Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL is for shorter owners? How to lower seats?

Daktari

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Wrangler in the near future
I don't own my Jeep yet, but we rented a Sport JL for a week in Moab. I'm 6'3'' and had no problem seeing everything, didn't even have the seat all the way back. I do have the seat back reclined a bit (same in my Tacoma) and I did adjust the steering wheel to my liking. Could see everything (and used that display quite a bit during that week). Maybe some just like to ride more upright, then I can see the wheel blocking the display. Since I had read about this issue here before it was one of the things I was looking for, but had no issues. We were just lucky to get one of their new JLs, mostly they still had JKs. So ended up with a weeklong offroading test drive that now has me hopelessly addicted :)

Try playing with the adjustments some more and I've also read posts where people took it to an upholstery store and had some of the foam in the seats cut out.

Good luck! Hope you can find a setup that works for you. I can't see the clock in my 16 year old Tacoma without leaning to the right, has been mildly annoying for 16 years :-D
Sponsored

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
I'll repeat what was suggested again.. the seat lowers without after-market parts...

Look for a handle on your left side of the driver's seat.
I think the point was that even when the handle is all the way down its still not low enough.

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
I was gonna say, does he know he can push the seat lever down to lower the seat? I’m 5’-11” and I can see the whole cluster. The sun visor? Well that just depends on where the sun is when your driving. Thats with any vehicle. Sometimes the visor helps, sometines it wont.
Good luck out there..
Us folks 6' and over find it too high, yes, even with the seat lowered all the way....

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Us folks 6' and over find it too high, yes, even with the seat lowered all the way....
Amen brother! I have gotten used to it, though, I don't even notice it anymore- I'm 6'3 and have plenty of headroom, just cant see the top of the dash info- not that it matters.

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Amen brother! I have gotten used to it, though, I don't even notice it anymore- I'm 6'3 and have plenty of headroom, just cant see the top of the dash info- not that it matters.
Yep, we all adjust, but, I bet you can't put on a sunshade with the freedom tops off. I tried it, my head hits it every time.

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, we all adjust, but, I bet you can't put on a sunshade with the freedom tops off. I tried it, my head hits it every time.
Yea, I don't have a sunshade, I thought about it though. Good information.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I'm 6'3" with longer torso and had about 1.5" foam padding cut out of the rear portion of the seat bottom back in January. It lowered the seat an inch and was perfect height. Two months ago, I started feeling the seat structural bars and had padding added back and now I'm back to where it was originally. My head touches the roll bar and I'm staring at the top frame of the windshield. Very annoying...never had this problem in previous Honda's, jeep cherokee, Infiniti....etc. I really want a seat lowering kit.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Most bizarre thread ever...

I’m 6’1” and I am perfectly comfortable. Some of you must be mutants...

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Well, no, not all of us. I'm 6'2", long torso. I have my seat raised 2"above bottom, and see the whole panel nicely. Still have 3" clearance overhead. Dont have the seat all the way back, either.

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
Jeeps are a niche, straight axle, so why not come up with the aftermarket assist for a guy 6'7". I have heard of placing nuts under the front seat mounts to lean it back so why not lower it a little more

Sponsored

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I am 6'7". Dash is a minor issue compared to the rear view mirror. I look down on the rear view mirror. I have come so close to running people off the road who are merging onto my lane in front of me.
I can deal with limited legroom, risking a skull fracture against the entertainment bar, and not seeing the top of the dash. But the rear view mirror blind spot is a killer. Literally...

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Uh....I bet one could fab up a set of lower seat brackets...or install a different seat with different brackets...*if* one really wanted to lower the seat that much.
I checked with 2 fab shops...they didnt see a way to lower it. Do you know of any seat MFG's for the jl?

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

im 6'1" and do not have any issues with the seat height and not being able to see all of the display. i do drive with my steering wheel at a slight tilt and fully pushed into the dash. I also have the seat adjusted all the way down
Sponsored