Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler (2 Door) Finally Reappears But Breaks Down

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Happy to see a 2-door will still be offered.

With weight loss of ~ 500lbs?, a new smooth 6-speed manual, 300hp Hurricane, bikini top and no doors my empty nester days will be happy!
500 pounds weight loss is expecting too much. The car isn't any smaller and might even be a bit bigger. Some parts will be lighter aluminum this time but that Alcoa internal bulletin said it'll be the doors (front and rear inners) and hood (inner and outer). Just those parts being aluminum won't save 500 pounds.
Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
500 pounds weight loss is expecting too much. The car isn't any smaller and might even be a bit bigger. Some parts will be lighter aluminum this time but that Alcoa internal bulletin said it'll be the doors (front and rear inners) and hood (inner and outer). Just those parts being aluminum won't save 500 pounds.
Itd be dope if they offered an option to have many more significant body parts made of aluminum to really cut weight and push mileage higher.

fatmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fancy new one for wifey, crappy old one for me
Good point, I have no idea what weight loss to expect, hence the question mark. I run without doors 7-8 months a year so if most weight loss is in doors and hood I won't see any difference.

Hurricane might shed some weight? And with full roll cage body maybe they could keep stiffness but simplify and lose weight? The same way non-convertibles are lighter than their convertible counterparts? Just guessing..

Since they mentioned "weight loss for efficiency" I just assumed it had to be something significant. 200lbs weight loss in a 4K lb vehicle will probably not make much difference. Which leaves all the efficiency gains up to aerodynamics and drivetrain improvements.

Hoping those are significant.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Good point, I have no idea what weight loss to expect, hence the question mark. I run without doors 7-8 months a year so if most weight loss is in doors and hood I won't see any difference.

Hurricane might shed some weight? And with full roll cage body maybe they could keep stiffness but simplify and lose weight? The same way non-convertibles are lighter than their convertible counterparts? Just guessing..

Since they mentioned "weight loss for efficiency" I just assumed it had to be something significant. 200lbs weight loss in a 4K lb vehicle will probably not make much difference. Which leaves all the efficiency gains up to aerodynamics and drivetrain improvements.

Hoping those are significant.
I think the biggest MPG gains will come from the new engines and transmissions. Aerodynamics can't improve on the JL much since it keeps our beloved brick shape :)
Sponsored