Sponsored

2018 Jeep Sahara 4 way wiring Tow harness

mrcmosx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JLU
Hi Everyone!

First post here after reading many post and also regret not getting a Jeep with the Factory 7 way factory harness installed. Moving forward, E-trailer has a 4 way flat with T-one connectors that will work on a New JL model with the exception of Sahara and Rubicon according to their website. Has anyone tried Tekonsha 118782 with a Sahara and got it to work? My intention is to run a 4 way flat and attach a 4 to 7 way hopkins converter.

I have a feeling that E-trailer might have tested Tekonsha 118782 on a Sahara/Rubicon with Rear LED and Driver assist package which my Sahara does not have. I am hoping someone here has installed it on a Sahara without Rear LED light and driver assist package to confirm compatibility.

I also came across Curt 56407 and according to CURT it is compatible with a Sahara or Rubicon.

For those wondering about Hitch, I purchased Draw-Tite 76104 after confirming with the Manufacture (Horizon) on the phone it is a direct fit. Draw Tite hitch 76104 went into production Feb 2018 and Draw Tite 75515 is the older part number and will work.

Thanks for reading!:blush:
Sponsored

OP
OP

mrcmosx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am writing up an update on this one. I am still waiting on some parts to arrive in the mail. I will be using Draw site 76104 for hitch on my 2018 Sahara JL. The wiring harness (still waiting in the mail) will be Tekonsha 118782. I will be using Hopkins #47205 to convert 4way flat to a 7 way Blade converter. I am also using Hopkins #47275 to wire 3 extra cables from 7 way blade adapter to the front battery and optional brake controller. Pic attached. Hope to get this installed in the next weekend or so. :)

IMG_1139.JPG

RGlideKid

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking forward to your thoughts on the products and the install process once completed. Take lots of pictures!!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hi Everyone!

First post here after reading many post and also regret not getting a Jeep with the Factory 7 way factory harness installed. Moving forward, E-trailer has a 4 way flat with T-one connectors that will work on a New JL model with the exception of Sahara and Rubicon according to their website. Has anyone tried Tekonsha 118782 with a Sahara and got it to work? My intention is to run a 4 way flat and attach a 4 to 7 way hopkins converter.

I have a feeling that E-trailer might have tested Tekonsha 118782 on a Sahara/Rubicon with Rear LED and Driver assist package which my Sahara does not have. I am hoping someone here has installed it on a Sahara without Rear LED light and driver assist package to confirm compatibility.

I also came across Curt 56407 and according to CURT it is compatible with a Sahara or Rubicon.

For those wondering about Hitch, I purchased Draw-Tite 76104 after confirming with the Manufacture (Horizon) on the phone it is a direct fit. Draw Tite hitch 76104 went into production Feb 2018 and Draw Tite 75515 is the older part number and will work.

Thanks for reading!:blush:

It's funny. Your link includes this exclusion you mention that wasn't there when I ordered, received, and installed without a hitch...err without a problem (I have a hitch or else why would I get this) this very product on my Sahara JL, from etrailer, without, as you describe Rear LED light and driver assist package, in early May.

The kit runs a wire of reasonable gauge directly from the positive battery terminal precisely so the existing thinner wires in the tail light, which lack ampacity to run that you might hook up to a 4 pin connector, don't supply the power.

I'm getting a feeling OP that etrailer may (I may be wrong) have written that exclusion believing all Saharas and Rubicons come with LED lights, when in fact it's an option, and should have rather written their exclusion to recognize that.

Circlep

First Name
DeWayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 04Chevy 2500HD/ duramax, Yamaha Royal Star Venture
I installed the Tekonsha wiring harness on my JL 2 dr sport this last weekend. It was fairly easy to install and works great. The hitch is a smttybuilt for a JK & JL. I'll try to post some pics later when I get a chance.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mrcmosx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will post my install after the Tekonsha kit arrives from autoanything web site. Part is back ordered till next weekend and got an e-mail today. :(

billmans

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
Hi Guys,

I am planning to install this wiring harness from Curt. The place I bought it says they just wire the power to the 12v lighter/power outlet in the back of the jeep (driver side) instead of routing to the battery directly. They suggest it makes no difference.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56407

Any issues or thoughts on this?

