Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Mule Confirms Six-Speed Manual!

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Recent rumors have been swirling that the redesigned 2018 Jeep (JL) Wrangler would sacrifice the manual transmission and offer only the ZF eight-speed automatic (which we confirmed here) all in the name of fuel efficiency and cost savings.

We're happy to debunk those rumors now as we show you the first visual confirmation that the six-speed manual transmission will live on in the 2018 Wrangler JL!

As you can see from our latest photos, the six-speed will also feature a new shifter design with the reverse gear relocated to the upper left position, implying that the 2018 Wrangler could get a different manual transmission.

We expect the six-speed to be available only on certain JL Wrangler trims and most likely not be paired with the upcoming 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6. It is likely to be offered only with the upgraded 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 engine, as with the current generation Wrangler.

2018 Jeep Wrangler 6 Speed Manual Transmission 1.jpg

2018 Jeep Wrangler 6 Speed Manual Transmission 2.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler 6 Speed Manual Transmission 4.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Mule 1.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Mule 2.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Mule 3.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Mule 4.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Mule 5.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Mule 6.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Mule 7.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler 6 Speed Manual Transmission 3.jpg
Sponsored

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
Hallelujah! Great news thanks for posting. I guess those take rates weren't THAT low :)

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
I was beginning to think they'd lost the plot if the rumors came true that there'd be no manual. Now let's keep the open air roofless design... pretty please. :)

Mspeters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
military jeeps
Any info on the transmission source ?

The shift pattern matches the Aisin unit in the current 3.5L Toyota Tacoma, the RC62F. The RC61F with lower 1-3 ratios, is used in current Toyota diesels.

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Sure wish they would bring the Diesel to the US WITH the manual trans. Good on FCA for listening to enthusiasts tho, there is hope for the JL yet.

Sponsored

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
Lol at that label on the dash. You think Jeep wanted to make sure there was no doubt the manual is alive and well?

So the 2 door and the manual survive. Now just need the soft top and it'll check all the boxes for me!

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
We expect the six-speed to be available only on certain JL Wrangler trims and most likely not be paired with the upcoming 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6. It is likely to be offered only with the upgraded 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 engine, as with the current generation Wrangler.
Any reason why the 6 speed would only be available on certain trims when you can get it on any JK trim currently?

jb1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ Wrangler
Tremec 3160 tranmission?
Possible based on the shift pattern.

It's used in the 2016 GT350 which means it can be configured to support high HP/TQ applications such as the 526HP/429 LB-FT for the GT350. Some other info I found on the TR3160:

"The TR3160 six speed transmission was designed to be used in light truck, SUV, and performance applications. It can be configured as either single or double overdrive. Centerline distance (the distance between the input shaft and the countershaft) is 81mm. This dimension is what typically drives torque capacity, hence its relevance here. A higher number means greater strength potential with respect to torque load as larger diameter gears can be used. Each gear (and shaft) is of SAE 4120H steel. All gears are hard finished with laser welded clutch teeth.

The aluminum cased TR3160 weighs 112lbs (dry, with "mass reduction") and is an end load design. Externally, the unit consists of an integral clutch housing, main case, and tailshaft housing. Lubrication is not internally pressurized but rather is "splash." To date, TR3160 units do not come equipped with external cooler fittings, etc."

Sponsored

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab

It's used in the 2016 GT350 which means it can be configured to support high HP/TQ applications such as the 526HP/429 LB-FT for the GT350. Some other info I found on the TR3160:

"The TR3160 six speed transmission was designed to be used in light truck, SUV, and performance applications. It can be configured as either single or double overdrive. Centerline distance (the distance between the input shaft and the countershaft) is 81mm. This dimension is what typically drives torque capacity, hence its relevance here. A higher number means greater strength potential with respect to torque load as larger diameter gears can be used. Each gear (and shaft) is of SAE 4120H steel. All gears are hard finished with laser welded clutch teeth.

The aluminum cased TR3160 weighs 112lbs (dry, with "mass reduction") and is an end load design. Externally, the unit consists of an integral clutch housing, main case, and tailshaft housing. Lubrication is not internally pressurized but rather is "splash." To date, TR3160 units do not come equipped with external cooler fittings, etc."

Well at least it can handle a V8 power ;) Is 112lb considered light? Wonder if that's the reason they chose it since they seem to be all about weight reduction for the JL.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

To compare the current NSG 370 six speed manual has a torque capacity of just 272 lb-ft. If the JL gets the TR3160 that will be a big upgrade in terms of the robustness of the manual tranny.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I know it's just a test mule but the size of the warning sticker makes me concerned the JL won't have a clutch/starter interlock defeat. :(

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Mule Confirms Six-Speed Manual! {filename}

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I know it's just a test mule but the size of the warning sticker makes me concerned the JL won't have a clutch/starter interlock defeat. :(

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Mule Confirms Six-Speed Manual! {filename}
Guess it depends on what words are in that area we can't read because of the glare?

If it says "Can Not Be Started Without Clutch Depressed" then that might mean that there's clutch/starter interlock defeat I guess, but just because it says that doesn't mean a fuse can't be pulled to override it.

On other hand if it says "Must Be Started Without Clutch Depressed" then maybe we have a built in starter interlock defeat from the factory?

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
How many guys here are picking up a manual? With the new auto coming out, it makes the auto slightly more attractive to me compared to current ancient 5 speed.
Sponsored