2018 Jeep JL Not Starting: Insight? UPDATE REPLACED BOTH BATTERIES

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
So, I was out of town for a week. When I came back, it wouldn't start. No dash lights, no push button light, just dead. I tried jumping it with jumper cables, dash lights came on, but the engine didn't start. I did hear a click when I tried to start it.

I then used a portable jumper and got it to start, but dash warnings were flashing. When I took the jumper off the battery, the Jeep would die.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or any information that could help?
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
So, I was out of town for a week. When I came back, it wouldn't start. No dash lights, no push button light, just dead. I tried jumping it with jumper cables, dash lights came on, but the engine didn't start. I did hear a click when I tried to start it.

I then used a portable jumper and got it to start, but dash warnings were flashing. When I took the jumper off the battery, the Jeep would die.

Just a couple of many posts about this > > >

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-wont-start-complete-dash-freak-out.39439/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...r-being-left-overnight-with-push-button.4623/

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Get both batteries replaced under warranty. Don't let them just replace the main, which happens too often. One weak battery will drag down a new strong one, and will lead you right back to square one.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

Flashing dash lights seems to be a symptom of a bad aux battery. If it is bad, installing an aux battery bypass jumper or unplugging the pcr and then disconnecting the aux battery ground wire should get you running on just the main battery. You should find the related information in or linked to by this thread.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-dual-battery-consolidated-information.25377/

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeepster345

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
OP
OP
jeepster345

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
UPDATE:

Had it towed to dealer. Replaced both batteries. Service advisor said this is a common issue, not just with Jeep, but with every manufacturer that uses stop/start.

Also, if this happens to you, remind the dealer about the manual park release. My dealer had no clue about it, and told me my transmission was busted. I told them about it, and it was all good. Just goes to show you how important it is to know about your vehicle.

Thanks for everyones help. :like:

Last edited:

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
UPDATE:

Had it towed to dealer. Replaced both batteries. Service advisor said this is a common issue, not just with Jeep, but with every manufacturer that uses stop/start.

Also, if this happens to you, remind the dealer about the manual park release. My dealer had no clue about it, and told me my transmission was busted. I told them about it, and it was all good. Just goes to show you how important it is to no about your vehicle.

Thanks for everyones help. :like:
Hes not lying, i just had my ESS battery and alternator replaced at 7k miles/5 months of ownership

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
UPDATE:

Also, if this happens to you, remind the dealer about the manual park release. My dealer had no clue about it, and told me my transmission was busted. I told them about it, and it was all good. Just goes to show you how important it is to no about your vehicle.
:CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL: Classic dealer not knowing anything about their own vehicles...

I am glad your Jeep got fixed!

OP
OP
jeepster345

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
:CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL: Classic dealer not knowing anything about their own vehicles...

I am glad your Jeep got fixed!
Thanks. :)

I’m not blaming the dealer so much, more FCA. Why design a system that is completely different from what everyone is used to? I had to explain it to the tow guy and the dealer. What if I was just some random person who hadn’t done my research? We all know who would be at fault if something got damaged.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I’m not blaming the dealer so much, more FCA. Why design a system that is completely different from what everyone is used to? I had to explain it to the tow guy and the dealer. What if I was just some random person who hadn’t done my research? We all know who would be at fault if something got damaged.
The dealer should be on top of however FCA design their systems... it is the dealer... Why say the transmission is busted before even checking it? or at least checking the manual....

"we can't get the vehicle in gear, ok transmission is gone order a new one". I mean come on....

OP
OP
jeepster345

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
The dealer should be on top of however FCA design their systems... it is the dealer... Why say the transmission is busted before even checking it? or at least checking the manual....
You would think so, right? It’s a crazy, stupid world we live in. ;)

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
Keep an eye on your ESS relay, i have a pix in one of my earlier posts, also put an appropriate batt charger on each battery to get them up to perfect.

There is a bulliton on th he ess relay failure. Its on the firewall behind right front tire.

OP
OP
jeepster345

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Keep an eye on your ESS relay, i have a pix in one of my earlier posts, also put an appropriate batt charger on each battery to get them up to perfect.

There is a bulliton on th he ess relay failure. Its on the firewall behind right front tire.
Thanks for the info. I had both batteries replaced by warranty and shut off the stupid ESS. :)

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Man thats crazy that a system designed to save you very little money on gas can actually leave you stranded. Specially on a vehicle designed to be taken to remote places. Scary. I like the ESS system here in LA it makes a difference, but not worth the risk imo for those of us who take our jeeps to the wilderness!

I had an issue with mine on the first week it wouldnt work and it threw an error. It fixed itself with time, my theory is that the aux battery got discharged because the Jeep was off for so long. The battery could be damaged, perhaps I should get a new one. Dealer says it is fine since the error code magically disappeared, but sometimes my ESS wont work and it says battery charging.
Sponsored