Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL DROPS MAJOR CAMO, REVEALING NEARLY ALL!

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I would really like to see a body color top, with a painted black roof option. Also would love to see painted black fenders regardless of body color. The G wagon offers both of these options and it really makes the bright colors pop better.

IMG_5129.JPG

IMG_5131.JPG
Sponsored

Ernie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
What is the fascination with the rear glass folding over the roof? Seems like an opportunity for branches (when on the trial) to catch on it. Is there a problem with just opening the rear glass as designed today? I know at highway speeds it may blow downward. Do the aerodynamics of the current design bring fumes inside the cabin? I don't drive with the rear window open, so please enlighten me. :)
I think it's more about not having the glass sticking out like that which could cause damage to the glass or struts if it knocks into something. I'm not sure how most would use it tho.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I don't see anything that will be different about the JL hard top, design-wise, other than they moved the wiper to the bottom of the glass. I know they have it camouflaged in a weird spot and that has inspired speculation, but I'd be truly surprised if it's going to be that modular. The powered version obviously begs a lot of questions, but I doubt the standard one will be any different than the JK.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Looks like the Freedom panel retention system remains, but with better and bigger texture grip handles.
The areas also have more contoured spaces for your knuckles, especially at the centre of the audio/sport bar. There also doesn't seem to be a lot of space for padding around the top sports bar unlike in the current JK, very thick and very close to the edges.
If that centre piece is a screw-in bolt then they've been moved, if it's just another handle it may mean the bolts are gone, as I don't see another spot for them along the bar.
Also wonder what the big bordered hole is in the centre? Subwoofer similar to oval Alpine one current in rear?
You can see what looks like speaker grill holes to the outer edge.

IMG_1088.JPG

Also notice that the Sahara step-rails look better in this photo than the previous ones, and don't show the similar bend which may have been an optical illusion as an upper/lower angle looking at them flaring out to the side a little bit and in 2D that looked like a bend halfway. Or could even be shutter roll distortion.

IMG_1087.JPG
Yea the whole sport bar and latches look grippier and more contoured for grabbing. It looks like they moved the center one which clips the two panels together to be some kind of knob or turn release possibly? Or you could be right it's just a screw in bolt. I was hoping for some quicker release design changes but always the fear it could compromise the seal.

That must be the sub in the middle. I hope that doesn't mean they've consolidated the 2 rear ones for the Alpine system.

Also noticed it looks like maybe the panels get some headliner/insulation/sound deadening.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I wonder if these new jeeps will have an emergency brake that works?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if these new jeeps will have an emergency brake that works?
Lol! True! What a pain in the ass that's been on the JK. Mine hasn't worked since probably 30k miles or so, and I've got 115k now.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Lol! True! What a pain in the ass that's been on the JK. Mine hasn't worked since probably 30k miles or so, and I've got 115k now.
What happens to the ebrake? Does the caliper mechanism rust causing the ebrake to seize? Had this happen to my mustang. Ended up replacing the rear brake calipers.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No, it is the goofy spring design that won't maintain proper tension on the cables, as it is supposed to do. It really is a lousy design.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I think folding the windshield will be a very easy process in record time.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL DROPS MAJOR CAMO, REVEALING NEARLY ALL! {filename}

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL DROPS MAJOR CAMO, REVEALING NEARLY ALL! {filename}

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I think folding the windshield will be a very easy process in record time.

Just to be clear the one clip is for the freedom panel.

It is interesting to see from another picture, how the front window seems to fit in place with a tab-slot type connection and a seam the whole way down in front of the A-pillar.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think those pieces on the grab handles are nothing but trim. As a prototype, they don't always fit or grab well, so I think the one that is flipped down has just become unfastened. There doesn't appear to be anything attached to it other than the hinged part still holding it in place.

The hook at the top and the seam all appear to hint at the folding windshield.

It is fun to guess at this stuff. It will be nice to see where we were wrong and right and where there will be surprises.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
"Fun" is the Key Word ! That, and "Anticipation " . I'm falling back on those primal emotions, in case "Affordability" isn't in the cards...
This has been a great Treasure Hunt, clues, educated guesses, occasionally Facts, to keep us enthralled and hoping for the Next Great Generation of Wrangler.
Thank you !

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Not a JL, but I spotted this bad boy earlier today. The G wagon is truly the only competitor to the wrangler and this is the most off road worthy version (G500 4x4). I'm curious to see how that black JLU that was spied with a larger lift and fenders will compare to this quarter million dollar, limited, G wagon (It's that expensive because it uses front and rear portal axles and a lot of carbon fiber).

jeepney123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Train Set
Not a JL, but I spotted this bad boy earlier today. The G wagon is truly the only competitor to the wrangler and this is the most off road worthy version (G500 4x4). I'm curious to see how that black JLU that was spied with a larger lift and fenders will compare to this quarter million dollar, limited, G wagon (It's that expensive because it uses front and rear portal axles and a lot of carbon fiber).

Dynatrac offers portal assemblies for the JK.

https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemblies/jeep-jk-wrangler/prorock-portal-axle-for-jeep-jk.html

I believe the cost for front and rear is around $25k.

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
More spy shot goodies. This one with a body color hard top.

Amber lights are a big plus, but could be for overseas markets due to slightly different bumper from what we've seen before. Also, it has KMs.
Sponsored

Last edited: