Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Hits Dealer System - 1st Official Look @ Engines, Options, Packages, Features!

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I wonder if the diesel will only be offered on top trim models. I hope not, since the Ram 1500 can be had with an ecodiesel on its basic work truck trim line.
If i'm not mistaken, you had to have a higher trim level on the Jeep Grand Cherokees to get the 3.0L. I would bet this would be the same.
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
does this indicate no more 16" steel wheels? The base model will now get 245/75 17 tires with 17" wheels? No more dinky 28" tires? This would be nice for guys like me on a budget.

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf
Am I the only one floored by the fact that they're "hybrid" turned out to be a belted generator? I can't believe they're even calling it a mild hybrid.
The benefit is they can add batteries and electric motors in the future and increase power and efficiency. The BSG is a good intro to test R&D and packaging.

At least that's where my mind would be as an engineer/designer/marketer.

AgingTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Wrangler, 04 SV 650
Am I the only one floored by the fact that they're "hybrid" turned out to be a belted generator? I can't believe they're even calling it a mild hybrid.
"Mild hybrid" is an automotive industry term which generally describes this type of system. The full hybrid will come later in a couple years. I expect the full hybrid to be the option already being offered by ZF for its 8 speed transmission. I was hoping for a differential drivetrain coupled system which I don't think the ZF option is (haven't looked into it enough to know). I find it interesting that the BSG is standard on the hurricane. Modern turbo systems can already have remarkably low lag but when it comes to rock crawling its still too much. I bet the BSG will provide some assist especially at the low end to fill the gap. Hopefully it will also provide some regenerative braking. I think this helps clear up some of the confusion over which will be the standard engine. Pentastar standard, hurricane hybrid. I expect the price to be similar. Maybe a little more for the hybrid. Just an educated opinion though.

AgingTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Wrangler, 04 SV 650
If I remember correctly, from early interviews, mild hybrid was always going to be available at launch.

Sponsored

hazards280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JLUR 392 - Sarge Green
I'd really like to see the JL offered in the same color as the rendition at the top of the website.:like:

Last edited:

Tiago

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner
Glad to see some big factory tires.. LT285/70R17C OWL Off-Road :rock:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
If i'm not mistaken, you had to have a higher trim level on the Jeep Grand Cherokees to get the 3.0L. I would bet this would be the same.
Thats correct, its on Limited and up models. I was wondering if they where going to only offer it with the Sahara and Rubicon models on the Wrangler.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

The Selec-Trac full time 4x4 is a nice surprise!

Only downside is you can't use a front auto locking differential with it.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Not 100% on this yet, but the latest info we have is:
  • Sport and Sahara will get Command-Trac as standard
  • Sahara will get Selec-Trac as an option
  • Rubicon will get Rock-Trac
This sounds interesting. Sounds like Rock-Trac is just a more hardcore version. :like:

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
So, do we still not know which manual is being offered? Surely it isn't the NSG370...

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

What the hell is a belt starter generator?

Selec-Trac!!! BEST t-case ever offered!!!

Now I gotta' have one!!
"FCA is also developing a mild hybrid using belt starter generator (BSG) technology. BSG offers improvement in fuel economy and a reduction in CO2 emissions at a relatively low cost. This technology utilizes an electric motor which acts like a modified alternator that generates current, but also doubles as a starter to restart the engine when the vehicle is stationary. BSG is expected to be applied to FCA vehicles within the next two years."

http://reports.fcagroup.com/sustain...ility/responsible-products/electric-and#start

From a 2014 investor report:

2014 FCA Investor Report - Powertrain.jpg

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
That would be cool, At first glance I was thinking some kind of roof rack system but I'd much prefer what you have in mind.

Some great stuff in here...Thank u JLWF u guys are on top of it as always!!! Very excited to see Selec trac too.
"Management" system sounds more like it would be a roof rail than it does side steps or rock guards. I'm thinking more Overland focused system for different parts/accessories.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
These are separate options? :facepalm:
Exact-A-F*%kly !! Like I said, why bother, when everyone is doing both now finally. Even the Sirrius, can we please do away with that !?!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
This sounds interesting. Sounds like Rock-Trac is just a more hardcore version. :like:
Nah, the reason the Rubi gets the RockTrac is because it's still a 4:1 ratio, Command Trac and Select-Trac are both 2.7:1 ratio with no other option currently. So it does make sense to Have full blown RT on Rubicon

Hopefully Select-Trac is offered on other 'special editions', because I want a more stout 'Sahara' if that's all it's limited to, something like the BackCountry or Chief, where you get nearer a Rubi without the 4:1 and without the Swaybar disco, though I'd love both too, but will sacrifice for Select-Trac for better manners in Winter.
Sponsored