Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL DROPS MAJOR CAMO, REVEALING NEARLY ALL!

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
There is definitely a plethora of unnecessary plastics all around the car. What are those large plastic pieces sticking out of the taillights?! And the running boards on the Sahara look like the cheapest of plastics. Also, the plastic surrounding the painted fenders takes away from the premium look.
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
The grill and the front fenders really sucks. What a total disappointment. :surprised: The Jeep designers have only earned a very generous F- - for their complete and total lack of understand of Jeep "DNA". :facepalm:

Going way, way back to the beginning, Jeep has the front directional/parking lights on the grill, under the headlights. Even when the YJ dared to go "square", they still had enough respect to keep the front directional/parking lights where they belong. :crying:

3-1.jpg
They weren't there on the TJ

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Fenders look WAYYYYYY better now. But dear God that windshield slope looks awful.

R3D J33P

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - Firecracker Red
Gotta admit, the fenders with the LED's don't look as bad as I was thinking. I actually think the black trim on the painted fenders is a good thing. It will help to keep some rock chips away from the edges of the painted fenders. Still think they could have made the LED's Fender lights a tad bit more modern looking. I would guess a change in the 2019,2012 year.

The Grill is just subtle enough to still keep in line with the JK but I love the more vertical look of the grill along with the Bull Nose Hood. Gives it a way more aggressive look.

Hoping the Front Bumper ends up like the Recon with the removable sides...I am sure this is the new stock bumper and we will get an updated Special Edition Rubi bumper with the actual release.

Not sure about the Back-Up camera in the Spare Tire Mount. How Aligned is that gonna stay? How the heck do you un-mount the tire without taking the camera off?

The Rear Wiper lower.....can be a problem with Snow. When they are Higher the Snow tends not to affect the downward swipe of cleaning the glass. When lower the snow just sits on the blade and becomes useless......But thats a minor complaint and not worth not buying a new JL for.

Overall......I am pleasantly happy with the design.:clap:

AleYeah

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Sport
The grill and the front fenders really sucks. What a total disappointment. :surprised: The Jeep designers have only earned a very generous F- - for their complete and total lack of understand of Jeep "DNA". :facepalm:

Going way, way back to the beginning, Jeep has the front directional/parking lights on the grill, under the headlights. Even when the YJ dared to go "square", they still had enough respect to keep the front directional/parking lights where they belong. :crying:

3-1.jpg
But, on the TJ, they were on the flares, right?

2006_jeep_wrangler_x-pic-30027-640x480.jpg

Sponsored

R3D J33P

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

3-1.jpg

There has got to be some changes along the way or it would just be the same Jeep for 70+ years (Which I get some people would like). Little tweaks here and there and then the occasional jump back to a retro look and then some advances help keep it fresh. They can't please everyone. You have to give Jeep credit for making a vehicle look as similar as it can to its roots for sooooooooo long. Yes the jump to a 4 Door was a big one.....but a welcomed add. I am not a big YJ fan.....just because I am not a fan of the Square Head-Lights but...some people really like them....who knows maybe they will make a come back in 2025?

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor
It's been said before, but the JL is basically a reincarnated TJ. At least on the exterior. Jeep could have designated it the TJ 2.0 but that would take too long to say. I think it looks great. If one doesn't care for the new style, its all good. Just go buy the other solid axled, convertible 4x4.... oh wait, there isn't an other.

nlgrav182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
My thought is that those fenders are modular; it looks like you'll be able to remove a series of "liners" to get a high-line/high-clearance fender, taking the DRL strips with it.

Exterior remains largely the same, I'm excited for the interior.

jeepney123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Train Set
I can't see them screwing this up.

yvRL8Ue.jpg

I think what we are looking at on the mules is just placeholder parts.

Sponsored

R3D J33P

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So......No Mirror Turn Signals on the Sahara? Must be an option?

AleYeah

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Sport
My thought is that those fenders are modular; it looks like you'll be able to remove a series of "liners" to get a high-line/high-clearance fender, taking the DRL strips with it.
How sweet would it be if you could do this to accommodate larger tires while keeping a stock(ish) look? Kinda like how JK guys sometimes chop their flares... but without the chopping part (and the application of weatherstripping or whatever to make it not look like crap).

R3D J33P

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Good catch....Only thing is then you would have to do some aftermarket Turn signals. That is one problem with not having any turn signal on the grill...I guess :facepalm:

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
It looks like the roof does come off in three pieces, but the back and rear side windows would remain.
I'm seeing this as well, which is concerning.

Some evidence:
1. advertised 3 piece top. There are three visible pieces there, and the sides and back window are not included.
2. Sport cage instead of sport bar implies that there is a cage, not only around the windshield, but around the entire cabin.
3. There are no seams in the camo on the back
4. They've had thick leather coverings over the rear pillars, clearly hiding something
5. The roof panels in these photos cover the roof rails entirely, still hiding something

This would be quite a drastic change, but also lends itself to the Sky Slider type of power roof.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC

Not sure how I feel about the fenders. I don't think they will be modular. Especially if you can take the signals with it. But who knows?

I have always been a Sahara guy so I like the colored fenders. No one mentioned it but to me it looks like all JLs will get the same base fender flares and the Sahara and other body color matched trims will just get a color matched appliqué like they do for the bumpers on the JK. Kind of makes cost sense. And the look is kind of neat. But sort of cheapish. So will have to wait and see. On the other hand it may be much easier and cheaper to get the fender color match look.
Sponsored