2018 Jeep Wrangler Roof Design Previewed in Clay Models

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
If the final JL top is fully removable like this one it should at least be possible in theory to offer a traditional soft top. Where the rear could have soft windows and bows like we have now, and the front slides forward in a track between the steel parts. With this design leaks around the doors should be greatly reduced.
Can someone put this man in charge of the roof design :) That's exactly what I would want. I want a roof with this type of flexibility and I'd like to see a soft top too.

I think this sketch by a Jeep enthusiast (Ruptured Duck) captures what you mean? It's got a sliding soft top and separate rear soft windows/top.

Slider system.gif
Sponsored

The Doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler Unlimited, Future JT Pickup (hopefully)
I could live with this, minus the c pillar and soft cover over the flatbed.

opsfox21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2023 WL Overland
Can someone put this man in charge of the roof design :) That's exactly what I would want. I want a roof with this type of flexibility and I'd like to see a soft top too.

I think this sketch by a Jeep enthusiast (Ruptured Duck) captures what you mean? It's got a sliding soft top and separate rear soft windows/top.
Thanks, I wish! Living where I do the name of the game would reducing water entry.

I think that sketch looks good, having the rear cargo area completely free of sport bar is interesting. There would be a ton of options with this design... between soft panels, rear soft top, glass panels, rear hard top, no top, solid panels... in any combination possibly. This would make the two door look a somewhat Suzuki Sidekick-esque however.

Another strong possibility is that the JL will look like the blue Jeep in the picture above. Full length steel support with the ability to use three interchangeable -Renegade style- roof panels, where you'd have the ability to remove the glass windows in the rear. This would not feel as open as the JK, but it wouldn't be all bad, you would likely be able to store the hard or glass panels on board, and the power soft top could retract all the way to the D-pillar. It would also be a very strong/safe design.

Personally I'm not ready to let go of the traditional Jeep soft top; that has bows, soft windows and is completely removable. A proper Jeep silhouette to me has the humps on the roof from the bows... going all the way back to 1942. If they want the Sunrider to turn into a power Skyslider that's great because I'm lazy and it rains where I live all the time, so it only means I'll be able to use the feature more, but I want the humps on the roof and I want to be able to take the whole thing apart if the sun decides to shine for at least two days in a row. Failing that... they could make it up to me by putting a button on the key fob to retract the top remotely, so it opens as I walk up to it. Because if they ditch the fully removable roof we might as well stop pretending that is a real Jeep anymore and go with options that make life easier (Jeep has always been more about doing things the hard way, rather than the easy or practical way).

:cool:

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
Looks like the clay model shows that these patents are probably going to be pretty spot on...

Jeep-Wrangler-Roof-Removable-Top-Patent-1.jpg

Jeep-Wrangler-Roof-Removable-Top-Patent-2.jpg
Jeep-Wrangler-Roof-Removable-Top-Patent-3.jpg
Jeep-Wrangler-Roof-Removable-Top-Patent-4.jpg
Jeep-Wrangler-Roof-Removable-Top-Patent-5.jpg

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
Another strong possibility is that the JL will look like the blue Jeep in the picture above. Full length steel support with the ability to use three interchangeable -Renegade style- roof panels, where you'd have the ability to remove the glass windows in the rear. This would not feel as open as the JK, but it wouldn't be all bad, you would likely be able to store the hard or glass panels on board, and the power soft top could retract all the way to the D-pillar. It would also be a very strong/safe design.
Lord help us if that happens because Jeepsters are going to riot. A full steel roof even with removable panels will be the death of the Wrangler as we know it.

I don't see it happening and I think if the JL takes cues from this clay model the roof edge will be removable too. It even looks like it's designed that way and the sport bar is gone just to make way for changes to make it easier to remove the roof or keep it partially open. It would be totally asinine if they design the roof to be lighter and easier to remove but then prevent you from doing it by creating a metal cage around the panels.

Sponsored

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU

Slider system.gif

Interesting idea. Reminds me of the Sky Slider Roof of the Jeep Liberty

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Beside the front grille of the clay model and how rounded the hood is, I really like this concept actually.

The new roof will get some resistance from long time enthusiasts but I think at the end of the day most people will appreciate the new design for its ease of use and practicality. It should feel almost as open air as before while being easier to install/remove and also eliminate leaking issues.

JKguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU Rubicon, '03 GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel, 1995 YJ Laredo
Vehicle Showcase
Remember, these are proposal models, so these features may not make it to the production model. Just sayin'

Rockcrawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and Bikes
Remember, these are proposal models, so these features may not make it to the production model. Just sayin'
Yep, comparing it against what we've seen on the prototypes that's definitely true. There's already been stuff on the prototypes that clearly don't match this proposal model. But based on the info that's been posted here and elsewhere about the new roof, I think something like the roof on this proposal model is highly possible.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing I have to add is I wish they'd hurry up and reveal the darn thing!

And release it in JLUR, Mango Tango, 3.0 CRD with 6 speed manual, and give me full retail value of my WK in trade. (as long as I'm dreaming!)

Sponsored

JKguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU Rubicon, '03 GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel, 1995 YJ Laredo
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, comparing it against what we've seen on the prototypes that's definitely true. There's already been stuff on the prototypes that clearly don't match this proposal model. But based on the info that's been posted here and elsewhere about the new roof, I think something like the roof on this proposal model is highly possible.
True, Just the other day I saw a JL prototype driving on the I-15, It didn't look like it had anything like the proposal top on it, from what I could understand from the camo. The grille also looks similar to the YJ grille, It didn't have any camo over the grille, probably because of the temperature in Southern Nevada

Last edited:

Corduroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Cherokee
True, Just the other day I saw a JL prototype driving on the I-15, It didn't look like it had anything like the proposal top on it, from what I could understand from the camo. The grille also looks similar to the YJ grille, It didn't have any camo over the grille, probably because of the temperature in Southern Nevada
Pictures!! Those would be the first exposed front end pics of the JL. Hopefully we see it soon. Anyone expecting a teaser or anything for SEMA?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
BFT

sm_worthless.gif

E in DC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Jeep Cherokee (2 door)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think anyone's called this out yet, but I'm pretty sure this model is set up with half-doors on the passenger side, and full-doors on the driver side. The more I look, I'm spotting quite a few differences. Thoughts?

Also, if I had to bet, I think the 'blue' Jeep in the concept montage drawing most accurately reflects how top on the physical model is meant to operate, for better or worse.

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
The cool thing about this design is it allows for some factory attachment options for rack accessories etc. The handles themselves could be one of them.
I went back to look at the JL prototype spy pics and none of them have shown any handles on the roof so I don't think we'll see those on the car.
Sponsored