Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Hits Dealer System - 1st Official Look @ Engines, Options, Packages, Features!

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer Sport
Welcome to the site. Have you seen these images? Basically exterior and interior revealed already. I'm sure the base models will look slightly different but the basic styling and changes is all here. :involve:

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/say-hi-to-the-2018-jeep-wrangler-jlu.726/
http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/renderings-new-jeep-wrangler-jlu-comes-to-life.729/
http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...terior-of-the-2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu.1129/
Yep saw them. I'm saying more of the revealed car (basically no camo, lets just see the thing already lol).

In terms of some of the special editions, is there a good way to know where those special editions fall into...like what a Wiley is built off of (Sport, etc)?
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
In terms of the special editions, is it easy to determine which ones are based off of Sport, Sahara, Rubicon?
Easy is a relative term, but usually they state it clearly with the official PR announcement about the special edition, which is usually repeated by the press/reviewers.
Also often it's stated in the Window Sticker description, sometimes with the Sport/Sahara base in the description with the 24? package option added on. The window stick in and of itself will give you clues based on axle ratio, and such.

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
Yea my 2013 JKUR has every option with the exception of 4.10 gears and remote start. MSRP on it was $44K and some change I paid $37K out the door using the Tread Lightly discount and additional negotiations. So I think its totally doable
How did you go about negotiations? I plan on using the tread lightly discount as well on my bare bones JLU but anything else to lower the price would be extremely helpful.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
How did you go about negotiations? I plan on using the tread lightly discount as well on my bare bones JLU but anything else to lower the price would be extremely helpful.
I searched the forums and saw what kind of discounts people were getting off without the program so I had that average going in. I then told them I wanted the discount combined with the tread lightly discount. The dealership I worked with said Ok as long as I would put the order in right then. So I did and had my custom ordered Wrangler roughly 6 weeks later.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
I realize they could offer a FT 4WD Hi in RockTrac, but it would require a major redesign, as the RockTrac is chain driven, so next to no slippage in the system, so 'No FullTime without a major Re-design'...which could be the slogan. ;)
I thought that SelecTrac was chain driven too?

Hmmm, it's possible they all use a chain drive... Anyone want to weigh in further? Edit: nevermind.

nv242_1.jpg

rock-trac-cutaway.jpg

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It is. There is a viscous coupling that allows for differentiation between the front and rear drive, and allows for full time all wheel drive that can be driven on dry pavement. There is also a locked setting that locks the coupling part time 4wd, which is superior to full time 4wd in extreme conditions. Then, there is still a low range that is also locked. The transfer case itself is still chain driven.

I think this is a great system for the Sahara and much of the market it serves. Full time 4wd would be nice to have for everyday winter driving.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, I should've been clearer, to offer it in RockTrac needs a redesign to add a diff like a plate, viscous, or Torsen diff inside or inline adjascent to the system... essentially turning it into an NP/NV242 or something similar. So not just adding FT to the NV241OR.
While there is the potential to make it better and more evolved than the NV242, I'm not sure FCA has excess funds to soend on such and endeavour. Why not simply improve on the existing design that has done so well, and if anything add a different gear ratio reinforced unit, the same way there is Command-Trac and Rock-Trac?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is. There is a viscous coupling that allows for differentiation between the front and rear drive..
The NV242 uses a mechanical diff, not viscous unlike the NP249/229 etc. which makes it somewhat more durable and no loss of energy that you get from a VC.

Superwinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon, Yamaha Raptor 660
I know we just recently saw spy pics here of the diesel JL but it's a relief to see it actually see the diesel model in the Jeep dealer computers!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Rock-Trac is great...........if you're in the rocks.

On every other terrain it sucks. Most guys hate it. Snow, mud, sand, water crossings, etc....you don't want to be crawling like a snail with a broken leg.

Sponsored

Taimaishu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I know we just recently saw spy pics here of the diesel JL but it's a relief to see it actually see the diesel model in the Jeep dealer computers!
Very surprising to see it in their system already. I wonder if that means it will be available right away given how there's still a lot of other things that are supposed to be late availability (like power sliding top) and missing from the options list.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I wonder what the tow rating will be for the JLU between the engines? I'm torn between a diesel and the pentastar because I work from home and only make short trips into town with the odd 35 minute highway drive. Thing is I have a 3500+ pound boat I need to pull and my old 2008 3.8 liter sucks.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder what the tow rating will be for the JLU between the engines? I'm torn between a diesel and the pentastar because I work from home and only make short trips into town with the odd 35 minute highway drive. Thing is I have a 3500+ pound boat I need to pull and my old 2008 3.8 liter sucks.
The engine won't be the limitation, it'll be the suspension.
Probably all 3 would have enough torque to pull the current 3,500'lbs rating, and likely the split at capability will occur around 6,000; however, other components will likely limit the JL(U) to 5,000 lbs or less, as an arbitrary PR/marketing number.

Especially with the JT on the Horizon, there isn't much reason to put high numbers in for either towing or payload, for something that's still more of a 'convertible' than a truck in the towing/hauling world.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The engine won't be the limitation, it'll be the suspension.
Probably all 3 would have enough torque to pull the current 3,500'lbs rating, and likely the split at capability will occur around 6,000; however, other components will likely limit the JL(U) to 5,000 lbs or less, as an arbitrary PR/marketing number.

Especially with the JT on the Horizon, there isn't much reason to put high numbers in for either towing or payload, for something that's still more of a 'convertible' than a truck in the towing/hauling world.
Well I'd be happy with a 5000 rating. I used to have a 2002 liberty when those first came out and that little thing had a 5000 rating some how.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well I'd be happy with a 5000 rating. I used to have a 2002 liberty when those first came out and that little thing had a 5000 rating some how.
KJ had a high towing capacity because it was built like a tank. The 2002 KJ had the transmission from the Ram 3500, rear axle from the Dakota 4x4, t-case from the truck line, cast iron A-arms up front, etc. It also was not a convertible like the TJ was or the JK is now. And trailer hitches for KJ bolted down the unibody frame horns, not to only a crossmember like JK. Therefore, the KJ got a much higher towing capacity. It was rated 7,000 lbs. in Europe I think and like you said, 5,000 lbs. here in the States.
Sponsored