Sponsored

2018 Jeep JL on its third transfer case.

JHJeep18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport Unlimited
I'm wondering if anyone else has run into issues with transfer cases. I'm currently awaiting my second replacement in 3 years. The first one went during a snow storm the first year I owned it. I was turning into the driveway and it made a groan sound and next thing I know I'm going sideways when I touch the gas. Then the jeep completely shut down and left me stranded half in the road during a snow storm. Luckily my neighbor drove by who owns a 4 wheel drive shop and he was able to get it in the driveway. It left my driveway on a flatbed. The transfer case was replaced and everything seemed fine. I only used the 4 wheel drive a few times over the next year. Then this week I'm leaving work during a snow storm and put it in 4 high to drive home. The roads had not been plowed and had about 4 inches of snow on them. I got about 2 miles down the road when I heard a click and then all the warning beeps and lights started telling me to service 4 wheel drive. Meanwhile my Jeep is now all over the road and I'm doing anything I can think of to keep control. I was able to limp it to a nearby parking lot and call for a ride and a tow. My Jeep once again left on a flatbed. Once at the shop I was informed that the transfer case was missing a part that from what they could tell had never been put into it. This spring was what holds it in 4WD. When it popped out of 4WD it further damaged components of the transfer case leading me to once again need a new transfer case. Though this time chrysler instructed the dealer to rebuild it and won't cover a new one. I will also need a new cable that connect the transfer case and apparently my universal joint was somehow loose. Starting to feel like I have a lemon. Any thoughts on this or anyone experiencing something similar. Is there any kind of recall or anything around transfer cases? Aside from having a jeep that's let me down twice already I'm starting to feel like this things not safe.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The first one was likely your fault.

the second one is a coincidence.

that’s not what a lemon is.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
That’s unfortunate really. These transfer case are pretty stout units. I wouldn’t worry about another failure happening.

OP
OP
JHJeep18

JHJeep18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport Unlimited
Coincidence? You consider incompetence a coincidence? The techs did not install a vital piece into the transfer case. That is not a coincidence, it is a failure of responsibility.
The unit comes assembled. The spring in question was an internal component discovered missing when Chrysler asked the tech to investigate the broken unit. The tech stated that spring is needed to hold the position. The transfer case was defective from the supplier/factory. Not a failure of the tech.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JHJeep18

JHJeep18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport Unlimited

"Your doing it wrong" was not their assessment. The second unit was defective...their assessment not mine.

A newish Jeep that can't reliably drive in 4wd in adverse conditions and leaves the owner stranded is what then?

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time

How did you arrive at these conclusions?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Coincidence? You consider incompetence a coincidence? The techs did not install a vital piece into the transfer case. That is not a coincidence, it is a failure of responsibility.
It wasn’t a service tech that built his transfer case.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
"Your doing it wrong" was not their assessment. The second unit was defective...their assessment not mine.

A newish Jeep that can't reliably drive in 4wd in adverse conditions and leaves the owner stranded is what then?
sounds like what happens when you turn on dry pavement. Not good.
Sponsored