Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Punk' N
Where do I start....?

I have a 2018 Jeep JLUR with 27k miles.
Mods are as follows:

Injen intake with oil filter
TazerJL
17" Dirty Life wheels with Nitto RG 35x12.50x17 (130lb)
EVO Tire Carrier
LOD Signature Sliders

And some other stuff that not important.

I added some weight to the Jeep with the addons and also increased rolling mass by adding heavy wheels and tires.

Over the last month, I have been hearing a slight pinging sound from the engine that is usually hears at low speeds light throttle and low RPM to mid RPM (2000 - 5000). The metal gargling is usually heard when under a load. (Pulling trailer, going up steep hill, or both....etc.)

The first two oil changes I noticed that they documented 6qts of oil on the paperwork and the 3rd was only 5qts. Its my fault for not checking but really I should not have to check behind the dealer. (That is changing from now on). I thought maybe oil pressure or lack of oil pressure may have cause the impropper pressure of oil to maintain the lifter pressure of VVT pressure.

I have notified the service department of the issue the first time and they were not able to replicate the noise. They did not offer any substantial reasons for the noise and said to let them know if I heard it anymore. I asked them to look up any STAR cases and see if they could find anything related and let me know.

Over the weekend following the last oil change, I could still hear the issue so I went back to the service department with the same complaint. After talking with them again, we agreed to replace the PCV and also open a case with FCA.

They ordered the part and have had my Jeep all day today running some test that FCA requested. They contacted me and explained that the did finally hear the clicking/rattling noise and its possible that its the two-stage oil pump or the solenoid. They say that at 3000rpms, the oil pump will engage a gear change and move to a high volume stage. This sound I may be hearing is related to that function.

As of now, they are comparing to a new jeep so they can compare the two.

I will update once I have more information but if anyone else has any input on this, please comment.

TIA
Sponsored

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Twice ive heard this weird "knocking" at startup.

But literally knock, like something metal hitting another piece of metal. 3-4 times. Then stops.

I would hear this alot in the undercarriage of my 2004 Lexus. Sounded almost like the metal from the exhaust was contracting and expanding. I read somewhere long ago this is some kind of engine check? No clue. Not a car guy.

Anyway, wondering if we have the same noise and what it is. Doesnt happen often. In fact I dont remember the last time I heard it.

OP
OP
Fudgepoop

Fudgepoop

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Punk' N
Well this is not at startup. This is while driving always. The only noise I hear at startup is a squealing sound but its done that since day 1. I thin its some type of hydraulic sound increasing pressure or even the belts slipping on the belt tensioner. I have not put much thought into the squealing at all but the engine knocking concerns me.

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Ive gotten a weird gurgling sound too. Once or twice lol

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Well this is not at startup. This is while driving always. The only noise I hear at startup is a squealing sound but its done that since day 1. I thin its some type of hydraulic sound increasing pressure or even the belts slipping on the belt tensioner. I have not put much thought into the squealing at all but the engine knocking concerns me.
The squealing sound is the brake booster letting off pressure, if you just put your foot on the brake lightly it will not happen, try it.

Edit: If you just put your foot on the brake lightly while starting, you probably knew what I meant but just wanted to add that.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fudgepoop

Fudgepoop

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Punk' N
Ill give the brake test a shot.

As far as the service department, they think it may be the 6 or so timing solenoids I hear making all the noise. They replaced the PCV valve and I did not hear it driving home.

They did run all types of test and collected all types of data for FCA and opened a case with them but they do not thing the PCV valve is related to this issue. I suggested replace it because it can affect oil pressures if it’s faulty and the PCV valve is often overlooked as a cause.

If the problem still persist, I was instructed to collect data and return to the service department so they can test further and update FCA.

They did not see any misfires, spark knock, or other parameters that fall outside the normal engine running while driving with a diagnostics computer running.

Will continue to update as I get more information.

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
You have a good service department if they were willing to compare it to new and then admit they could hear it...most just take the easy way out and tell you they cannot replicate the issue. I think they just hope you will give up which is pretty much where I am with my rough idle

OP
OP
Fudgepoop

Fudgepoop

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Punk' N
So they replaced the PCV valve and this seems to have fixed the audible noise I heard. It also seems to have corrected the rough idle I was having as well. I’m still testing and not sure it’s completely resolved but the rough idle is gone.

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
May need to try replacing the PCV. I don't think I have replaced one in my life but they are easy and inexpensive

OP
OP
Fudgepoop

Fudgepoop

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Punk' N
Have warranty do it. Just let the service department know you are having issues and ask them to replace it. Let them know it’s a design change between 2018 and 2019 and you think it will resolve the issue. The part is only like $27 for them and takes them 30 mins or so to do it.

You can do it but it’s on the back of the engine and you can’t see it. It’s all done by feel. You can also check the throttle body for excessive oil buildup and that is a good indication that there is a problem.

Make sure they put 5qt of oil and not 6 like they did me twice. Don’t let them tell you 5.5 either. It’s a 5qt engine. Any extra may get pushed up the pcv hose and through the valve causing it to stick.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Have warranty do it. Just let the service department know you are having issues and ask them to replace it. Let them know it’s a design change between 2018 and 2019 and you think it will resolve the issue. The part is only like $27 for them and takes them 30 mins or so to do it.

You can do it but it’s on the back of the engine and you can’t see it. It’s all done by feel. You can also check the throttle body for excessive oil buildup and that is a good indication that there is a problem.

Make sure they put 5qt of oil and not 6 like they did me twice. Don’t let them tell you 5.5 either. It’s a 5qt engine. Any extra may get pushed up the pcv hose and through the valve causing it to stick.
Did that brake trick fix your "squeal" on start up?

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
I have the 2.0L Turbo and when I let off the gas completely (and usually only at lower RPMs), I hear a rattle-like noise. It lasts for a 3-10 seconds as a decelerate and then stops. I have been driving it like that for probably 5,000 miles (since January), so I feel like at this point I would get a CEL or something if it was detrimental to the Jeep. I also took it to the dealership and they just said it was “normal turbo noise” (I added the video for reference, sorry it’s kinda long). I think since it’s under warranty, I’ll probably take it to another Jeep dealership and get a second opinion.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I have the 2.0L Turbo and when I let off the gas completely (and usually only at lower RPMs), I hear a rattle-like noise. It lasts for a 3-10 seconds as a decelerate and then stops. I have been driving it like that for probably 5,000 miles (since January), so I feel like at this point I would get a CEL or something if it was detrimental to the Jeep. I also took it to the dealership and they just said it was “normal turbo noise” (I added the video for reference, sorry it’s kinda long). I think since it’s under warranty, I’ll probably take it to another Jeep dealership and get a second opinion.

When does the rattle start in your video?

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
When does the rattle start in your video?
It does it throughout the video. One place for sure is if you start listening at about 1 minute, 10 seconds, it'll start up right after that (by about one minute, 15 seconds)... then you can hear the difference.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Start by stating what motor, and transmission you have.
There is a TSB for low speed knock in the 2.0L but if you don't have that motor I'm wasting your and my time telling you.
Sponsored