Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler Aluminum Parts Confirmed by Alcoa

Brogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge
I don't like repeating CAFE complaints that I see online so often, but this could be a case where CAFE regulations costs the Wrangler buyer upfront (higher msrp?) and in repairs than the savings from efficiency gains.
Higher repair costs = higher insurance?
Sponsored

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I don't like repeating CAFE complaints that I see online so often, but this could be a case where CAFE regulations costs the Wrangler buyer upfront (higher msrp?) and in repairs than the savings from efficiency gains.
Assuming you're talking about off-roaders and their higher potential for damage, I guess it depends on how many Wrangler buyers actually use them off-road. Plenty do yes, but many more don't.

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
It's not like the fenders or bumpers will be aluminum. The hood and inner door panels?. That really shouldn't lead to a huge increase in aluminum damage, even when off roading.

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU

Brogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge
Not necessarily. According to this, IIHS estimated it cost 26% more to repair the aluminum Ford F-150 than the steel one. But insurance premiums didn't rise for the aluminum F-150.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...URANCE/308039932/pricier-insurance-for-f-150?
That article was written just a few months after the aluminum F-150 started being made though so there may not have been enough time for accidents to pile up and for insurance rates to change to reflect that.

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Can anyone estimate how many lbs would be shed, on an ECO-Wrangler, if every body panel was made of hyperlight aluminum, with strength at a minimum level?

Taimaishu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
My guess would be 300-500lbs. The F150 shed 700lbs with an all aluminum body. They would never use low strength aluminum tho, that would just exacerbate the concerns of going all aluminum.

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
Just saw this Chevy commercial and it isn't faked then I hope they aren't planning to use aluminum for the JT pickup's flatbed. Granted I'm never gonna be dumping cinderblocks on my JT bed but still would be nice to know the bed is tougher than that.

Shawn Ash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
It sounds like only the inner doors will be AL while the outer skin might still be made of steel.

My guess is this will make it lighter and easier to remove but they kept the door exterior steel to protect one of the most easily damageable areas.
Good idea also because dent repair is more difficult and more expensive with aluminum than steel.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I would seeing an all aluminum eco deisel wrangler that gets sick mileage, but is positively notorious for denting easy lol. Doors can't dent if removed ! Making it even lighter/more fuel efficient !
Sponsored