2018 Jeep Wrangler Roof Design Previewed in Clay Models

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
I don't think anyone's called this out yet, but I'm pretty sure this model is set up with half-doors on the passenger side, and full-doors on the driver side. The more I look, I'm spotting quite a few differences. Thoughts?

Also, if I had to bet, I think the 'blue' Jeep in the concept montage drawing most accurately reflects how top on the physical model is meant to operate, for better or worse.
You're right I never noticed that until now. Half doors would be sweet. Also noticed that the window frame on the passenger side of the car are very different than the driver side. The passenger side windows look removable unlike the other side. Since this was a proposal it makes sense that they put lots of different options on the car to consider.
Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I'd like to believe everything including the roof edges can be removed too but if you look at the sketches they show how they envision the roof opening up. None of them show the grab handles area to be removable even when the doors are off.

The sketch on the upper top right seems to show the entire hard steel structure..

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler Roof Design Previewed in Clay Models {filename}
If the JLU gets the 3-piece removable pano/glass roof, As pictured on the electric blue model in the photo, I hope they let buyers mix and match glass colors, and any factory colors for the seals/trim on the removable panels, and of course that those panels all stow in the trunkspace, with a real tailgate folding down in back of them.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
The 2018 Wrangler will feature a fixed roof structure with 3 large and separate removable full-width panels -- the first two of which are over the first and second row seating, and the third separate panel which covers the rear cargo area.

A fully removable roof expanse would not only enhance the open-air feel capable with the bulk of the hardtop in place, but it would also enhance that functionality and flexibility of the cargo space to allow taller items to be hauled.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler Roof Design Previewed in Clay Models {filename}

The same can be said, for the raised center section in these panels here, the center glass can be clear or factory tinted, and the bezel/trim/mounting handle in various colors.

Last edited:

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
Nice analysis! I really hope you're right that the entire black portions of the roof can be removed (the grab handles would then make functional sense) but if they are then why bother cutting out those 3 middle pieces?
But if you were to remove the entire full panels on the roof of the concept you'd lose the 3rd brake light (built into the rear most panel), which is federally mandated right?

Sponsored

Ernie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Nice analysis! I really hope you're right that the entire black portions of the roof can be removed (the grab handles would then make functional sense) but if they are then why bother cutting out those 3 middle pieces?
My guess would be ease of removal to address a frequent complaint from Wrangler owners that the roof is a PITA to get off. This way you can easily make it open air and for people who want to remove the entire thing I'm guessing it can be done with some more time/effort. Just a guess.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yea easier to remove would be nice. I never take the top off my JKU as the hard top it too difficult to remove myself and even a PIA with my wife helping. I have wanted to get a roof winch for the garage but never got around to it.

JKguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU Rubicon, '03 GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel, 1995 YJ Laredo
Vehicle Showcase
Pictures!! Those would be the first exposed front end pics of the JL. Hopefully we see it soon. Anyone expecting a teaser or anything for SEMA?
Couldn't get pictures, I was driving and no one else was with me, plus its illegal to use a mobile device while driving in Nevada.

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
But if you were to remove the entire full panels on the roof of the concept you'd lose the 3rd brake light (built into the rear most panel), which is federally mandated right?
That's because this is just a concept and doesn't feature the factory third brake light mounted on the spare. I'm sure the JL will have 3rd brake light even if you're able to remove the roof.

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
Yea easier to remove would be nice. I never take the top off my JKU as the hard top it too difficult to remove myself and even a PIA with my wife helping. I have wanted to get a roof winch for the garage but never got around to it.
Ditto. I could see the panels being a popular feature if it's light and easy to remove. Full convertible is still a must however. You could even say it won't be a true Wrangler without the ability to do so.

Sponsored

JLtherig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU (future)
I went back to look at the JL prototype spy pics and none of them have shown any handles on the roof so I don't think we'll see those on the car.
Have you considered that maybe they're underneath all the camo? Or not...

I think we should all just stop trying to figure it out and let things play out however they will. Whatever the case, I don't suspect we'll be seeing a JK on the Jeep stand at NAIAS '17.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Have you considered that maybe they're underneath all the camo? Or not...

I think we should all just stop trying to figure it out and let things play out however they will. Whatever the case, I don't suspect we'll be seeing a JK on the Jeep stand at NAIAS '17.
First of all, the purpose of this forum is to speculate and pontificate about the JL. It's good clean fun. (Though many of our bosses will be glad to get us back to work)

Secondly, I guaran-damn-tee you the JL will not just be on the Jeep stand at NAIAS in January, but FCA will throw some kind of super-duper reveal. Katie bar the door... Many a panty will drop and good men will be reduced to tears. Putin will lose his shirt, the Pope will lose his hat, and President Trump will release his tax returns...

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
First of all, the purpose of this forum is to speculate and pontificate about the JL. It's good clean fun. (Though many of our bosses will be glad to get us back to work)

Secondly, I guaran-damn-tee you the JL will not just be on the Jeep stand at NAIAS in January, but FCA will throw some kind of super-duper reveal. Katie bar the door... Many a panty will drop and good men will be reduced to tears. Putin will lose his shirt, the Pope will lose his hat, and President Trump will release his tax returns...
This post is full of win. COTD

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
I went back to look at the JL prototype spy pics and none of them have shown any handles on the roof so I don't think we'll see those on the car.
Which photos could you even see it?

The only aerial roof shots i could find were of the pickup mule that pretty much shows a freedom top. Besides as others have mentioned it could also be an option and not standard on all JL's (if they even offer it).

Sponsored