Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler Production Grille and (and LED Headlights?) Exposed!

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Unlimited test vehicles are finally shedding some of its camouflage, giving us our best look yet at the production grille while hot weather testing in Death Valley.

These prototypes show a noticeably more sloped rake to the grille and windshield angle in addition to what appears to be a slightly longer front end. The tailgate arrangement is seen as Jeep test drivers opened the rear door for loading; like the grille there does not appear to be a radical departure from the current Wrangler design.

We also get a nice peek at the LED headlight shape and size underneath the camouflage.

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Grille1.jpg

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Grille2.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Grille3.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Grille4.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Grille5.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Grille6.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Grille7.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Grille8.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Grille9.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Grille10.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Grille11.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Grille12.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Grille13.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Grille14.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Grille15.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Grille16.jpg

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler Production Grille and (and LED Headlights?) Exposed! {filename}
Sponsored

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
This strip tease routine is fun to follow :)

The windshield rake, grille angle/kink and headlights all look very sporty to me.

jb1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ Wrangler
The grille slats has changed ever so slightly. The openings seem to be wider by millimeters and the edges are less rounded/more boxy shaped. Also has diamond mesh grille insert. Overall looks tougher and more modern so far.

Compare:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler Production Grille and (and LED Headlights?) Exposed! {filename}

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
Great coverage pls keep them coming!

The side view makes the JL look huge. Let's hope it hasn't grown that much. That grill does look mean af tho!

CrashBurn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150
Definitely longer front end especially from the front doors to the front wheels. I don't mind the Unlimited getting longer like this but hope they keep the 2 door compact and close to current size.

Sponsored

jdemonto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DS 106
I can't imagine they are much larger maybe 2" at most. The 2dr looks to be close in size to the JK. That grill looks huuuuge, I guess that's why they moved the turn signals into the flenders!

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
This strip tease routine is fun to follow :)

The windshield rake, grille angle/kink and headlights all look very sporty to me.
I appreciate them keeping the classic Wrangler looks but updating it slightly to look more modern. Little things like the more backswept windshield and bent grille make a subtle but effective difference. Do the wheel fenders look bigger too?

My only worry is how the front bumper looks underneath. It looks like it sticks out a lot.

jdemonto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DS 106
Wheel openings have to be larger ESP with the larger tires being run on the mules. I'm not looking forward to the new windshield be raked looks to be 8*. The bumper is misleading because of the camo. Could be for euro pedestrian standards which require a longer bumper with soft edges.

Jason

PSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I can't imagine they are much larger maybe 2" at most. The 2dr looks to be close in size to the JK. That grill looks huuuuge, I guess that's why they moved the turn signals into the flenders!
I think the larger grill will work nicely with the larger sized car. Plus car faces and their signature corporate elements have been getting bolder and more prominent so this grill upsizing is consistent with that.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
The grille does look big but also very aggressive. It probably was done to help with aerodynamics and MPG too. Along with that sloping hood.

Sponsored

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

Jalopnik picked up on this site's news and tried to uncover the camo digitally... definitely looks more angled and aggressive.

jdemonto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DS 106
I think the larger grill will work nicely with the larger sized car. Plus car faces and their signature corporate elements have been getting bolder and more prominent so this grill upsizing is consistent with that.
Its not larger the pictures are very deceiving! It has a full JK interior likley because these mules are highly modified JK's.

Jason

jdemonto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DS 106
Jalopnik picked up on this site's news and tried to uncover the camo digitally... definitely looks more angled and aggressive.

The big issue with the rendering is that the grill is much larger than the JK. Also the turn signals are in the flenders now.

Jason

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

The big issue with the rendering is that the grill is much larger than the JK. Also the turn signals are in the flenders now.

Jason
Agreed it just a quick chop the author did. I'd like to see a proper rendering that incorporates the new larger/angled grille, repositioned turn signals, sloping hood (as it has been suggested) removal of the sport bar, and new roof design (wish we saw more of this).

Doyles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK Wrangler
Seems like they're trying to update the grill to more closely resemble the Cherokee with its kinked grill. I bet this is the design language going forward and we'll see the next Grand Cherokee and Renegade feature a kink in their grills too.

Sponsored