on Fact.
I'm waiting to see for myself, many good possibilities here.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
To me it looks like they just wrapped the camo over the seam, making it impossible to see where the panel ends and the fixed roof line begins. I seriously doubt that camo line is where the panels start - they're probably much wider.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I have been following this forum for a while and reading studying all the info/rumors about the upcoming JL that I can find. From what I have seen and read I have to disagree with the prediction that the JL will have a new "fixed top" configuration with removable panels in place of the traditional hard top/soft top set up Jeep has used on previous CJ and Wranglers.

I believe that the latest spy shots indicate that it will continue to have a top design very similar to the current set up. In the photo below you can see the seam between the front freedom top panels and the rear top section and where the rear top section meets the body above the rear wheels, just like the currant set up.

Of course I may be wrong but this is what I think based on what I have seen...

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and Sahara (JLU) Roof Exposed! {filename}
I think based on these photos your on the correct track, but I bet you that the rear panel is one roof panel (top) and 3 Side panels (drivers side rear window area, passenger side rear window area, and rear window area). This would make taking off the hard top a 6 step process and make it easier to remove as one person.

Also the reason the roof still has camo on the rails area is its hiding how panels are removed and attachment points.

AgingTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Wrangler, 04 SV 650
Not really much info about the top here. The real news here is in pic #5. You can really almost make out the shape of the hood scoop. Looks like rear openings.

Edit: now pic #24
Sponsored

Last edited: