Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler Production Grille and (and LED Headlights?) Exposed!

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
This is the first look we've had at the rear glass open and how it's hinged and operates.

Anyone spot anything that confirms or denies this is the flip over / roof mounted rear glass from the patent?

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler Production Grille and (and LED Headlights?) Exposed! {filename}
Sponsored

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
This is the first look we've had at the rear glass open and how it's hinged and operates.

Anyone spot anything that confirms or denies this is the flip over / roof mounted rear glass from the patent?
To me it doesn't look like this window could flip up and over to lay flat on the roof. It's attached by struts so it'd have to somehow detach from the struts in order to flip all the way onto the roof. Doesn't seem likely?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
2 things;

1) A lot can change between these early mules and production.
2) There's nothing wrong with opening the glass and leaving it up while driving. I do it all the time with my TJ.

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
To me it doesn't look like this window could flip up and over to lay flat on the roof. It's attached by struts so it'd have to somehow detach from the struts in order to flip all the way onto the roof. Doesn't seem likely?
Who knows if the production model will have it attached to struts. It could be a left over part from the mule.

2 things;

1) A lot can change between these early mules and production.
2) There's nothing wrong with opening the glass and leaving it up while driving. I do it all the time with my TJ.
Nothing wrong with #2 but it's not ideal driving around with the glass up and not tucked in any way. I can see people forgetting about it and damaging it while backing up. I'd rather see a more elegant solution like the one shown in the patent.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Prediction:

The rear glass will be slanted slightly forward, and the rear quarter windows will be removable.

Slanting forward would help make the Jeep a tiny bit more aero, and perhaps lend a better aesthetic to the raked back windscreen.

Here's my case:

In the profiles of the JLU all cladded up to fool us super sleuths, I can see what looks like a fake facade for a vertical rear. What betrays the vertical is the canted plastic window opening, and an odd wedge showing thru the cladding as you would expect from a bolted on feature. To further substantiate my conspiracy theory is that there is an obvious gutter extending back past the rear doors, but not all the way to the rear. This gutter also gives me reason to suspect a removable window, the gutter keeping water from rolling inside. Could indicate a structural, non-removable roof...

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler Production Grille and (and LED Headlights?) Exposed! {filename}

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rockcrawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and Bikes
Prediction:

The rear glass will be slanted slightly forward, and the rear quarter windows will be removable.

Slanting forward would help make the Jeep a tiny bit more aero, and perhaps lend a better aesthetic to the raked back windscreen.

Here's my case:

In the profiles of the JLU all cladded up to fool us super sleuths, I can see what looks like a fake facade for a vertical rear. What betrays the vertical is the canted plastic window opening, and an odd wedge showing thru the cladding as you would expect from a bolted on feature. To further substantiate my conspiracy theory is that there is an obvious gutter extending back past the rear doors, but not all the way to the rear. This gutter also gives me reason to suspect a removable window, the gutter keeping water from rolling inside. Could indicate a structural, non-removable roof...
Ahh I see it!

With other members pointing out an angled/canted C-pillar and you pointing out the canted plastic window, it's looking more likely that the rear of the JL Wrangler will be slanted forward and no longer fully boxy and upright like the JK. Hope it doesn't take away from the masculine utility feel that the Wrangler's always given off.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Hope it doesn't take away from the masculine utility feel that the Wrangler's always given off.
Nah, look at some of the JKUs with the aftermarket bowless soft tops. I think it'll still look Muy Macho!

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
Nah, look at some of the JKUs with the aftermarket bowless soft tops. I think it'll still look Muy Macho!
Love the look of the bowless tops but with it possibly being a non removable OEM hard top I do worry about some of the rear visibility issues with a slanted back glass.

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Love the look of the bowless tops but with it possibly being a non removable OEM hard top I do worry about some of the rear visibility issues with a slanted back glass.
Could it really be a non-removable hardtop? Jeep is dooming JL Wrangler sales if they go that route.

Or do you mean a non-removable top frame made up of the A, B, C pillars and roof rails that connect them all at the very top. I could see that happening based on the rumors.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Could it really be a non-removable hardtop? Jeep is dooming JL Wrangler sales if they go that route.

Or do you mean a non-removable top frame made up of the A, B, C pillars and roof rails that connect them all at the very top. I could see that happening based on the rumors.
I'm going with the rumors. I also would rather have a fully removable top.

Sponsored

jb1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ Wrangler
I keep reading about removable panels and wondering how that is going to be different than the Freedom Top. I'm guessing if the sport bar is replaced with hard pillars and roof rails the two front panels could be reworked to fit over them in much the same way. The back roof/rear panel that integrates the side and rear glass can really be simplified if the roof structure is fixed.

One big question I have is whether the patent for the fold up rear glass is for a removable top or a fixed roof.

GI Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Waiting on next Wrangler
I think the rumors of a fixed roof are overblown. We know from FCA remarks that the JL is not going to be a huge change. It'll probably add a minimal hard structure where the sport bar would be just to pass rollover tests and keep it removable much like a hard top convertible.

Imagine how the aftermarket Wrangler tops would suffer from this. That's a multi million dollar industry in itself.

Rockcrawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and Bikes
I keep reading about removable panels and wondering how that is going to be different than the Freedom Top.
Could all the removable panels be glass?

One big question I have is whether the patent for the fold up rear glass is for a removable top or a fixed roof.
If it's for a removable top, that's gonna be one heavy top with the glass, struts, wiper, and wiper motor.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
If it's for a removable top, that's gonna be one heavy top with the glass, struts, wiper, and wiper motor.
The hardtops have had all that since the YJ.

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
Some new pics of a prototype spotted near FCA HQ. Doesn't show anything new but hey at least we know the car is still coming ;)

Sponsored