Sponsored

2018 Jeep JL rear main seal leak. Warrenty issue.

Mike_Darko

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU
Occupation
Web Developer
So sorry to hear this, Mike_Darko! To clarify, the Jeep is currently with the dealer? Have they provided any repair options? If you want to discuss further with us, send a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
I will do, the situations has gotten a bit more complicated, and I'm not willing to spend on repairs on a brand new vehicle under warranty.
Sponsored

Mike_Darko

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU
Occupation
Web Developer
If you have multiple crankshaft seal failures, you either need a new engine or a new technician.
I got my car back today, yesterday afternoon I was called to make a decision as they wanted to diagnose further(remove the trans) but they want me to pay for it. The vehicle spent 5 days, and I asked for pictures and they just had it on lift, not touched anything on it.

I now have an escalated case to see what can be done. I don't care if its covered or not, but for sure this is the last time I'm going off road again, I'm going to replace my now useless Nitto MT for some Prius tires, and most likely sell it next year as I'm very disappointed about this issue. I should have bought the vehicle I wanted before, and bought a used jeep, can't deal with a brand new 2020 $48k vehicle leaking oil everywhere :(

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I got my car back today, yesterday afternoon I was called to make a decision as they wanted to diagnose further(remove the trans) but they want me to pay for it. The vehicle spent 5 days, and I asked for pictures and they just had it on lift, not touched anything on it.

I now have an escalated case to see what can be done. I don't care if its covered or not, but for sure this is the last time I'm going off road again, I'm going to replace my now useless Nitto MT for some Prius tires, and most likely sell it next year as I'm very disappointed about this issue. I should have bought the vehicle I wanted before, and bought a used jeep, can't deal with a brand new 2020 $48k vehicle leaking oil everywhere :(
there is exactly no difference in the rear main seal on the JL and the 2012-18 JK. The problem is with your particular seal. It’s not a big deal. Find a new dealership.

Stefano5777

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vm.tiktok.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Stingray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My jeep started to leak oil last week and is less than a year old with just over 11k miles. I took it to the dealership and after 5 days I was told it was my rear main seal caused by mud in my transmission housing. They proceeded to tell me it will only be covered under warranty this 1 time and the vehicle was not designed to go through mud.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
My jeep started to leak oil last week and is less than a year old with just over 11k miles. I took it to the dealership and after 5 days I was told it was my rear main seal caused by mud in my transmission housing. They proceeded to tell me it will only be covered under warranty this 1 time and the vehicle was not designed to go through mud.
What is the definition of “trail rated”? We’ve all seen advertisements for Wranglers operating in tough situations.... seems like one answer is to carefully power wash the underside and seal area before a dealer visit....though it really should not matter.

Sponsored

Stefano5777

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vm.tiktok.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
What is the definition of “trail rated”? We’ve all seen advertisements for Wranglers operating in tough situations.... seems like one answer is to carefully power wash the underside and seal area before a dealer visit....though it really should not matter.
Underside was thoroughly power washed prior to visit. The mud supposedly was in the bell housing thru transmission plugs. Either way I agree with the statement about trail rated. Apperently my local dealership determines "trail rated" as traveling Down gravel roads.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Underside was thoroughly power washed prior to visit. The mud supposedly was in the bell housing thru transmission plugs. Either way I agree with the statement about trail rated. Apperently my local dealership determines "trail rated" as traveling Down gravel roads.
So the plugs were of such poor quality that they allowed muddy water (or dirt) to enter the bell housing. Sounds like a defect to me. These things are designed to go through 30 inches of water - that water will never be clean... If dirt was allowed in the housing and then a bit of water enters it would look like mud....sounds like BS to me.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Mud is obviously going to tear shit up, that’s the cost of having fun.

Stefano5777

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vm.tiktok.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Mud is obviously going to tear shit up, that’s the cost of having fun.
I do not disagree with your statement just the fact that the vehicle is under warranty and advertised to be trail rated yet when one has a failure the response is we will repair it this one time under warranty and that vehicle was not designed for the mud?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I do not disagree with your statement just the fact that the vehicle is under warranty and advertised to be trail rated yet when one has a failure the response is we will repair it this one time under warranty and that vehicle was not designed for the mud?
If you were to go rock crawling and knock a hole In your gas tank,do you think it should be covered under warranty because the rock was on a trail?

Sponsored

Stefano5777

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vm.tiktok.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If you were to go rock crawling and knock a hole In your gas tank,do you think it should be covered under warranty because the rock was on a trail?
Not here to argue or debate, was just a little taken back by the way service manager handled situation.

MikeGray

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU
So the plugs were of such poor quality that they allowed muddy water (or dirt) to enter the bell housing. Sounds like a defect to me. These things are designed to go through 30 inches of water - that water will never be clean... If dirt was allowed in the housing and then a bit of water enters it would look like mud....sounds like BS to me.
they call those inspection holes, either way, that is not the only way dirt can get it, the housing has other holes in the area.

I have discusses with shops that modify jeeps and Toyotas and they said is common, happens. more often on Toyotas which sort of made me feel better, but at the same time, who wants a $50K car with less than a year old leaking oil.

I have checked with others and jk and older models had this same issue, the shop owner I talked to said he fixed it once at the dealer and gave up, is nothing major if you check the oil.

I have seen the seal and is a very sensitive rubber lip, if heavy dirt or sand gets in, it can sort of wear it or leave a gap. Do water crossing on clean water, don't ever get stuck in mud or sand.

My biggest surprise is that the rear main seal is the faulty one, there is another seal at the front of the engine, on the transmission/ differentials, etc. you get the point, and of course, anything that requires disassembly will be costly in labor.

I got mine fixed under warranty and was told the same, only once covered, next time I will have to pay and so it happened again after like 4 months. Dealer wanted $750 to lower the transmission and inspect, contacted jeep cares and they said they do not cover inspections/diagnostics.

However, to replace the seal you have to remove the trans, in conclusion, they are making you pay for the fix, since lowering the trans is the hard part, the seal is like $70.

Also, the shop that inspected the car said that all the bolts are new, that there was no way they fixed it, they must have cleaned the seal very well and applied something to it. Makes sense why it was covered.

My second try fixing it went bad, no car for a week, all they did was put the car on a lift, since I declined and no repair was done, they charged me over $200 on the van rental I had.

Could not be happier, #jeeplife
Sponsored