2018 Jeep JL Rubicon - RIPP Supercharger Issues

brydonp

First Name
Brydon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I am new to the forums here. I own a 2018 Jeep JL Rubicon, lifted on 35s. It has approx 30k miles on it. I recently installed a RIPP Supercharger, but have had a few issues. With the system completely installed and engine started (to begin the tuning process), we heard a horrible sound coming from up-front. It sounded like marbles in the supercharger itself, or maybe like someone sticking a screwdriver up against running fan blades. Instantly powered down the vehicle.

Upon removal of the Supercharger, nothing seemed to be wrong. It spun over freely, no weird noises, nothing. We re-installed the supercharger to check for clearance issues. Nothing. So at this point, we are thinking that the belt has stretched and is slipping or something is mis-aligned causing the belt to slip out of the grooves on the pulley. I reached out to RIPP, the sent a new idler pulley (there suggestion), and a new super charger bracket (my suggestion). We also added a Green belt to the mix. Thinking if all (3) of these items were replaced, it should fix the issues, whatever it may be.

Upon installation of everything, the results were the same, less of a noise, but still the same situation. I assume it was less of a noise due to the fact that it is a new belt mixed into the equation. Troubleshooting things, we removed the supercharger and placed a 3/4" spacer in-between it and the supercharger itself. This fixed the problem 100%, however, I am not sure that it is a good idea to run it this way. Tune it? Probably. But permanent fix, I am not sure. I will call RIPP this morning to see what they think.

Has anyone had issues along these lines, or does anyone have suggestions? Pictures / Videos below.

Video with original install. Original Bracket, idler pulley, and belt:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qHWbw9q7R4gygf5T6

Video with new bracket, idler pulley, and belt installed:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iCHrFgLF4KQvAj7V9

Picture of spacer location:
spacer.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I am new to the forums here. I own a 2018 Jeep JL Rubicon, lifted on 35s. It has approx 30k miles on it. I recently installed a RIPP Supercharger, but have had a few issues. With the system completely installed and engine started (to begin the tuning process), we heard a horrible sound coming from up-front. It sounded like marbles in the supercharger itself, or maybe like someone sticking a screwdriver up against running fan blades. Instantly powered down the vehicle.

Upon removal of the Supercharger, nothing seemed to be wrong. It spun over freely, no weird noises, nothing. We re-installed the supercharger to check for clearance issues. Nothing. So at this point, we are thinking that the belt has stretched and is slipping or something is mis-aligned causing the belt to slip out of the grooves on the pulley. I reached out to RIPP, the sent a new idler pulley (there suggestion), and a new super charger bracket (my suggestion). We also added a Green belt to the mix. Thinking if all (3) of these items were replaced, it should fix the issues, whatever it may be.

Upon installation of everything, the results were the same, less of a noise, but still the same situation. I assume it was less of a noise due to the fact that it is a new belt mixed into the equation. Troubleshooting things, we removed the supercharger and placed a 3/4" spacer in-between it and the supercharger itself. This fixed the problem 100%, however, I am not sure that it is a good idea to run it this way. Tune it? Probably. But permanent fix, I am not sure. I will call RIPP this morning to see what they think.

Has anyone had issues along these lines, or does anyone have suggestions? Pictures / Videos below.

Video with original install. Original Bracket, idler pulley, and belt:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qHWbw9q7R4gygf5T6

Video with new bracket, idler pulley, and belt installed:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iCHrFgLF4KQvAj7V9

Picture of spacer location:
spacer.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Got any video of it idling with the new belt? The link just shows a video of it shutting off.

OP
OP

brydonp

First Name
Brydon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
The first link shows it running and shutting off without the spacer. This shows the belt off the pulley then jumping back down when it is shut off.

Here is a link to it idling with the spacer installed:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zDqHqj4jmSVbq8KMA
Sponsored