Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Hits Dealer System - 1st Official Look @ Engines, Options, Packages, Features!

shawnebell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB, CJ5, CJ7, CJ8, M109, M38, TJ, JK
It's been a sweltering summer with no A/C in my '02 GC, and air only blows from the defrost. I'm foregoing this costly repair for a down payment on a JL diesel, even if I have to suffer through the Summer of 2018. I owned a Golf TDI manual (42/49 mpg) for 15 years. Praying for a Rubicon diesel, preferably with a stick shift.
It may be somewhat unlikely that the diesel will have a manual transmission - although it's the thing I want. I'm only guessing at this as the description includes "ESS" which denotes "Electronic Stop Start" in the order bank. If that holds true, then we may be stuck with only an automatic diesel. Having an ESS system with a manual would be just freakin' insane.

As far as the radio goes, the current crop of 8.4 systems has been updated to include Apple Carplay and Android Auto (the newest version is in the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Challengers that I've seen). They won't separate the two out for the new Wrangler, as that would add unnecessary complexity not to mention logistical nightmares for the suppliers and the assembly line.

I'm curious about the "high roof" option. What the heck is that?
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
... If that holds true, then we may be stuck with only an automatic diesel. Having an ESS system with a manual would be just freakin' insane.
I wouldn't use ESS as a guide of manual/auto, there are lots of manual transmission ESS system in Europe and abroad... including a lot of the Alfa Romeos, and.. the Wrangler CRD diesel.

As far as the radio goes, the current crop of 8.4 systems has been updated to include Apple Carplay and Android Auto (the newest version is in the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Challengers that I've seen). They won't separate the two out for the new Wrangler, as that would add unnecessary complexity not to mention logistical nightmares for the suppliers and the assembly line.
Actually it would be quite easy to make it firmware selectable feature, and charge for each, although it appears they aren't doing that.

They simply have a master unit with all the features, and then they are unlocked or locked by using the production version of the dealers' Star Scan tool, the way they currently do with the BackUp Camera and Rear Seat Entertainment features on the Wrangler's 430 radio.

Neither complex nor a challenge on the assembly line who wouldn't really notice it except if their job is to test all features, and they would see all the variations, all the lock-out/lock-in features are associated with the VIN once the vehicle configuration is locked in and then it's programmed automatically as part of the normal prep.

JL's JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future 2018 JL
Do we have any idea yet on what options will be available on what models/trims for the next generation Wrangler?
I would not trust this to be completely finalized yet but this image could be some of the JLU Sahara options. The OP also has a few trim specific options listed.

2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-jt-img_4014-jpg.jpg

shawnebell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB, CJ5, CJ7, CJ8, M109, M38, TJ, JK
I wouldn't use ESS as a guide of manual/auto, there are lots of manual transmission ESS system in Europe and abroad... including a lot of the Alfa Romeos, and.. the Wrangler CRD diesel.
Well, maybe you wouldn't ... but I would.

While there may be "lots" of manual transmission ESS systems in Europe and abroad, that really doesn't mean much in the United States of America, which is neither "Europe" nor "abroad." Just as the DOT or EPA. Y'know; the guys who approve things like ESS to work with specific types of transmissions in the United States - something that they haven't done for the 3.0 diesel.

As far as the Wrangler CRD diesel goes, I haven't ever seen a single one of these vehicles with the ESS technology and a manual transmission ever. And they drive them all over the place down in So. Cal.

Ford, Chevy, Nissan, and even RAM do not have ESS technology in their diesels that are coupled with a manual transmission.

So, while you might not use ESS as a guide, it seems that most of the major manufacturers do.

Actually it would be quite easy to make it firmware selectable feature, and charge for each, although it appears they aren't doing that.

They simply have a master unit with all the features, and then they are unlocked or locked by using the production version of the dealers' Star Scan tool, the way they currently do with the BackUp Camera and Rear Seat Entertainment features on the Wrangler's 430 radio.

Neither complex nor a challenge on the assembly line who wouldn't really notice it except if their job is to test all features, and they would see all the variations, all the lock-out/lock-in features are associated with the VIN once the vehicle configuration is locked in and then it's programmed automatically as part of the normal prep.
It wouldn't at all be "quite easy" to make any kind of "firmware" feature. The differences between Apple Carplay and Android Auto are significant, costly, and ultimately not something that a manufacturer is going to separate out after putting in so much time and money into integrating both into a single unit.

Perhaps some aren't familiar with giving the customer what they want. While some customers will go colorblind for a good price when it comes to buying a red Wrangler when they came in wanting a Granite Crystal one, it's far less likely that they'll change phone carriers, get new phones, upgrade their contacts, and get hooked into a new 2-year phone plan just to buy a Wrangler. That's silly.

