Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Mule Confirms Six-Speed Manual!

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Give me a diesel with a 6 speed!!!!
Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
How many guys here are picking up a manual? With the new auto coming out, it makes the auto slightly more attractive to me compared to current ancient 5 speed.
Never owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission, and never will.

There have been a few vehicles over time I've considered buying, but when they dropped the stick they fell off my list.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I save my gear rowing for my go fast car ('13 Challenger) where it is actually fun to hear and feel it rev. For my Wrangler I prefer auto for both on and off road since it is not only a DD but i see it as more of a cruiser/occasionally taking it on sand, mud or climbing rocks where I can focus on steering.
To each their own; I prefer a manual whether a sports car, Jeep or old pickup truck.

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
To each their own; I prefer a manual whether a sports car, Jeep or old pickup truck.
200_s.gif

We need more buyers like this to vote with their wallets and keep manuals alive! Plus, a manual Jeep just seems right.

And I think it should be offered across the board for all JL models. Why keep it from the diesel? Those buyers are more likely to want to row their own gears more than any others.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
200_s.gif

Why keep it from the diesel? Those buyers are more likely to want to row their own gears more than any others.
This one I can answer: torque.

Not a lot of manual transmissions can handle the torque generated by a diesel engine.

I don't know if they still do, but the FCA family used to have one, as you at least used to be able to get the Cummins-equipped RAM 2500 with a stick.

Sponsored

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

This one I can answer: torque.

Not a lot of manual transmissions can handle the torque generated by a diesel engine.

I don't know if they still do, but the FCA family used to have one, as you at least used to be able to get the Cummins-equipped RAM 2500 with a stick.
Just posted this in the other thread too... there was speculation in the spied manual transmission thread that it might be a Tremec 3160 manual transmission. That box is used in the 2016 GT350 Mustang which has high HP and TQ (526HP/429 LB-FT). So if it's really a Tremec 3160, it'll hold up to to the V6 ecodiesel's torque (420 lb-ft).

DropTopGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA: 2018 JL Wrangler, 2017 GS Corvette
Vehicle Showcase
My JL will have a 6 speed manual simply for the "fun factor", well, fun to me. I'm looking for variety and already have autos. My Porsche PDK is amazing and by far the best and fastest shifting car I've experienced. Granted, the 7 speed auto in my Corvette is very nice too.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
My JL will have a 6 speed manual simply for the "fun factor", well, fun to me. I'm looking for variety and already have autos. My Porsche PDK is amazing and by far the best and fastest shifting car I've experienced. Granted, the 7 speed auto in my Corvette is very nice too.
PDKs are useless to me; my normal shift pattern is 1 -> 3 -> 6. Can't do that without an awful lot of paddle twiddling.

MDWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ, Dodge Journey, Toyota Corolla
count me in the auto crowd. I am using my Jeep as a DD as well a weekend warrior. I have my fun car in my sights my 69 Cutless, and that DOES have a stick.

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
I wonder if there'll be any MPG difference between the 6 speed manual and 8 speed auto.

My Porsche PDK is amazing and by far the best and fastest shifting car I've experienced. Granted, the 7 speed auto in my Corvette is very nice too.
Off-topic but how's the shift speed of PDK compared to the Corvette 7 speed in real life? Chevy claimed it was faster shifting than PDK I think.

Sponsored

DropTopGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA: 2018 JL Wrangler, 2017 GS Corvette
Vehicle Showcase
My 2010 GS Corvette (auto 6 speed that was tuned for the track) and now my 2017 GS Corvette (auto 7 speed, factory tune) are not nearly as fast nor as smooth as the PDK in my 2015 Porsche Boxster S. The PDK is so fast, smooth, and accurate that there is no way one could manually shift or even paddle shift better than the PDK in auto mode, particularly when the PDK is in either "Sport" or "Sport Plus" mode. Having also experienced the Ferrari F1 dual clutch auto in both a California and 430, the PDK was definitely smoother and seemed just as quick shifting. Got to hand it to Porsche, they do make some serious and well put together machines. If you have never driven / owned a Porsche, especially the modern models, it is difficult to understand.

BTW... the high gears on the JL 8 speed auto should yield some better MPG, more so during highway or steady driving. Granted. not huge MPG, rather an additional 1 to 3 MPG improvement.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Count me in as well, so long as it's a GOOD transmission. As I've said in other threads, I've never cared for the noisy, rattly, low-quality feel of the NSG370. It should have died with the TJ.

orey22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Jeep Wrangler 2dr / 2019 JL 2dr
Count me in as well, so long as it's a GOOD transmission. As I've said in other threads, I've never cared for the noisy, rattly, low-quality feel of the NSG370. It should have died with the TJ.
Amen! :clap:

Limitless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep SRT
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't a fan of the the JK 2012+ manual trans at first. I started with a 2012 JK 6spd and moved on to a 2014 JKU 6spd. In 2012, I was like WTF am I doing, this is so clunky. 2014, Its so smooth, I feel at home. I've personally become attached to the truck like feel of the JK/JKU and I hope they keep that ruggedness.
Sponsored