2018 Jeep Wrangler posts highest sales month ever, nearly outselling the Camry

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah. No... the JKs aren’t on clearance and aren’t appreciably cheaper, this has more to do with a good economy and the new JL model.
I strongly disagree. A JK Sport with a few options is no where near $40,000. Go to a lot and try to find a JL nicely equipped for under $35,000 and send us a pic. Ain't happening.

The pricing is HUGELY different between the two, which is driving sales. Also, the buzz around the new model is also driving sales of the old one, much like how when the new Chevy Colorado debuted with all it's fanfare, the 10 year old Nissan Frontier actually saw a big increase in sales.

New models get people into dealerships. Prices then cause the old models to sell better.

It's also the reason why vehicles like the Dodge Demon exist. They know few people can afford one, but it causes sales of lesser Challengers to increase due to the buzz.

Anybody who's been sitting on the fence will now jump off and make the purchase because they heard the JLs are going way up in price, which they clearly did.
Sponsored

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
I strongly disagree. A JK Sport with a few options is no where near $40,000. Go to a lot and try to find a JL nicely equipped for under $35,000 and send us a pic. Ain't happening.

The pricing is HUGELY different between the two, which is driving sales. Also, the buzz around the new model is also driving sales of the old one, much like how when the new Chevy Colorado debuted with all it's fanfare, the 10 year old Nissan Frontier actually saw a big increase in sales.

New models get people into dealerships. Prices then cause the old models to sell better.
The three dealerships around me have a fair amount of JKs on the lot that have been there for a while, the JLs however never sit more than a few days. I'd imagine that's pretty consistent around the country. I think your logic is a bit off

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

It's also the reason why vehicles like the Dodge Demon exist. They know few people can afford one, but it causes sales of lesser Challengers to increase due to the buzz.

Anybody who's been sitting on the fence will now jump off and make the purchase because they heard the JLs are going way up in price, which they clearly did.
I should remind you that yes, a JK Sport is nice and affordable, a JK Rubicon will still easily clear 40 grand. It's all on the option levels. There were JKs on the lot that were more expensive than my JL when I bought mine.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Like I always like to say, time will tell, I will be very curious how sales are going in 1 year.
Same here, I'm wondering how well the JT will be selling by that time myself. Or the Diesel JLU.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The three dealerships around me have a fair amount of JKs on the lot that have been there for a while, the JLs however never sit more than a few days. I'd imagine that's pretty consistent around the country. I think your logic is a bit off
Completely the opposite here. All three of my local dealers have lots of JKs and JLs and they ALL have been sitting for a while, but the JKs sell faster.

In fact, out of the 10 JLs that the dealer I bought from had on the lot back in mid April when I got mine, I bet I could check their website right now and 8 or 9 of them are still sitting there.
Sponsored