Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler Optional & Standard Features Availability Per Trim (Sport, Sahara, Rubicon)

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I still don’t know why they can’t have a sensor to know that you’re in neutral. Seems dumb that they don’t offer it. It’s not going to sway me from getting a manual but it’s still annoying.
They absolutely can have such a sensor. Is that enough though? I haven't driven a manual Jeep but in my 6-spd Corvette you need to have the clutch depressed in order to start, regardless of whether the tranny is in-gear or neutral. Is that not the case in current Jeeps? I know I never leave my 'vette parked in neutral anyway though as I trust the parking brake about 1/10th the distance I can throw it.
Sponsored

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
My point is Jeep is advertising passive entry but it's not an available option yet that can be ordered in their system according to forum members. Will dealers get a first run of wranglers without passive entry because it can't be ordered? What if a customer really wants that option? They have to wait another 3-6 months for their Wrangler? Similar situation with paint options. IMO, Jeep should not have opened the order banks until all variables are finalized.
Is it not a standard feature? Every car I’ve ever had with push start automatically had the passive entry as a part of that, and push start is standard on the upper models, so my assumption has been it is either standard or not available depending on the trim you order.

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
They absolutely can have such a sensor. Is that enough though? I haven't driven a manual Jeep but in my 6-spd Corvette you need to have the clutch depressed in order to start, regardless of whether the tranny is in-gear or neutral. Is that not the case in current Jeeps? I know I never leave my 'vette parked in neutral anyway though as I trust the parking brake about 1/10th the distance I can throw it.
They’d have to bypass the clutch position sensor. There must be a safety reason for not wanting to do it.

I agree the Corvette Parking brake sucks, the C5 st least. Maybe new ones are better. I always leave mine in gear too.

Pete

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
They’d have to bypass the clutch position sensor. There must be a safety reason for not wanting to do it.

I agree the Corvette Parking brake sucks, the C5 st least. Maybe new ones are better. I always leave mine in gear too.

Pete
Yep, safety reason. Think of how many knuckleheads with a manual would somehow accidently trigger remote start while the Jeep is in 1st gear. There's a good chance the vehicle would actually start, then mow down things in its path.

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
Everyone needs to calm down on the $3500 hit for the Pentastar V6 with automatic transmission. The Pentastar is the base engine. Meaning it is included in the base price of the vehicle. The automatic is extra like it's always been. When have you ever heard of a manufacturer (I'll exclude some possible exotic) that sells a car without an engine, then says, oh, you wanted an engine? That'll be extra.
Let's wait and see official pricing and options lists before we go off the deep end. :)
Wouldn’t the base engine be the 6sp manual? Which would make the 8sp auto an update? Which could mean getting that could cost $3,500?

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Wouldn’t the base engine be the 6sp manual? Which would make the 8sp auto an update? Which could mean getting that could cost $3,500?
How long has a transmission been an engine? Now wonder why its $3,500. I'll take 2 with mine.

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
How long has a transmission been an engine? Now wonder why its $3,500. I'll take 2 with mine.
{paired with transmission} I thought was ‘automatically’ (see what I did there) implied in the comment given what type of forum this is. Excuse the brevity since it wasn’t part of my underlying point. I guess when I post from now on I’ll take more of my time to really spell it out for those who are on here as comedians/English teachers/ mechanics/ etc.

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
{paired with transmission} I thought was ‘automatically’ (see what I did there) implied in my comments given what type of forum this is.
But as the engine itself remains the same 3.6L for the $3,500 option, but is the different 2.0L for the $2,000, then your phrasing does have other implications that make it sound like a transmission AND engine difference for $3,500 which is incorrect and further clouds and already confusing price premium issue.

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
But as the engine itself remains the same 3.6L for the $3,500 option, but is the different 2.0L for the $2,000, then your phrasing does have other implications that make it sound like a transmission AND engine difference for $3,500 which is incorrect and further clouds and already confusing price premium issue.
I could see how some might read it that way, so fair enough. My question was/is, is it possible the 8sp transmission pairing is what will cost the $3,500? That doesn’t make sense to me, but neither does the other guesses. Guess we’ll wait and see.

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase
Is it not a standard feature? Every car I’ve ever had with push start automatically had the passive entry as a part of that, and push start is standard on the upper models, so my assumption has been it is either standard or not available depending on the trim you order.
It can be ordered as of the most recent update to the order bank on December 4th. The code is GXD and i added the code to my order just in case.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I could see how some might read it that way, so fair enough. My question was/is, is it possible the 8sp transmission pairing is what will cost the $3,500? That doesn’t make sense to me, but neither does the other guesses. Guess we’ll wait and see.
I understand, but remember that the 2.0L also comes with the 8spd only as it has no 6spd option (much to many people’s chagrin), so there is more going on there, which is why this issue is already confusing even before we worry about phrasing.

So had you made it clear that there were a $3,500 premium for the transmission alone that may have helped, but then that also implies a $1,500 discount for the 2.0L vs 3.6L which is hard to reconcile, so reducing others confusions is helpful, even if admittedly our criticisms can use a little less pedantry. :movember: ;)

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
So watching the various review videos it's mentioned in several that the rear HVAC vents for the back seats are only present on the 4 door models. Want to confirm if that's true. Seems dumb to me as it's hot or cold back there regardless of the number of doors and I thought the addition of the rear vents to the JL was a big welcome change.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
So watching the various review videos it's mentioned in several that the rear HVAC vents for the back seats are only present on the 4 door models. Want to confirm if that's true. Seems dumb to me as it's hot or cold back there regardless of the number of doors and I thought the addition of the rear vents to the JL was a big welcome change.
They are on the 2 door as well. Don't have a picture at the moment but they are there. See this video starting at 6:04. Not shown but he mentions them. He's in the 2 door Rubicon.
Sponsored