Thanks
Bill

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Hi Guys,

I am planning to install this wiring harness from Curt. The place I bought it says they just wire the power to the 12v lighter/power outlet in the back of the jeep (driver side) instead of routing to the battery directly. They suggest it makes no difference.

Thanks
Bill
I wouldnt. It might not have enough power for all those lights and could blow a fuse if other stuff was plugged in also. I did a post on this and ran it directly to my battery without going even through the firewall.

But if they think it would work, try it.

Alf1096

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I am in the same boat. I need a 4 pin only but if I have to go all the way to the battery I might as well do the mopar 4 and 7 pin trailer hitch as I only want to do it once. Looking to see what others say.

Hi Guys,

Thanks
Bill

psw757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Lariat fx4
Hi Guys,

Thanks
Bill
I don't see any mention of using the 12v outlet in the instructions. This custom kit says it is designed t-into existing tail light wiring. The amp draw allowed for the various signals seems appropriate and if trailer has led lighting don't see why this wouldn't work.

Sponsored

billmans

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
I don't see any mention of using the 12v outlet in the instructions. This custom kit says it is designed t-into existing tail light wiring. The amp draw allowed for the various signals seems appropriate and if trailer has led lighting don't see why this wouldn't work.
Step 11 in the instructions is to run the black cable to the battery. It was the retailer that suggested just tapping into the 12v rather than go all the way to the battery. They said this is how they do it all the time. My thoughts are it should be fine, but agree that the "right" way would be the battery. I would imagine the 12v is on its own circuit/fuse and don't really see any situation in which the trailer and 12v would be used at the same time.

All in all, its a matter of the right way, and the lazy way . :)

B

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Step 11 in the instructions is to run the black cable to the battery. It was the retailer that suggested just tapping into the 12v rather than go all the way to the battery. They said this is how they do it all the time. My thoughts are it should be fine, but agree that the "right" way would be the battery. I would imagine the 12v is on its own circuit/fuse and don't really see any situation in which the trailer and 12v would be used at the same time.

All in all, its a matter of the right way, and the lazy way . :)

B
I see no issue tapping into the 12v outlet and using it..... especially if your trailer has led lighting. Probably though, in the time it takes you to pull the panel and do the deed, plus, say 10 minutes more, you could run the wire to the battery.

Again it takes all of 15 min. to run a wire right thru the frame rail itself and up to the battery. Running the single wire is a clean run through the frame rail and can easily be done with the help of a coat hangar. Wire will cost you $5.00+.

I ran a wire through frame rail up to Aux 3 connection next to the battery.

D-Mo

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Tekonsha kit and tied into the 12v power in the rear. Very straight forward installation. Pulled a trailer for 14hrs in the past 10 days and worked great. Just didn't see a reason to run wire to the front of the Jeep if I wasn't hooking up the brake circuit.

WrangelD

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Installed the same
CUSTOM WIRING HARNESS (4-WAY FLAT OUTPUT) #56407
threaded above this weekend-12v to the battery and pretty happy with it overall-
*lacks a good mount for the flat
*barely enough wire for the lead to route 100% through the frame.
*converter refused to stay stuck on w double sided tape-ended up zip tying to the taillight itself

Still have yet to haul but tests were A+

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
From another post regarding a cargo light, they tapped into the retractable soft top wiring (seperate from 12v lighter) in the driver rear panel. As long as the fuse for that circuit is equal to or greater than the kit’s fuse, that seems like a clean way to access 12 volts in the back and have it as a dedicated line (assuming you don’t have the retractable soft top).
Sponsored