Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) First Sighting! Spy pics of prototype.

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Here is your first look at the 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler spied testing in Auburn Hills, Michigan!

This heavily camouflaged prototype shows signs of aerodynamic changes with a more raked windshield which looks to help improve fuel economy along with expectations of heavy use of aluminum on the traditional body-on-frame setup for the next-generation Jeep Wrangler JL.

Although covered by heavy cladding there are hints of a potentially longer front end and wider, more bulging front fenders compared to the current Jeep JK Wrangler.

Jeep has insisted that the pursuit of improved fuel economy will have no effect on the Wrangler's off road capabilities which officials have stated will be improved in the next Wrangler iteration.

The Pentastar V6 and eight-speed automatic are expected to be the mainstream powertrain in addition to a 3.0-liter V6 turbodiesel and hybrid variant.

The 2018 Jeep Wrangler should appear sometime early next year and go on sale by next summer.

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL1.jpg

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL2.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL3.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL4.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL5.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL6.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL7.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL8.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL9.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL10.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL11.jpg
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL12.jpg
Sponsored

Doyles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK Wrangler
Finally something to see! I just hope the front protruding bumper is not really part of it, makes it look huge.

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
Didn't realize the JL Wrangler is right around the corner tho I guess the JK has been out for what like almost 10 years? Looks like the styling won't be revolutionary, just evolutionary. That's a good thing in my book. Current car already looks awesome.

Interesting that the body will get more use of aluminum. I doubt most of us Jeep owners really care about losing weight that much (I know I don't).

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
Didn't realize the JL Wrangler is right around the corner tho I guess the JK has been out for what like almost 10 years? Looks like the styling won't be revolutionary, just evolutionary. That's a good thing in my book. Current car already looks awesome.

Interesting that the body will get more use of aluminum. I doubt most of us Jeep owners really care about losing weight that much (I know I don't).
Woa can't believe it's been almost 10 years since the JK was introduced... and they're still selling like hotcakes!

What I want to see from the JL is that it retains all the technical capabilities is already has and not get any softer in becoming a soccer mom type SUV like most SUVs out there. And definitely don't get softer on the styling either. That prototype looks like it might have even bigger fenders so that's a plus!

And hi everyone, good to see there's a place for us potential future JL owners :)

CrashBurn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150
Looks like a Jeep. I don't think the front/grill is as leaning as some are thinking. It's just the camo being stretching by that big front bumper sticking out.

Sponsored

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
Looks like a Jeep. I don't think the front/grill is as leaning as some are thinking. It's just the camo being stretching by that big front bumper sticking out.
The front bumper looks a lot bigger than the current one, maybe to match the huge fender flares.

PSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Does seeing 4 door first mean it will be introduced first? Or should we expect the 2 and 4 door to come together?

Rockcrawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and Bikes
Very similar to the current model but I think I see a more angled windshield compared to the current one.

This pic shows it.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) First Sighting! Spy pics of prototype. {filename}

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
Very similar to the current model but I think I see a more angled windshield compared to the current one.

This pic shows it.
I can see it too. Some are saying the front grille will also be more angled back. Hard to tell from these pics, the slope on the camouflage is just from being stretched over the front bumper. And it's hard to see grille angle underneath it.

Sponsored

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
I can see it too. Some are saying the front grille will also be more angled back. Hard to tell from these pics, the slope on the camouflage is just from being stretched over the front bumper. And it's hard to see grille angle underneath it.
Hey please keep the Jeep looking like Jeep! Please don't be getting all aerodynamic and efficiency obsessed :)

Brogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge
Or it could be to fit the 8 speed trans. Or for better front crash test ratings. They did mention wanting to improve efficiency and on road dynamics.

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
Or it could be to fit the 8 speed trans. Or for better front crash test ratings. They did mention wanting to improve efficiency and on road dynamics.
yea I think the long front end is for the 8 speed and also maybe to meet Euro crash standards.

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
After looking at the pics again... is there some kind of small roof spoiler?
Sponsored