2018 Jeep JLU Electrical Issues - Ongoing

HHGadget

First Name
Gadget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Hello all, I mostly lurk and rarely post. I am not the kind of person to complain on the forums and generally (and gratefully) search through others posts here to see if my issue is opoerator error or if there are simple, easy solutions rather than complaining or whining.

That being said i must say that I am at my wits end with the electrical issues I have had with my 2018 JLU Rubicon.
The dealer has replaced both batteries 3 times (on top of me getting sick of dealership waits and just replacing them myself - so 4 sets of batteries).
I have had the rear window defroster separate 3 times. The first two time i had the dealership repair replace, the 3rd time i took a tip from this forum and got the correct material (cant remember what it was) to sand and reattach the defroster button myself, then supported it by adding a dolop of silicone caulk a few inches down the line to remove stress).

There have been the multiple recalls (I get it, it was a first year model so I went in eyes wide open on that).

But... the amount of time i have been to the dealer in an around the electrical problems is now just beyond acceptable. Aside from the multiple batteries mentioned above (all related to ESS dash warning issues) and finally convincing the dealer the issue was the Alternator (they finally caved after vist 3 - each one taking a few days to more than two weeks to be serviced)
Just this morning, I had the car stop accelerating on the freeway (while trying to merge) and though i was fortunate enough to get off an onramp, she stalled in the middle of the offramp intersection and went into the "death start cycle" where you go to start, the dash lights up like christmas throwing warnings so fast at you that you cant read them, all while the strater seems "stuck" turning, like the old days when you held the key in the ignition to get the starter to turn.
The lights on the Automatic Shifter started blinking and i was unable to even get it in Neutral.
So, I physically switched the lever to park (indicator was flashing so i assume the shifter moving didnt actuall cause the transmission to do anything) and then got out and started rocking it back and forth as hard as I could (which wasnt much). Then i jumped back in and got it to start.
Drove out of the now snarled intersection and down some side streets gently.
The car ran completey fine after that, however I had a CEL so I got her home and checked the code.
P0007. A generic codse indicating voltage issues between the ECM and the fuel cut off valve.

The funny thing is, when I was having the (previously mentioned) battery / ESS / Alternator issues, the car did the exact same thing to me on another off ramp.
This behaviour makes me nervous to drive, what is supposed to be one of the toughest, off the lot offroaders, afraid to drive it on surface streets. Forget about going off road.
At least you can get towed off a street stall. Not always the case on some of the trails I (used) to go on.

My JLUR has 33K miles on it and it is hands down my favorite Jeep so far... when it works.
But off all the cars I have ever owned, this one has been the most unreliable, with the worst dealer support I have ever had.

I have emailed FCA on this, (they were the ones to nudge the dealership to finally fix (i thought) the issue, the alternator).

I love my JL wrangler and would keep this car forever, if only i wasnt nervous it wasnt going to strand me or put me in danger by "shutting down / freaking out" while driving it.

I certainly see why the manual version would have been a safer call.

Sorry just had to vent. I dont normally complain on a forum, just beyond frustrated at this point.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@HHGadget

IF you haven't already done so, call Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146 and have the rep open a case... Explain in detail to the Rep what has been going on...

I suggest you ask the Rep to hook you up with another Dealership Service Department.

Sounds like the dealership you have been going to, do not have Techs that can get your issues straightened out...

Perhaps each time your JLU hits their door they give it to the same inept Tech... This happens quite a bit...

Anyway, you probably should try another dealership. The Rep you spoke to will pass on info to the new dealer and ask for reports from same..

OP
OP

HHGadget

First Name
Gadget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for that and Yup, started that process. One concern is that I am "out of warranty" by a month or so. I already know what a dealership is going to say, thats why i have asked Jeep to step in. They have had 3 years to iron this out and have not.
I should have mentioned that other than interior aesthetic mods, the car is and always has been bone stock.

Again, I assumed Jeep would get this right but 3 years in and still have random electrical issues (mostly revolving around the start/stop system) but really, with the car shutting itself off randomly I am unwilling to drive on the street, let alone off road with her.

And having read these forums this is not entirely unheard of either. Also, finding a "factory" good tech in Los Angeles for a Jeep?
I am open to suggestions :)

OP
OP

HHGadget

First Name
Gadget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Welp, good news, I have 20 days left on warranty so there is that :)
Guess I should look into an extended warranty..

OP
OP

HHGadget

First Name
Gadget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Nope. Scratch that. Just spoke to Mopar about extending my coverage after speaking with with a gentleman at Jeep Customeer car and he said: A) Nope you are out of warranty and B) Nope we cant offer you an extended warranty since there is now a pre-existing condition.

Never mind that this car "came with" the pre-existing condition and it has never been resolved.

I am more pissed now than I was before.
Congrats Jeep, you just lost a customer for life. And that actually makes me a little sad.

Gonna contact a lawyer now.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Nope. Scratch that. Just spoke to Mopar about extending my coverage after speaking with with a gentleman at Jeep Customeer car and he said: A) Nope you are out of warranty and B) Nope we cant offer you an extended warranty since there is now a pre-existing condition.

