2021 = ?

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
So what's the consensus here... Do most of you think that the Moab will be available for order with the 2019's or was it a 2018 only special edition?

Have special editions in the past spanned multiple years? What time of year do they typically announce special editions?

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Also don’t feel you need to sell your trade in to the dealer you’re buying from. Even though I’m trading in a 2016 Jeep Cherokee, I was able to sell it to Carmax for more than the Jeep dealership offered me. So shop it around.
Don’t you lose tax credit by selling your vehicle to a different dealer and not trading it in toward the new vehicle? For example if you buy a new vehicle for $49000, but get $30,0000 for your trade, you only have to pay state sales tax on the $19,000 difference, not the whole $49000 purchase price. At 7% sales tax that’s a $2100 savings.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Don’t you lose tax credit by selling your vehicle to a different dealer and not trading it in toward the new vehicle? For example if you buy a new vehicle for $49000, but get $30,0000 for your trade, you only have to pay state sales tax on the $19,000 difference, not the whole $49000 purchase price. At 7% sales tax that’s a $2100 savings.
That is correct. So another dealer would need to pay you 7% more to make financial sense. But in my case that is what happened.

Carmax gives you an offer thst is valid for 7 days. So get an offer from them, then use the next week to shop it around.

Sponsored

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Moab was only a single year the last go round on the JK, but this seems to be more of a parts bin special than the last one. I don't see why they wouldn't keep it around for 2019, but who knows. Might end up with a different special edition.

So what's the consensus here... Do most of you think that the Moab will be available for order with the 2019's or was it a 2018 only special edition?

Have special editions in the past spanned multiple years? What time of year do they typically announce special editions?

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Let's see . If you get 300000 for your trade , and spend 49000 , then you cleared a profit of 251000 . You will then pay a capital gains tax of about 50000 , and bank the remaining 201000 . Good move .

Then you can buy a Ferrari .

Vawildjeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2 1/2” stage 2 Icon lift 37” Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 20” Fuel Beasts.
Occupation
Business owner
Vehicle Showcase
For someone who doesn’t need all the off-road capabilities that the Rubicon offers this is a pretty decent choice I think. Let’s face it, 90% of Jeep owners aren’t using them for serious off-roading. I don’t know all the pricing specs but this model loaded is less than the Rubicon loaded isn’t it? And you get the vented hood which I really like. I may look into this option if the money works

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For someone who doesn’t need all the off-road capabilities that the Rubicon offers this is a pretty decent choice I think. Let’s face it, 90% of Jeep owners aren’t using them for serious off-roading. I don’t know all the pricing specs but this model loaded is less than the Rubicon loaded isn’t it? And you get the vented hood which I really like. I may look into this option if the money works
Just for fun I built a Rubicon on Jeep’s website with all the creature comforts in a Moab. It winds up being about $3-4K more. So you’re right, you’re giving up some of the hardcore off-road options for that amount of money. But IMO if you’re really doing some off-roading, do you want to do it in a new $50k+ vehicle? Or spend $10k on a 15 year old Jeep and another $10k in mods, and not be constantly terrified of scratching the new paint job?

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7, 1997 TJ, 2018 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Just for fun I built a Rubicon on Jeep’s website with all the creature comforts in a Moab. It winds up being about $3-4K more. So you’re right, you’re giving up some of the hardcore off-road options for that amount of money. But IMO if you’re really doing some off-roading, do you want to do it in a new $50k+ vehicle? Or spend $10k on a 15 year old Jeep and another $10k in mods, and not be constantly terrified of scratching the new paint job?
Agree with this 100%. If you want to do occasional, mild off-roading, then doing it in your $50K daily driver will probably work out OK, but maybe not, if you're unlucky. If you want to do frequent, serious off-roading, though, and you don't have access to a substantial pile of cash, you're much better off buying an inexpensive used Wrangler (if there is such a thing) and modding it for your off-road adventures. This is a strategy that has served me well over the years. You can afford to take a lot more risks with a car you don't have to rely on to get to work on Monday morning!

Sadly, however, my latest "extra" Jeep became my oldest son's daily driver on his 16th birthday a few years ago, and I haven't been able to do any serious off-roading since! Oh well, someday after I get all my kids through college, I'll be able to buy another old Wrangler and build it up for the nasty trails, but until then, it's blue runs only for me! :(

Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also don’t get me wrong. The Moab would still be an off-roading beast. The only big advantage the Rubicon would have is in rock climbing. But in mud or sandy conditions, I think rhe

Here is why I’m 98% sure the Moab will be offered in 2019: there were custom parts on it. Although some people have accused Jeep of just using the special edition to clean out their surplus parts, there was at least one part (the wheels) which are not offered on any other edition. Additionally, the matte black parts are not repeated on any other models. So Jeep would’ve had to make these custom for the Moab. It doesn’t make financial sense to produce features which would only be offered for a couple weeks.

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7, 1997 TJ, 2018 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Here is why I’m 98% sure the Moab will be offered in 2019: there were custom parts on it. Although some people have accused Jeep of just using the special edition to clean out their surplus parts, there was at least one part (the wheels) which are not offered on any other edition. Additionally, the matte black parts are not repeated on any other models. So Jeep would’ve had to make these custom for the Moab. It doesn’t make financial sense to produce features which would only be offered for a couple weeks.
I think you are right, but wow, if they don't continue it, those few people who managed to get their 2018 Moab orders through are someday going to have an extremely rare collector's item on their hands!

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
I just received written confirmation from Northern California district manager that the 24M package, Moab edition, will be available to add to Sahara trim orders when the ordering banks open for the 2019’s as planned next week.

It has been suggested that some dealerships are using the confusion to enhance their negotiating position on already ordered 2018 Moab
Jeeps. I’m not saying they do so nefariously, they may just be operating without all of the correct information regarding the 2019 status.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just received written confirmation from Northern California district manager that the 24M package, Moab edition, will be available to add to Sahara trim orders when the ordering banks open for the 2019’s as planned next week.

It has been suggested that some dealerships are using the confusion to enhance their negotiating position on already ordered 2018 Moab
Jeeps. I’m not saying they do so nefariously, they may just be operating without all of the correct information regarding the 2019 status.
Awesome news for you! So happy you’re going to be able to order the color/options you want. $50k is a lot to spend to “settle” on your second choice color and options.

person500

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Moab Edition, 2018 JLU Sahara

Ah, but will you be able to order a Mojito Moab in 2019? That is the bigger question! ;)
Sponsored