Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL DROPS MAJOR CAMO, REVEALING NEARLY ALL!

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Wish they would have moved the wiper down to the tailgate.

I took the entire arm off the rear wiper of my TJ, since it was blocking my rear viz. I may do the same with the JL, though if I end up getting a JT, it won't be an issue.
Sponsored

AleYeah

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Sport
Some of the wheels we're seeing look close to the current JK Recon's wheels. I hope this means the bolt pattern's staying the same. (I have aftermarket wheels on my JKU I'd really like to swap over if I get into a JLU vs another JKU.)

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
Sorry forgot to upload image....

It appears Jeep has the washer fluid nozzle at the top of the glass with an ugly hose coiled up behind the glass. Why didn't they move the washer jet to the wiper?

Also a significant amount of the rear glass appears to be blacked out along the borders. Maybe not much improved rear visibility other than the wiper being moved to bottom. What's the purpose of blacked out borders?
2018-JL-Wrangler-Uncovered-JLWRANGLERFORUMS-13.jpg
Could that be a sloppily placed rear windshield defogger instead? I can barely make out some black horizontal lines on the rear windshield

cosmec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2015 Subaru WRX, 2012 JK-Previously
Build Thread
Link
I've been following this site for months and am so thrilled to see the progression. It does boggle my mind that some of you are nitpicking things like poorly placed running boards, border tint on the rear hatch and "thrown together" window washers and such. None of these are production models. I'm tabling any of my own criticism until we see the Jeep as its meant to be seen and completed. I hope we get to see pictures of the interior on these mules soon.

Very excited and cant wait to let jeep take my money!

jeepney123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Train Set
The original concepts have the JT on a RAM based platform. Maybe they are Ram width axles?
Based on what I was able to glean from my measurements of the JL mules, the track with is 63.9". This a two inch extension over the JK's measurement of 61.9", however it still falls well short of the RAM's 67.1" width.

Sponsored

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Some of the wheels we're seeing look close to the current JK Recon's wheels. I hope this means the bolt pattern's staying the same. (I have aftermarket wheels on my JKU I'd really like to swap over if I get into a JLU vs another JKU.)
I think it's safe to say the JL Wrangler wheel bolt pattern will stay the same.

I've been following this site for months and am so thrilled to see the progression. It does boggle my mind that some of you are nitpicking things like poorly placed running boards, border tint on the rear hatch and "thrown together" window washers and such. None of these are production models. I'm tabling any of my own criticism until we see the Jeep as its meant to be seen and completed. I hope we get to see pictures of the interior on these mules soon.
Word!

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
What's with the old school antenna? Is there no where to put a bee stinger (which I prefer to shark fin style)?
How would that work on the soft top or if you pulled off the hard top? ;)

How would that work with the soft top of if you pulled off the hard top? ;)

Based on what I was able to glean from my measurements of the JL mules, the track with is 63.9". This a two inch extension over the JK's measurement of 61.9", however it still falls well short of the RAM's 67.1" width.
That matches up with the wider measurement of the rear axle.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
What's with the old school antenna? Is there no where to put a bee stinger (which I prefer to shark fin style)?
Because....
  • It's old-school and people moan about change, so keep that familiar.
  • It works better than a 24" X-antenna so keep it useful for the few that use it instead of XM or MP3/4s.
  • It acts as a clearance guide when offroading or in parking garages because it's just above the roofline.
and most importantly...
  • Jeepers can swap it to something else like a rubber whip or 50cal stubby for ~$20 if they don't like it.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It appears Jeep has the washer fluid nozzle at the top of the glass with an ugly hose coiled up behind the glass. Why didn't they move the washer jet to the wiper?
Because the top of the window works better for coverage, and if it's weak due to age or failure or has to struggle against an increased vacuum behind the rear of the Wrangler, a top position is more likely to at least dribble on the window in the path of the wiper. As you can also see the wiper is parallel right below to catch as much fluid as possible while starting it's wiping pass maximizing the washer fluid usage.

Also, even if you put the nozzle at the bottom you still need to put the hose the length of the opening/closing window and to the middle of the glass to put it alongside the wiper, meaning you use more hose to get to the nozzle and you now have to account for more of it getting in the way in the rear view. The location they chose seems to only have a small amount of coil obstructing.

Incorporating it into the frame of the hardtop could save you more, hose and would be easier to manage hose sightlines, but then it might not aim well since it's not flush with the glass, plus you increase the chance you might get some in the crack between window and glass... and more leak complaints and possible wear of carpet or whatever if it got in due to the solvents in the washer fluid.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Because the top of the window works better for coverage, and if it's weak due to age or failure or has to struggle against an increased vacuum behind the rear of the Wrangler, a top position is more likely to at least dribble on the window in the path of the wiper. As you can also see the wiper is parallel right below to catch as much fluid as possible while starting it's wiping pass maximizing the washer fluid usage.

Also, even if you put the nozzle at the bottom you still need to put the hose the length of the opening/closing window and to the middle of the glass to put it alongside the wiper, meaning you use more hose to get to the nozzle and you now have to account for more of it getting in the way in the rear view. The location they chose seems to only have a small amount of coil obstructing.

Incorporating it into the frame of the hardtop could save you more, hose and would be easier to manage hose sightlines, but then it might not aim well since it's not flush with the glass, plus you increase the chance you might get some in the crack between window and glass... and more leak complaints and possible wear of carpet or whatever if it got in due to the solvents in the washer fluid.
That's it! Due to this egregious design flaw, I'm getting the JT. :punch:

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it's safe to say the JL Wrangler wheel bolt pattern will stay the same.
One would hope and even expect that, but it's a completely new axle from Dana, so it could change.

JK is 5x5, TJ & YJ are 5x4.5, CJ was 5x5.5 , so even the history is change.

The RAM 1500 is 5x5.5 (2500+ is 8x 6.5) so you might see the JT switch to 5x5.5 for stronger load-bearing rims and to keep JL and JT the same they both get 5x5.5.
Now they could split the two which would annoy people almost as much as splitting JK & JL initially until 5 years from now when people would just moan about JL being different from JT.

I hope they will be the same as the JK, but as we haven't seen the JL mules re-using old JK rims since they swapped to the new axle, I have some strong suspicion that they have altered the pattern, especially since they dropped the 16" rims, so they now no longer have to worry about fitting inside that smaller footprint with a 5x5.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I can't help but think, myself included, that we examine these photos not much differently than the "Jack Ryan" character, played by Alec Baldwin, did in "The Hunt for Red October," of a new fictional Soviet submarine. (Although ours is real and likely to be more accurate.)

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/c4370bcb-c1a9-48f5-b933-f9a59928a2a6

"What are those doors!" -- what turned out to be some fictional magneto propulsion system in the sides of this new fictional Soviet submarine, the "Red October"

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"What are those doors!" -- what turned out to be some fictional magneto propulsion system in the sides of this new fictional Soviet submarine, the "Red October"
Nah.. they're to launch missiles & torpedoes sideways so you can't turn into it to close the distance. :captain:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

I took the entire arm off the rear wiper of my TJ, since it was blocking my rear viz. I may do the same with the JL, though if I end up getting a JT, it won't be an issue.

Here's what I find curious about this picture, and want to know. FCA exposed this hinge, and not the one on the driver's side. I doubt this was accidental--in fact I doubt little revealed is accidental.

Contrast these hinges with stock JK:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...gler_Unlimited_2.8_CRD_(JK)_rear_20100801.jpg

There appears to be space between this passenger's side top of the hinge and the roof.

Could this be space for a double hinging mechanism that allows the back window to extent to a position such that its outside glass rests on top of the hardtop?

I had heard there was talk of this.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
The Red and Black mules have something interesting going on and I think they are mix match of parts. For example the Black mule seems like it would be a higher end Rubicon model due to the high line fenders, added lift, and painted fenders, however the Red Mule has a large bulge in the hood which looks more like the current AEV hood where the Black one has a hood like the JT CAD rendering.

Also I know a lot of your are talking about a wider rear axel which is very possible, however don't forget it could also be something as simple as increased backspacing/offset so that the larger tires clear properly.
Sponsored

Reactions: JC7