Never mind that this car "came with" the pre-existing condition and it has never been resolved.

I am more pissed now than I was before.
Congrats Jeep, you just lost a customer for life. And that actually makes me a little sad.

Gonna contact a lawyer now.
you’re better off contacting a competent mechanic.

OP
OP

HHGadget

First Name
Gadget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
you’re better off contacting a competent mechanic.
Gotta an recommendations for one in Los Angeles?
Cleared the code with a code reader and now nothing. Everything is normal…

except now I don’t trust it not to suddenly go haywire for no reason again.
No off-roading no long trips…

I did notice a new symptom..
Everything works (including start stop) but turning off the start/stop used to light a green light in the dash. That no longer happens.
It still turns off start/stop but the green dash indicator light does not illuminate.

anyone ever heard of that?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Gotta an recommendations for one in Los Angeles?
Cleared the code with a code reader and now nothing. Everything is normal…

except now I don’t trust it not to suddenly go haywire for no reason again.
No off-roading no long trips…

I did notice a new symptom..
Everything works (including start stop) but turning off the start/stop used to light a green light in the dash. That no longer happens.
It still turns off start/stop but the green dash indicator light does not illuminate.

anyone ever heard of that?
clearing codes:
1. Does not fix the problem
2. Deletes important diagnostic data

OP
OP

HHGadget

First Name
Gadget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
clearing codes:
1. Does not fix the problem
2. Deletes important diagnostic data
I guess I am just a lucky fella as i triggered another cel (that then dissapeared before I can get home.
Picked upo a better scanner tool and pulled:
DTC B22A9-49 ECU Internal Performance - Internal Electronic Failure.
I google it and there is not a lot out there.
Looks like it could be the RF-HUB
-or-
the SGW.
Since i do not nor have i ever had any mods like a Tazer or such not sure where to go with this?
I do have the remote entry thing where you can touch the door handle and it will unlock if i have my fob.

-So could be battery going in FOB?
- Also, because i am an extra lucky fella, my Radio screen is delaminating. Some of the touchscreen functionality no longer works (top left of screen does not recognize touch). Any chance it is attempting to send wonky info and the SGW is blocking it and throwing the code?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I guess I am just a lucky fella as i triggered another cel (that then dissapeared before I can get home.
Picked upo a better scanner tool and pulled:
DTC B22A9-49 ECU Internal Performance - Internal Electronic Failure.
I google it and there is not a lot out there.
Looks like it could be the RF-HUB
-or-
the SGW.
Since i do not nor have i ever had any mods like a Tazer or such not sure where to go with this?
I do have the remote entry thing where you can touch the door handle and it will unlock if i have my fob.

-So could be battery going in FOB?
- Also, because i am an extra lucky fella, my Radio screen is delaminating. Some of the touchscreen functionality no longer works (top left of screen does not recognize touch). Any chance it is attempting to send wonky info and the SGW is blocking it and throwing the code?
Uhhh what? No, that code means you need to replace the module that set the code. It’s a failed self test.

Sponsored

OP
OP

HHGadget

First Name
Gadget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Uhhh what? No, that code means you need to replace the module that set the code. It’s a failed self test.
Thanks for the clarification and quick response.
And which specific module are you referring to?
RF-HUB
or SGW?
When I google that code i find references to both...

OP
OP

HHGadget

First Name
Gadget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Also to clarify your "umm what?" remark/question...

The SGM provides a firewall specifically (but not exclusively) between the radio (entertainment busses) and the rest of the vehicles busses.

Hence why i was speculating and asking if the radio head unit could be sending out faulty or corrupt info as its functionality deteriorates from delamination. Since the primary point of nefarious entry would be through the cellularly connected u-Connect system, one would expect the SGM to be on the lookout for faulty or corrupt information coming from the easiest point of entry for a hacker, the entertainment buss. One might logically assume that a delaminating head unit could feasibly be sending corrupt data and triggering the fault.

Since I am far from the only customer of FCA/Stellantis experiencing a delaminating U-Connect head unit, i thought i would ask here if others who have a similiar issue have had it throw any codes.

To whit:
"The Security Gateway Module (SGW) provides security against certain types of attacks and threats from the scan tool and entertainment buses to the rest of vehicle's buses. The SGW lies electrically between the vehicle on one side, Data Link Connector (DLC) and entertainment on the other side. The main function is to gate messages from one bus to another as the rules allow. The SGW monitors the B+ Feed, Switched Ignition Feed, CAN circuits, software and hardware for any concerns."

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Thanks for the clarification and quick response.
And which specific module are you referring to?
RF-HUB
or SGW?
When I google that code i find references to both...
Whichever module set the code is the failed part. I’m not at work or I’d look it up.

OP
OP

HHGadget

First Name
Gadget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
So the SGW Module being the one that set the code...
Assuming i can source the part, is this a dealer specific replacement or can it be done as a simple part swap?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
So the SGW Module being the one that set the code...
Assuming i can source the part, is this a dealer specific replacement or can it be done as a simple part swap?
have the dealer replace under warranty if able. Yes, it is the SGW module that needs replaced.

Programming will absolutely be needed, but the part number is 68454413AA and lists for $117.
Sponsored