And besides, the Uconnect 8.4 system that supports Carplay and Auto is already in production. As I said, the new systems are appearing in the Chrysler and Dodge products. By the end of 2018 it will be standard across all CDJR models.

While there may be a pie-in-the-sky panacea in your world that allows techs to use a StarScan tool to change a radio whenever a customer comes in to test drive a car, in the reality currently in operation in THIS dimension, techs and work bays cost time - as in billable hours - neither the dealership nor the manufacturer is willing to pay to continually flash firmware. Techs and bays are there to generate revenue.

And heaven forbid if a family comes in that has a mix of Android and Apple products that all have to be paired to the ridiculous (and imaginary) Apple- or Android-Only 8.4 radio...

To be clear: the 130, 430, 430N, 730, and 730N radios are all going to be retired from service; the Uconnect radios that are standard across the rest of the CDJR and Maserati lines are what is going into the new JL. Any argument that references "well, this is how they do in in the 430" are irrelevant and immaterial.

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Can VW, Ford, GM, Mitsubishi, Mercedes? Nope. They all leak.
Just ordered new seals for my top...every time we get a heavy rain, the floorboards are soaked. It's that little gap next to the B pillar that does it...

(Over 5 years of being fairly leak free...not bad I say)

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Well, maybe you wouldn't ... but I would.

While there may be "lots" of manual transmission ESS systems in Europe and abroad, that really doesn't mean much in the United States of America, which is neither "Europe" nor "abroad." Just as the DOT or EPA. Y'know; the guys who approve things like ESS to work with specific types of transmissions in the United States - something that they haven't done for the 3.0 diesel.

Ford, Chevy, Nissan, and even RAM do not have ESS technology in their diesels that are coupled with a manual transmission.
ESS has nothing to do with offering a manual transmission. Cummins doesn't offer ESS on their engines, and they are the only other ones currently paired with a manual transmission. What manual Transmission F-150 is out there now diesel or gasoline?

Also the EcoDiesel currently doesn't have ESS in the RAM or GrandCherokee even for export, which makes the Wrangler version unlike any other implementation currently out there. So it's a unicorn where previous rules don't apply, including your made-up one about ESS and a manual transmission. That there are other ESS manual transmissions combos out there proves it's not a technical limitation. The technical limitation is torque handling of the transmission.

Is there a Pentastar 3.6L with ESS and a manual transmission out there in the US? Does that determine that combo?

So, while you might not use ESS as a guide, it seems that most of the major manufacturers do.
No, they use engineering, marketing and sales as a guide, not a feature like ESS.

It wouldn't at all be "quite easy" to make any kind of "firmware" feature. The differences between Apple Carplay and Android Auto are significant, costly, and ultimately not something that a manufacturer is going to separate out after putting in so much time and money into integrating both into a single unit.
It is easy, and it can be done in firmware.
Just like Hyundai did to add it;
http://fortune.com/2016/05/26/hyundai-dyi-android-auto-carplay/

But sure, tell me how impossible that is to alter configurations in a head unit.
That they may not bother is a different question.
We were the ones saying earlier in the thread that it would be counter to the customer experience to offer them separately.

No one said the JL was getting the older radios, however they are still firmware locked and changeable, just like the old decks. The use of the 430 was to illustrate a similar example,on the existing platform as to how features are locked out until unlocked, and how the same hardware can have multiple firmware profiles.

For BOTH of these things you make them sound like insurmountable limitations, which they aren't, at least not in the way you're thinking of them

Last edited:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Grape... :facepalm:

jeepney123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Train Set
I wonder if the 'Cold Weather Group' will feature a heated steering wheel?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Funny thing is I just saw 2 on the lot about an hour ago when I picked up my JK after window replacement, and was walking around looking at the latest models including finally seeing a Smokey Mountain edition.
Oh, I know. I live in one of the most Jeep-populated states in the country. I easily see a dozen, if not more, Wranglers out and about every single day. But I'll be damned if I can remember the last time I saw a 2-door JK Sahara around southern Colorado. I know they're out there, but they're definitely not common here anymore. They were everywhere during the TJ years.

The Sahara is definitely popular out in California, which I visit regularly, but I still see more 4-doors than anything.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Because the 4 door didn't exist in the TJ era?
Exactly, which was my original point as to why I can understand Jeep killing the 2-door Sahara.

Novenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford focus
Did I read somewhere on here that there will be no towing package on the JL? Or am I mistaken...

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase