Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL DROPS MAJOR CAMO, REVEALING NEARLY ALL!

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I actually like my matte black fenders on my JK. I prefer the look and I like that they are cheap to replace. Sounds like most people like painted. I like the old CJ position for signal lights too so that's one possible mod for me :)

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Just a guess

Black = Rubicon
Red = Sahara
Silver = Sport
Nope.

Black = Rubicon Recon (Black Ops?)(AEV Special edition?)
Red = Rubicon
Silver = Sport

YMMV...

Sponsored

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Good eye guys. No wonder I thought the front of the black prototype looked more aggressive. Just didn't realize why. Are we possibly going to get the high mount fenders as an option? :fingerscrossed:

Definitely looks better with the fender up against the hood line. And look at all that space for some huge tires. :clap:

2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-rubicon-jlwranglerforums-7-jpg.jpg

2018-jl-wrangler-uncovered-jlwranglerforums-3-jpg.jpg

Could it be that the new wrangler has a air lift suspension? Black one raised and red one not?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Black = Rubicon Recon (Black Ops?)(AEV Special edition?)
Red = Rubicon
Silver = Sport
That's a pretty weak Recon or Special edition difference.
You're forgetting the one that shares Rubi features right now.

I'd wager;

Black = Willys which doesn't have the upgraded extras like the signals on mirrors

Red = Regular Rubicon with Sahara+ features, but no modular front bumper and no winch hole

Silver = Sport S with the usual SRA tyres but with step rails instead of the usual cheap tube rails

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could it be that the new wrangler has a air lift suspension? Black one raised and red one not?
Air lift shouldn't change the position of the fenders against the body.

Air lift is likely on JT, but not on JL, but could happen.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
That's a pretty weak Recon or Special edition difference.
You're forgetting the one that shares Rubi features right now.

I'd wager;

Black = Willys which doesn't have the upgraded extras like the signals on mirrors

Red = Regular Rubicon with Sahara+ features, but no modular front bumper and no winch hole

Silver = Sport S with the usual SRA tyres but with step rails instead of the usual cheap tube rails
But the black one sits higher and has the high-line flares...

Sponsored

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I didn't even think of that but I bet your right considering it will need to tow more and the Ram trucks use it.
My father has it on his 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and it raises the car a significant amount! Would be awesome if it came on the JL. No lift package needed, you can lift the car when off-roading and lower when driving on public streets.

But yes looking more closely I can see the difference between fender positions and that is probably not due to a air lift.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But the black one sits higher and has the high-line flares...
The fender flares could simply be the 'body colour' overlay (it's a 2 peice kit, I know mine got replaced after a BMW tenager took them out) their position to me means less as you can adjust them that small amount.

Yes, the lift is definitely higher on the black one based on the positions of the rock rails vs centre of rims and gap from top of tires, but why not just a Willys with a 2 inch Mopar lift?

I believe Mopar lift on lower trim model makes more sense than the Recon or a Special edition not getting at least better Rock Rails, better bumper with a spot for a winch, modular end-caps, steel rear and something worthy of a difference than just decals.

It's still early where they likely haven't even figured out all the features yet so it could be anything, especially for the likeliest of Special editions the 15A Rubi, but... one thing all Recons have had is everything that the Sahara and Rubi had.. plus Plus PLUS. There was nothing they dropped, so seing the black one without the Mirror mounted signals seems odd for the top model.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
On closeup view of the driver's door handle there appear to be a small button where the left hand' thumb might go. Might this be to automatically unlock the doors with a transmitting key fob?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On closeup view of the driver's door handle there appear to be a small button where the left hand' thumb might go. Might this be to automatically unlock the doors with a transmitting key fob?
Yeah this is a known commodity..

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/ve...-entry-push-button-start-for-jl-jlu-wrangler/

and like the other FCA models the button is used to lock all doors, just touching the inside of the door handle unlocks it, pushing the button while trying to open it locks the doors and aborts the auto-unlock.
Sponsored