Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL DROPS MAJOR CAMO, REVEALING NEARLY ALL!

jeepney123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Train Set
I scaled the new mules to the 2017 JK's last night.

I can 100% confirm that the axle track is wider on the JL's.
Sponsored

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Love how it looks with the wider rear wheel axle track compared to the JK! :involve:

2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-rubicon-jlwranglerforums-15-jpg.jpg

2017-Jeep-Wrangler-rear-view.jpg
This is the beefed up Rubi with huge fenders and higher ride height. Can someone make this comparison with the Sahara or "smaller" rubi?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The fender flares could simply be the 'body colour' overlay (it's a 2 peice kit, I know mine got replaced after a BMW tenager took them out) their position to me means less as you can adjust them that small amount.

Yes, the lift is definitely higher on the black one based on the positions of the rock rails vs centre of rims and gap from top of tires, but why not just a Willys with a 2 inch Mopar lift?

I believe Mopar lift on lower trim model makes more sense than the Recon or a Special edition not getting at least better Rock Rails, better bumper with a spot for a winch, modular end-caps, steel rear and something worthy of a difference than just decals.

It's still early where they likely haven't even figured out all the features yet so it could be anything, especially for the likeliest of Special editions the 15A Rubi, but... one thing all Recons have had is everything that the Sahara and Rubi had.. plus Plus PLUS. There was nothing they dropped, so seing the black one without the Mirror mounted signals seems odd for the top model.
Agree with your assessment, but we are seeing distinctly 3 different fender flare types.

Sponsored

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
Love how it looks with the wider rear wheel axle track compared to the JK! :involve:

2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-rubicon-jlwranglerforums-15-jpg.jpg

2017-Jeep-Wrangler-rear-view.jpg
Overall I think I'll like it (not as if makes any difference though, haha) but there are some photos where the wider track looks, off... like too wide for the ride height at the time. It's really obvious on this photo of the JT towing:

2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-towing-4-jpg.jpg

It should look perfect with a short lift and some larger tires though, and I'm hoping the additional track/axle width allows the fitting of 35s/315s on stock wheels without the use of wheel spacers.

For those that may not have been following some of the JT threads, the JT/JL axles appear to be about 2.5" wider than JK axles.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Looking good!

But.....the back up camera is mounted on the spare wheel? Not only does that seem like a last minute and forgotten add on but no chance of a spare tire cover? Always liked the hard body coloured spare tire cover like the Polar Edition. How would that work now.
Excellent point. Worse case scenario is that the aftermarket addresses this....but true...

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I understand some of what you're pointing at, but can you elaborate on the last two pictures in terms of what's appealing? Also with the second photo, I get that the fuel door and the unlock button on the rear door are appealing - what's the appeal in the taillight? Just new and different?
Perhaps the holes in the rear bumper are (alternate) sights for backup cameras....or machine guns (lol).....(great to deal with tailgaters!)

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
For those that may not have been following some of the JT threads, the JT/JL axles appear to be about 2.5" wider than JK axles.
2.5" is much wider! Any reason why they went that much wider on the axles? The JL body doesn't look that much wider than the JK so was it done for performance reasons?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Has anyone seen the interior enough to note if the middle back seat has a head rest? I ask this based not only upon the fact that such a back seat, featuring a middle head rest, is available on the JK outside the Americas (specifically Europe I believe) but with the necessity, at least in the States, of 2018 vehicles having backup cameras, that the need for the visibility the lack of this headrest provides, might be rendered moot with the camera. Still more, on the JT, what exactly would be the middle rear passenger's "headrest" ...the back wall of the cab's glass?

Whiplash in the absence of such a headrest is one thing. Smashing the back of your head into glass (as seems to be the fate of the middle back passenger in the JT) is quite another.

Thoughts?

Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
2.5" is much wider! Any reason why they went that much wider on the axles? The JL body doesn't look that much wider than the JK so was it done for performance reasons?
The original concepts have the JT on a RAM based platform. Maybe they are Ram width axles?

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mazda3, 2013 Toyota Corolla, 1999 Lexus GS300
Now to see some 2-doors and leaked mpg numbers. Crossing fingers for 30 mpg for the 2-door Hurricane.
Concerned about the rear view camera peeking out of the center spare snapping off, lens getting scratched up, or messing with its alignment while removing and mounting the spare.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
What's with the old school antenna? Is there no where to put a bee stinger (which I prefer to shark fin style)?

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Yeah, that was outted a while back, and improves visibility.. although as I've mentioned before, they finally get around to it when they are also forced to add backup cam, oie!

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/wardrobe-malfunction-exposes-jl-wrangler-rear.1230/

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2018-wish-list.22/page-7#post-5011

It's about time though.
It appears Jeep has the washer fluid nozzle at the top of the glass with an ugly hose coiled up behind the glass. Why didn't they move the washer jet to the wiper?

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Sorry forgot to upload image....

It appears Jeep has the washer fluid nozzle at the top of the glass with an ugly hose coiled up behind the glass. Why didn't they move the washer jet to the wiper?

Also a significant amount of the rear glass appears to be blacked out along the borders. Maybe not much improved rear visibility other than the wiper being moved to bottom. What's the purpose of blacked out borders?

2018-JL-Wrangler-Uncovered-JLWRANGLERFORUMS-13.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: