Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL DROPS MAJOR CAMO, REVEALING NEARLY ALL!

R3D J33P

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - Firecracker Red
I'm seeing this as well, which is concerning.

Some evidence:
1. advertised 3 piece top. There are three visible pieces there, and the sides and back window are not included.
2. Sport cage instead of sport bar implies that there is a cage, not only around the windshield, but around the entire cabin.
3. There are no seams in the camo on the back
4. They've had thick leather coverings over the rear pillars, clearly hiding something
5. The roof panels in these photos cover the roof rails entirely, still hiding something

This would be quite a drastic change, but also lends itself to the Sky Slider type of power roof.
But how will that affect the rear glass. It seems removing a 3rd panel near the rear glass would remove stability for the rear glass.
Sponsored

R3D J33P

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - Firecracker Red
I'm seeing this as well, which is concerning.

Some evidence:
1. advertised 3 piece top. There are three visible pieces there, and the sides and back window are not included.
2. Sport cage instead of sport bar implies that there is a cage, not only around the windshield, but around the entire cabin.
3. There are no seams in the camo on the back
4. They've had thick leather coverings over the rear pillars, clearly hiding something
5. The roof panels in these photos cover the roof rails entirely, still hiding something

This would be quite a drastic change, but also lends itself to the Sky Slider type of power roof.
I guess I always assumed 3 piece hardtop meant: Drive Panel, Passanger Panel, Rear Panel (Remaing top, sides, and rear Glass)......basically just a revised name for the Freedom Top.

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
The plastic on these mules has to be placeholders because right now these Jeep's look like Fisher Price toys.
I agree, in that some of the parts have the FP toy look. Kinda gross. The mirrors, that odd chunk on the tail light, and that fake black mesh in the front bumper. Whyy?

Overall, I DO love it though. I know it will grow on me. I'm still dying to see the whole interior including the automatic shift lever.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone know the rules with the DRLs in leds that all the cars are now putting on the front? Maybe they require them to be on the outermost edges of the front now. Same with the turns.

Looking at exported JKs, there are added lights to the outer bumper ( export YJs on the fender) - Maybe an export mule, maybe just one design for all markets?

jeep-wrangler-9.jpg

autowp.ru_jeep_wrangler_sport_uk-spec_5.jpg

autowp.ru_jeep_wrangler_sahara_uk-spec_6.jpg

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Also, I thought they were intending a rear window that would fold flat on top of the roof. Does that rear glass hinge look capable of that?
The hinges do look modified. Maybe they can. Maybe part of reason for extended roof gutter is to allow somewhere to strap the folded over glass down to? If the hinges are long enough - it would allow air to pass under the glass and out the back. Not sure if the actual air flow over the roof is that tight anyway...

Sponsored

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I guess I always assumed 3 piece hardtop meant: Drive Panel, Passanger Panel, Rear Panel (Remaing top, sides, and rear Glass)......basically just a revised name for the Freedom Top.
You can see a seam between the driver and passenger side of the front panels, the same as the JKU top. There are three pieces to the JKU top - front driver, front passenger, entire rear section. Here, we can see three panels, that don't include the rear section.

I'm guessing that the flip up rear window patent that we've seen comes into play somehow here too, but we're missing a big part of the puzzle somewhere.

Last edited:

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
JLU looks great even with the rough looking preproduction parts on it. The entire vehicle just looks more cohesive a design than before. The new front is the best view :like:

Roof looks like they're removable front and rear?

And I hope we're getting those BF Goodrich K02 factory tires! :please:

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Hopefully they run more mules like this from now on so we can get a glimpse of what base models will look like

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Loving the JL overall. Just still dont like the fenders, but I had a feeling that was going to be the case from day one, and that I would end up doing flat aftermarket fenders anyway. The LED turn signals in them to me look cheap and I wish they looked more like the JL Forums renderings as at least those look more modern.

Everything else I like. I like that fact the new standard bumpers is pretty much the special edition bumpers from the JK as those bumpers look great and it seems like no one changes them out for aftermarket ones, as I rarely see any used.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
Personally I love how the grille slants in more at the bottom compared to the JK's grille. To me it looks far more proportional to a traditional Jeep grille. I'm not a fan of the turn signals being in the flares and *not* in the grille though, but it wasn't a huge issue on the TJ, so I don't see it being a big issue on the JL either. People will just cut the flares or install aftermarket flares and put lights in the grille, just like everyone did on the TJ.

I still don't see where you guys are thinking this hard top is anything different from the current 3-pc JK top though... Yes, I see the full length rain gutter but there's no apparent seam running side to side at the back, other than the camo vinyl strip.

The black plastic pods on the sides of the tail lights are probably for the blind spot sensors.

Moving the license plate to the bumper is an interesting and kind of odd choice. It cleans up the body a bit but definitely complicates going to an aftermarket rear bumper, and traditionally the license plate on a Jeep has been on the body under the left tail light.

The character lines/seams in the flares are also very reminiscent of those on the factory flares on the CJ7 and YJ.

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Loving the JL overall. Just still dont like the fenders, but I had a feeling that was going to be the case from day one, and that I would end up doing flat aftermarket fenders anyway. The LED turn signals in them to me look cheap and I wish they looked more like the JL Forums renderings as at least those look more modern.

Everything else I like. I like that fact the new standard bumpers is pretty much the special edition bumpers from the JK as those bumpers look great and it seems like no one changes them out for aftermarket ones, as I rarely see any used.
not 100% sure about the fenders, but I like the overall fender design better than the JK. I have never really liked the JKs fenders. To me, the JK was the first model that had fenders that didnt blend into the grill. I wish they would have blended the JLs fenders into the grill a bit more.

2018-jl-wrangler-uncovered-jlwranglerforums-3-jpg.jpg

Jeep JK

MP-82213653-C.jpg

Jeep TJ

TJ101_1.jpg

Jeep YJ

maxresdefault.jpg

Jeep CJ
117161_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
Surely the license plate location on the stock bumper isn't a big deal, right?

If people are going to use aftermarket bumpers, they'll just also have to plan to either get an aftermarket bumper that accommodates a plan, or find an aftermarket solution for mounting the plate. It's different and will probably cost a bit more, but things are gonna change in a redesign.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The red rubi's bumper is dented. Could the bumpers be metal now?

The door handles look like they have unlock buttons on them - finally stepping into the modern world. I hope the full size key goes away. I can't believe they still don't have built in blind spot mirrors. I hope that changes.
I'm sure those bumpers are plastic, just molded to look like the 10A/HardRock bumpers.

The only vehicles mirrors I can think of with built-in blind spot mirrors are the big tow mirrors on full size trucks. Smaller vehicles are all now moving to blind spot monitor warning lights in the side mirrors. I always just pick up a set of the round convex mirrors from AutoZone to stick on all my side mirrors, haha.

They just look like the special edition bumpers, but I'm sure they're just molded plastic. But yeah, the steel 10A/Hard Rock bumpers are pretty nice, and popular. They don't last long when they do pop up for sale.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Someone else had mentioned this too, but with the disappearance of a structural anchor point at the base of the A-pillar it'll be interesting to see how full length external roof racks like KMS, Gobi, FrontRunner, etc, will work on the JL.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara