Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Hits Dealer System - 1st Official Look @ Engines, Options, Packages, Features!

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Nah, the reason the Rubi gets the RockTrac is because it's still a 4:1 ratio, Command Trac and Select-Trac are both 2.7:1 ratio with no other option currently. So it does make sense to Have full blown RT on Rubicon

Hopefully Select-Trac is offered on other 'special editions', because I want a more stout 'Sahara' if that's all it's limited to, something like the BackCountry or Chief, where you get nearer a Rubi without the 4:1 and without the Swaybar disco, though I'd love both too, but will sacrifice for Select-Trac for better manners in Winter.
Is there a down side to the 4:1 ratio?
Sponsored

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
Whether you like the info or not at least things are getting more clear. I can't wait to get my first Wrangler. I'm getting a bit scared by the price talk though. I was going in assuming the models will be similar base prices to the JK. If they bump $10k I might have to do more sweet talking to the wife.

Pete

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Is there a down side to the 4:1 ratio?
Not really. Unlike your Axle ratio, it's only 4:1 in 4Low, and really IMO that gives you much better control for the 4Lo stuff.
Now the one possible drawback is if you like to drive 'somewhat quicker' in 4lo , especiallylocked, in which case you get about 10+ MPH from the 2.72:1 vs the 4:1, this is rare, and really only for people who know how this is useful (most people should use 4Lo for crawling or descending, not 20+MPH) you can definitely strain things at those speeds if you do not know what you are doing and especially do it for a long period.

Axle ratios give up efficiency for performance, but this is a limited use. Now you can work the system against it's axle limitation in that a Rubicon with stock 'lesser' 3.73 axles will still have a better crawl ratio than a Sahara with upgraded 5.38 axles. So you can keep off-road prowess but give back some highway efficiency with a better transfer case ratio, but the axle will still affect acceleration while the T-case doesn't, so there's still that in the bigger picture.

The 3:73 Rubi was my old rig, because the 3.73 axle also had less of a tendancy to slip in wet/icey winter intersection, etc, But when needed off-road I could always dial it up with the RockTrac.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Not really. Unlike your Axle ratio, it's only 4:1 in 4Low, and really IMO that gives you much better control for the 4Lo stuff.
Now the one possible drawback is if you like to drive 'somewhat quicker' in 4lo , especiallylocked, in which case you get about 10+ MPH from the 2.72:1 vs the 4:1, this is rare, and really only for people who know how this is useful (most people should use 4Lo for crawling or descending, not 20+MPH) you can definitely strain things at those speeds if you do not know what you are doing and especially do it for a long period.

Axle ratios give up efficiency for performance, but this is a limited use. Now you can work the system against it's axle limitation in that a Rubicon with stock 'lesser' 3.73 axles will still have a better crawl ratio than a Sahara with upgraded 5.38 axles. So you can keep off-road prowess but give back some highway efficiency with a better transfer case ratio, but the axle will still affect acceleration while the T-case doesn't, so there's still that in the bigger picture.

The 3:73 Rubi was my old rig, because the 3.73 axle also had less of a tendancy to slip in wet/icey winter intersection, etc, But when needed off-road I could always dial it up with the RockTrac.
Interesting. Yea I will not likely be in 4 Lo all that often due to the fact I am doing more Overlanding then crawling. My use is a lot of 4 High, as its driving off road through sand and trails but very little rock crawling. Also HWY is important to me as I will be driving a lot of 5-6 hour road trips to locations. Being in Boise, Idaho I'm road trips away from Bend, OR, Jackson, WY, Yellowstone Park, Salt Lake, UT, Moab, UT, ..... pretty much any interesting place in OR, WA, ID, WY, UT, or MT.

jeepney123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Train Set
iris.jpg

Will we still see these wheels 'Granite Crystal Pockets' in the 2018 models? I believe the size is 18" x 7.5"

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
[/QUOTE]Will we still see these wheels 'Granite Crystal Pockets' in the 2018 models? I believe the size is 18" x 7.5"[/QUOTE]

:puke:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. Yea I will not likely be in 4 Lo all that often due to the fact I am doing more Overlanding then crawling. My use is a lot of 4 High, as its driving off road through sand and trails but very little rock crawling. Also HWY is important to me as I will be driving a lot of 5-6 hour road trips to locations. Being in Boise, Idaho I'm road trips away from Bend, OR, Jackson, WY, Yellowstone Park, Salt Lake, UT, Moab, UT, ..... pretty much any interesting place in OR, WA, ID, WY, UT, or MT.
I know that kinda trekking (17,000KMs in just over a month, Coast to Coast Cross Canada for Canada 150 Trek for me, longest day 1,600 KM from Dryden to Calgary from sun-up to sun-down, I've driven it so many times [like 20x] no point in sight seeing).

For that 4Lo won't matter, and both Transfer cases are 1:1 in 4 Hi, and really most overlanding is 2WD even in soft road.

Woulda been interesting if they'd come out with the rumoured 2Hi , but I'd much rather have Selec-Trac than just a 4 speed transfer case, especially since the 8-speed transmission's wide soread makes a 2Hi kinda pointless.

So even for your use case there's no drawback, and you could take advantage of lower axle ratios for efficiency being made up for by the 4:1 transfer case..... HOWEVER... in your other thread you mention rolling on 37s, so you're going to want/need to keep the axle ratio high anyways to keep it moving easily, so the Transfer Case is really less of a concern for you than the axles, transmision and engine as discussed in the other thread.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I'd still take the manual over the auto. If and ONLY if the diesel isn't de-tuned with lower torque. If I HAVE to take the auto to get 400+ ft/lbs of torque, so be it.

Having said that, I don't believe for a second the manual will be an option with the diesel.
My wife has a 2014 Grand Cherokee with the ecodiesel. I don't like driving it in manual mode with the paddle shifters so I can't imagine how annoying it would be with a full manual. Also, out of the box it's a pretty tame engine. When she got it was slow, and we averaged 24-26mpg. Last year we got a tune on the engine, and now it's a rocket (0-60 in about 6.2 secs) and last year going to colorado, we averaged 33-35mpg. I'd love to have it in that form in my JK.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Whether you like the info or not at least things are getting more clear. I can't wait to get my first Wrangler. I'm getting a bit scared by the price talk though. I was going in assuming the models will be similar base prices to the JK. If they bump $10k I might have to do more sweet talking to the wife.

Pete
No way they bump the price up $10k. I think we're definitely in store for a price hike but I think $2-4K max.

North Idaho Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, but I've owned 13 Jeeps
Long time forum stalker here, first comment. My general functionality and QC concerns aside, I'm on pins and needles waiting to see these tan interior options. I can't believe how prolific an all black interior has become on the Jeep JK, a trend that seems to be continuing with the JL lineup. For a vehicle supposedly designed to explore and have the top come off, black is hot as heck, and impossible to keep clean when you make even semi regular excursions into the woods. If anyone at FCA is reading this, please give us some more functional "earthy" options. Nothing gimmicky like compasses mounted in the dash, or a special "you're cool" badge, just some functional colors that aren't jet black, in a durable and well thought out package. Even the Jeeps currently sitting at Dave Smith Motors, the largest dodge dealer in the world, all seem to be in "skittles" color schemes, with awful, solid black interiors.

Sponsored

Yoodie

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 JLUR Mojito!
Does someone at FCA have some creepy Granite Crystal obsession? ....it is avail on like every vehicle they sell and is an accent color as well. 4 years of availability on the Wrangler I think (14,16,17,18). I don't dislike the color just thought we would see more variety on the JL, not 4 colorless holdovers and red.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon

Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC Yukon
Long time forum stalker here, first comment. My general functionality and QC concerns aside, I'm on pins and needles waiting to see these tan interior options. I can't believe how prolific an all black interior has become on the Jeep JK, a trend that seems to be continuing with the JL lineup. For a vehicle supposedly designed to explore and have the top come off, black is hot as heck, and impossible to keep clean when you make even semi regular excursions into the woods. If anyone at FCA is reading this, please give us some more functional "earthy" options. Nothing gimmicky like compasses mounted in the dash, or a special "you're cool" badge, just some functional colors that aren't jet black, in a durable and well thought out package. Even the Jeeps currently sitting at Dave Smith Motors, the largest dodge dealer in the world, all seem to be in "skittles" color schemes, with awful, solid black interiors.
I believe the black/tan interior refers to the black dash/door panels and tan leather seats like it does in the JK. The Black leather has Black dash/door panels. I think you can rest easy that they will not make a dual tone seats with black and tan leather.

41628258b710ae0bd4e7b98d0c7da2d1--jeep-wrangler-interior--jeep-wrangler.jpg

Also, the new Tan Soft Top should coordinate nicely with the Tan Leather.

Tan top 3.JPG

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For a vehicle supposedly designed to explore and have the top come off, black is hot as heck,
:like:

It's also amazing that when you do get the Saddle / Tan interior... the ArmRest is still FAQin' Black !!

(edit see above, pic posted between when I hit submit)

One of the first things I buy with a new Wrangler, new fabric armrest cover for that hot-plate of an armrest.

Stuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho JLU Sport S
Oh my god...

I had to sell my beloved 2012 JK a few months ago to get my down payment for a property... It was pretty depressing... I was debating waiting for the JT because I kinda wanted a truck... contemplated buying a Tacoma or a Powerwagon in the interim to give the JL a few years to work out the kinks, but...

Well, here's a picture of my old jeep. I know what I must do now. :) You guys... I'm so happy right now. :)

kef7JBg.jpg
Sponsored