Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

FCA US Reports 2018 April Sales
  • Jeep® brand reports record April sales, up 20 percent
  • Jeep Wrangler reports highest month of sales ever, up 58 percent
  • Ram brand notches highest April retail sales ever, up 3 percent
May 1, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC today reported sales of 184,149 vehicles, a 5 percent increase compared with sales in April 2017 of 176,176 vehicles.

Overall sales were pushed by the Jeep® brand which reported record sales for April. Retail sales came in at 143,995 vehicles, down only 1 percent despite April having two fewer selling days and one less weekend compared with April 2017. Fleet accounted for 22 percent of total sales.

Jeep Brand
The Jeep brand total sales rose in April to 82,641 vehicles, eclipsing the record of 82,537 vehicles in April 2016. The Jeep Wrangler once again led the portfolio as the nameplate posted a new monthly sales record of 29,776 vehicles. April was also the second consecutive month of record sales for the Wrangler. Jeep Compass sales more than tripled to 11,521 vehicles.

Ram Truck Brand
Ram Truck brand sales declined 9 percent to 43,074 vehicles compared with the previous year. However, the brand reported its best April of retail sales ever with 36,560 vehicles sold, outpacing the last record of 35,558 set in April 2017.

Chrysler Brand
Chrysler brand total sales fell 18 percent in April to 14,189 vehicles compared with the same month a year ago. The Chrysler Pacifica minivan posted a 5 percent retail sales increase to 7,864 vehicles.

Dodge Brand
Dodge brand total sales rose 4 percent to 40,994 with the Dodge Journey setting a new April record as sales climbed 39 percent to 11,638 vehicles.

FIAT Brand
Sales of Fiat vehicles declined 45 percent to 1,404 vehicles.

Alfa Romeo Brand
Alfa Romeo brand sales of 1,847 vehicles were up significantly compared with the same month a year ago. Giulia led the brand with 1,123 vehicle sales followed by Stelvio at 702 vehicles.

Method of Determining FCA US LLC’s Monthly Sales. FCA US’s reported vehicle sales represent unit sales of vehicles to retail customers, deliveries of vehicles to fleet customers and to others such as FCA US’s employees and retirees as well as vehicles used for marketing. Most of these reported sales reflect retail sales made by dealers out of their own inventory of vehicles previously purchased by them from FCA US. Reported vehicle units sales do not correspond to FCA US’s reported revenues, which are based on FCA US’s sale and delivery of vehicles, and typically recognized upon shipment to the dealer or end customer. As announced on July 26, 2016, FCA US has modified its methodology for monthly sales reporting as follows:
  • Sales to retail customers by dealers in the U.S. are derived from the New Vehicle Delivery Report (“NVDR”) system and are determined as the sum of (A) all sales recorded by dealers during the month net of all unwound transactions recorded to the end of that month (whether the original sale was recorded in the current month or any prior month); plus (B) all sales of vehicles during that month attributable to past unwinds that had previously been reversed in determining monthly sales (in the current or prior months).
  • Fleet sales are recorded upon the shipment of the vehicle by FCA US to the customer or end user.
  • Other retail sales are recorded either (A) when the sale is recorded in the NVDR system (for sales by dealers in Puerto Rico and limited sales made through distributors that submit NVDRs in the same manner as for sales by U.S. dealers) or (B) upon receipt of a similar delivery notification (for vehicles for which NVDRs are not entered such as vehicles for FCA employees).

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 10.07.11 AM.jpg
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Where are these New Darts being stored?

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It would be interesting to compare:

1. How many 2018 JLs vs 2018 JKs sold in the month of January, February, March, April.
2. How many 2018 JLs vs 2017 JKs sold Jan - Apr 2017 vs Jan - Apr 2018.

In other words, is the JL more popular or less popular than the JK. Of course factoring in availability, etc.

I wonder if they share that level of detail.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It would be interesting to compare:

1. How many 2018 JLs vs 2018 JKs sold in the month of January, February, March, April.
2. How many 2018 JLs vs 2017 JKs sold Jan - Apr 2017 vs Jan - Apr 2018.

In other words, is the JL more popular or less popular than the JK. Of course factoring in availability, etc.

I wonder if they share that level of detail.
As far as I know they only report Wranglers as a whole, so that includes both JK and JL in both two door and four door.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
This is awful news... when they increase the coat of the 2019 precipitously, I'm gonna get killed... :asshat:

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I wonder how many JLs are sitting in storage lol.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah you can tell there are a lot of people trying to grab those JKs while they're still new and available! The last JK rolled off the line 4 days ago, so I'd say May will have huge sales for Wrangler also, and then in June we'll start to see the decline. By the end of summer, all that'll be left are new JLs with the huge price tags and then we'll get to see how well people are really going to respond to the new model.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah you can tell there are a lot of people trying to grab those JKs while they're still new and available! The last JK rolled off the line 4 days ago, so I'd say May will have huge sales for Wrangler also, and then in June we'll start to see the decline. By the end of summer, all that'll be left are new JLs with the huge price tags and then we'll get to see how well people are really going to respond to the new model.
I'd say we're responding pretty well as Wrangler sales are 58% higher than last April.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I suspect there will be a slump just because it seems like the dealer lots have been drained of JKs and the manufacture of JLs is still coming up to speed. I don't think there'll be a significant price-related slump, however: people want the Wrangler and there isn't anything else like it (yet?).

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'd say we're responding pretty well as Wrangler sales are 58% higher than last April.
Right but last April there was no rush to get the outgoing model while it's less expensive and still available.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Right but last April there was no rush to get the outgoing model while it's less expensive and still available.
Yeah but they're not giving out JKs for free, you're still paying well within JL territory for a JK. 44K for a well equipped JK at the dealer near me.

VanSchmittenstein

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Grand Cherokee Laredo
I suspect there will be a slump just because it seems like the dealer lots have been drained of JKs and the manufacture of JLs is still coming up to speed. I don't think there'll be a significant price-related slump, however: people want the Wrangler and there isn't anything else like it (yet?).
I don’t think that we will continue to see sales in the higher 20s or even 30k units even once production is fully ramped up. The facility wasn’t built for that much output and I don’t know how else they’d build that many. I think the JK production was always thought to be around 150k/year but they continuously pushed it past 200k. Close to 30k a month would put you well into the 300ks. That just doesn’t seem sustainable now that JK ended.

Bkenyon53

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS; 2016 JKU; 1971 VW Beetle
Yikes...by the sound of it, I'm going to get carpal tunnel syndrome from all of the waving I'll be doing.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Yeah. No... the JKs aren’t on clearance and aren’t appreciably cheaper, this has more to do with a good economy and the new JL model.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Are the JK’s and JL’s built in the same factory? If so the output is independent of the model and volumes will be a function of demand. I also don’t feel FCA would have shutoff supply of the JK if the demand were still there from the dealer network, they are indifferent as to what they make, money is money. The other thing to remember, the sales numbers are dealer deliveries and based on some of the posts on this blog a lot of units are hung up in shipping so the delivery numbers are lower than they might otherwise be. The bottom line is the Wrangler JL is a hit and attracting a lot of first time or long absent buyers, like me.
Sponsored